• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung PS51D6900 Owners Thread

paulwilko

I know there is a thread, but as I assume thsi tv is the direct replacement for the C680, I assume it will be a busy thread, so thought I would do a Part 1.

Anyway, got my tv at 7.20 this morning, I also got 4 Pairs of Glasses, the 3300 range I think they are.

I had about 30 mins to set up and play before work, so this is the shortest review you will ever read :laugh:

Ok, most of what I say will be in comparison to the C680 as I have had 4 of those buggers before I got this replacement.

The stand is a nice stand, but to put on the TV means either holding it whilst someone else attaches it, or you lay it on its front which I dont like, either way, dont think its as easy as the C680 Stand even though it is nicer IMO to look at.

The TV itself IMO is a much nice looking unit with about a 1" bezel in a Matte black type finish
Its very thin, as you can see from the pic, it is slightly thicker than a PS3 game box.

Connections are different compaired to the C680
For Scart you need to use the supplied convertor which is a slight pain as it means its hanging down as you may see in the pic
The same for component and I think (not looked) for composite.
4 HDMI's
Ethernet and prob some others

Set up was a breeze, Wireless worked perfectly allowing the easy route or your own IP adds etc etc. So no need for another cable which is always a bonus

I did not tune the freeview as i dont have an aerial, just straight SKY HD for me.

Everything worked straight out of the box.

I then set up the HUB and as you can see from the pics, there does not seem to be BBCi Player. I am not sure if it is meant to be there or not, but i saw it mentioned on the other thread so assume it is meant to be.
I did some updates which then put facebook, google maps and a few others on there.
Its a nice to have, but cant see me using this HUB hardly at all. I have pc's and a ps3 for that type of stuff

For me, and based on my C680 experience, I put my Screen Burn Scrolling On to test for any banding or red blotches which I have had on all previous C680's, and to my surprise, nothing so far.

Now I am no techie in terms of picture quality, but first glance, I think this is a much nicer picture compaired to the C680.
I can't say about blacks or any filter yet because I have not even openened the manual, that will be tonight.

I will try and answer any questions as we go, but so far, i have had 30 mins to play and that is all I know

I have some aweful pictures to show you, but they are Iphone quality :-(

Cheers

Paul

Think it maybe easier for me to edit my post with any questions asked if I can answer them.

My first thought is that calibration could be difficult with that horrible blue menu. How do the 3D glasses perform? That is the huge problem with my Samsung C6900.

I see what you mean re: calibration, don't worry, when you select Brightness or whatever, it goes to a single line at the bottom.
Glasses with only a little bit of testing had no sync issues

Hi Paul,

One interesting thing I've noticed in your SmartTV picture is the 'Recorded TV' icon. Does this imply that the set has PVR capabilities? Could you check?

Thanks,

Andy.

Yes, add a USB HDD and you are gd to go, not tried it but that is how it is done

Is the web browser on your smart hub?
Nope, I don't have web browser or BBC iPlayer on my hub at all

Attachments

• IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 2,801
  • IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 1,322
  • IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 1,099
  • IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 1,452
Last edited:

rickshaw123

Standard Member
Hi, good early report, thanks.

Key question, where did you get it from because I cannot find anywhere that has the 3300 glasses in stock, I am expecting my D6900 today (7.30 would have been awesome!) but have had to but the 3100 glasses. Am desperate for 3300's.

Cheers

vader100

My first thought is that calibration could be difficult with that horrible blue menu. How do the 3D glasses perform? That is the huge problem with my Samsung C6900.

paulwilko

I think mine came direct from Samsung even though I dealt with Currys.

The glasses performed as expected, but I only looked at about 10 mins of 3D stuff but no loss of synch

Forgot to mention, I think the crosstalk is better but is deffo still there.

I have a couple of aweful Crosstalk scenes and although here is an improvement, it defo still exists

Bagpuss69

Hi Paul,

Glad you've got your replacement set. I've just spoken to John Lewis, and they are hoping to have mine later this week.

Like you, my main focus is on the quality of the panel, and the loss of sync in 3D. If they've fixed these things, then I'll probably be happy. However, I am worried about the lack of both iPlayer and the web browser. I was really looking forward to both of them. I'm hoping that Samsung won't shaft the Plasma buyers, as these features are definitely in the LED models.

One interesting thing I've noticed in your SmartTV picture is the 'Recorded TV' icon. Does this imply that the set has PVR capabilities? Could you check?

Thanks,

Andy.

paulwilko

The box certainly says about PVR but not looked yet.
I assume you attach a HDD to the set for that function.

Also, I think Browser is mentioned somewhere aswell, again I will check later and report back but wont be until tonight

As I said, BBCi Player and Browser really is the least of my worries but I know will be a miss for some of you.

Paul
Hi Paul,

Glad you've got your replacement set. I've just spoken to John Lewis, and they are hoping to have mine later this week.

Like you, my main focus is on the quality of the panel, and the loss of sync in 3D. If they've fixed these things, then I'll probably be happy. However, I am worried about the lack of both iPlayer and the web browser. I was really looking forward to both of them. I'm hoping that Samsung won't shaft the Plasma buyers, as these features are definitely in the LED models.

Thanks,

Andy.

mazon27091

I've had this TV since Saturday, and have watched it and played games and have had no burn at all! The C680 had it all the time. The picture is much better too. I haven't watched 3D as I don't have the correct glasses (I am gonna sell my old glasses to lessen the cost involved in buying the new bluetooth ones)

No banding yet, which is why I got this replacement, the C680 had it on 3 different panels that were installed by engineers.So far so good.:smashin:

I'll keep you informed

Bagpuss69

Just spotted some interesting stuff in the manual.

On page 161, it indicates that there is an 'alternative' firmware option. It looks like the TV has two areas of flash for it's system software. If you upgrade, and things get broken, you can fall back to the previous version. Sounds a bit like the 'dual BIOS' option that PCs have had for a while. This sounds like a great idea, assuming it works as advertised.

Page 227 confirms the PVR functionality. Looks like this is exclusive to the plasma sets (and the LED D8000). You need to format a HDD using the TV for this to work, but this is a really useful feature (assuming you've got an aerial or satellite connection). With the HDD connected, you also get time shifting as well (up to a maximum of 90 minutes).

Page 241 confirms that the video format support (mkv etc.) is still just as good as the C680. This is good news for me, as I want to use my set with a DLNA media server.

No mention of iPlayer or the web browser in the manual, but I'm guessing this is because the manual is for multiple territories. Am wondering if you might need to create a SmartTV account, and then login to get access to these features. Has anyone tried this?

All in all, looks like a very solid upgrade from the C680 (and C6900). Can't wait to get mine now.

Andy.

skinnywhippet

nice comments 'paulwilko and bagpuss', im looking forward to getting mine delivered, hopefully thursday. Is this a nice and light tv for mounting purposes, hopefully this will just go onto my existing 50" wall mount that currently holds my current Samsung PS50Q97HDX??

Nibbo68

Your pic of the smart hub is identical to mine. The bbc iplayer and the web browser are missing on yours too. According to Samsung and the engineer that came out yesterday they should be there. According to the engineer, it's easier to fit a new main board rather than uninstalling and reinstalling all the software. The software can't be updated as there is no update and it can't be rolled back as this is the only software to date. He seemed to think it was a problem when the set goes through the auto install process when the smart hub sets itself up for the first time.

The PVR function works great. I just used an old 320g hard drive out of an old laptop, put it in a caddy which I bought off ebay for a couple of quid, plugged it in to the tv by usb, it formatted and was ready to use.

Forgot that the stand was a pig to put on, especially on your own. You have to sort of put it on at an angle and then straighten it up. Very fiddly and held on by the smallest screws you can get.

If you're not interested in the smart hub or the wifi then I think the cheaper ps51d550 has the same panel and pq as the ps51d6900. Not sure what else is different but that's all I can tell from what I've read about.

Nibbo68

No mention of iPlayer or the web browser in the manual, but I'm guessing this is because the manual is for multiple territories. Am wondering if you might need to create a SmartTV account, and then login to get access to these features. Has anyone tried this?

Andy.

Yep, tried this and makes no difference.

paulwilko

Just a thought re: BBC iPlayer, is it possible we have non UK tv's ?

I ask because my dad had a european PS3 and when BBC iPlayer hit the PS3, only the UK models got it. A patch has since sorted that issue, but wondering if this could be the case ?

I know we have UK plugs but wonder if the board is configured for Europe ?

Paul

Nibbo68

Just a thought re: BBC iPlayer, is it possible we have non UK tv's ?

I ask because my dad had a european PS3 and when BBC iPlayer hit the PS3, only the UK models got it. A patch has since sorted that issue, but wondering if this could be the case ?

I know we have UK plugs but wonder if the board is configured for Europe ?

Paul

Knowing Samsung, anything's possible although I think it highly unlikely. If it was just the iplayer then maybe but having no web browser either which is available world wide makes me think not. I think it's also supposed to have skype as I've seen somewhere selling the tv with the samsung skype camera.
I might just hold back on sending the set back until I've found out more as I'll probably just end up with another one with the same problems. All the problems I have might just need firmware updates. Hopefully I'll find out more when more people get these sets and report back.
PQ is getting better day by day and although earlier today I was thinking of swapping this set for a Panasonic g30, i've changed my mind and will stick with this model as the quality is so good.

paulwilko

My dad has a Panasonic GT20 and for what I need, the Samsung is perfect.

It plays nearly every file under the sun via USB HDD, The Panny Doesnt !!
The picture quality is not that superior if at all IMO, so I agree with you, stick with this because if all you are missing is a Browser and BBC iPlayer, I am guessing that is a FW upgrade at some point !!!

Nearly every supplier is saying it has BBC iPlayer, but they are wording it exactly the same, so they have all maybe got the wrong end of the stick which is wrong I know, but maybe we are not meant to have the Browser or iPlayer !!

For me, I can use my PS3 for both of those and in no way would that make me send mine back

Paul

Nibbo68

paulwilko said:
My dad has a Panasonic GT20 and for what I need, the Samsung is perfect.

It plays nearly every file under the sun via USB HDD, The Panny Doesnt !!
The picture quality is not that superior if at all IMO, so I agree with you, stick with this because if all you are missing is a Browser and BBC iPlayer, I am guessing that is a FW upgrade at some point !!!

Nearly every supplier is saying it has BBC iPlayer, but they are wording it exactly the same, so they have all maybe got the wrong end of the stick which is wrong I know, but maybe we are not meant to have the Browser or iPlayer !!

For me, I can use my PS3 for both of those and in no way would that make me send mine back

Paul

The puzzling thing is, both samsung and the engineer that came out said they should be there. But then again, I'd have got more help and sense from my dog than samsung's customer service, you dont realise how bad they are until you phone them.

Nibbo68

paulwilko said:
I wonder if it is a downloadable APP ?

This suggests there are loads of apps available for download SMART-TV | SAMSUNG

Nope! All the apps that can be downloaded are on the smarthub app pages and they aren't on there either. I've been trying everything for the last week.

mentos

thanks paulwilko for the more detail on this tv.
would it be possible for a pic of the `thin` bezel please?
and possibly just general pics of the tv other than the screen?
looking forward to how you get on with this one.
thanks again

BrutUK

Standard Member
Thank you for the info so far paulwiko, look forward to more picture uploads ;)

Going by your picture you do have the 3300 glasses, may i ask where you got them from? if your UK based? Just that i got my 6900 coming Thursday from John Lewis and would like to get a pair in asap to test the 3D.

Thanks again.

jacko5

Thank you for the info so far paulwiko, look forward to more picture uploads ;)

Going by your picture you do have the 3300 glasses, may i ask where you got them from? if your UK based? Just that i got my 6900 coming Thursday from John Lewis and would like to get a pair in asap to test the 3D.

Thanks again.
Robert Whyte were expecting some in today, but I haven't checked whether or not they arrived. I am expecting a pair with my PS51D6900 being delivered on Thursday.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom