Quantcast

Samsung PS51D550 & Panasonic DMP-BDT110 3D Blu-ray Problem :O(

Hissing_Sid

Novice Member
Hi there,

Just Bought myself a Panasonic BDT110 3d Blu-ray player to go with my Sammy.

Rigged it up no probs pretty basic stuff but .....

When trying out the 2d to 3d converter on the Panny Player I get a black screen and a 'Resolution not supported' message.

Weird. In the Panny setup menu it recognizes all the HDMI signals supported by the telly and there are no incompatibilities.

But as soon as you hit the 2d to 3d mode it's no dice.

It plays DVD's, Blu-Rays and 3d Blu-Rays ok. The Sammy has it's own 2D to 3D converter if the fancy to watch Pseudo-3d ever takes me so it's not really a big problem. And the picture from the Panny is very nice but still..... I'd like all the features to work regardless of wether or not I'll use them.

Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

Cheers .... Sid

Jason Shouler

Novice Member
Something odd there as that player works fantastically well with my LG 47LD950 for 2D->3D conversion (that's the reason I bought it :thumbsup:).

It's not a simple HDMI 1.4 cable issue is it ?

Hissing_Sid

Novice Member
Something odd there as that player works fantastically well with my LG 47LD950 for 2D->3D conversion (that's the reason I bought it :thumbsup:).

It's not a simple HDMI 1.4 cable issue is it ?

Hmmmm. Not sure about the 1.4 cable.....

The player plays actual 3d blu-rays ok so I would have thought my cable is sufficient?

Jason Shouler

Novice Member
Hmmmm. Not sure about the 1.4 cable.....

The player plays actual 3d blu-rays ok so I would have thought my cable is sufficient?
Agreed :smashin:

Hopefully another Samsung owner can comment.

If you do get it working I'd be very interested to hear how you think the 2D->3D compares :)

Hissing_Sid

Novice Member
Agreed :smashin:

Hopefully another Samsung owner can comment.

If you do get it working I'd be very interested to hear how you think the 2D->3D compares :)
Yeah me too :)

Actually I'm a little confused as to wether it's a fault with the Telly or the Player..... Or perhaps an incompatibility between hardware.

Very annoying!

Hissing_Sid

Novice Member
*Solved*

I decided to update the Panny's Firmware and ....

.... Hey Presto! The 2d to 3d conversion now works!

Not a bad effect either. Obviously it can't compete with a tailor made 3d film but it's still quite effective.

Anyway the Samsung is past the break-in phase now and it's time for some fun!

Super Stardust HD in 3D on the Ps3 blew me away earlier today.

Tron 2, some popcorn and the wife are planned for tomorrow night....

Good times!

Cheers.... :smashin:

Miths

Novice Member
Out of curiosity since I've been using 2D to 3D conversion extensively with my D550, have you compared the effectiveness of the conversion done by your Blu-ray player against the 2D-3D feature on the TV?

My only 2D-3D experience has been with the D550 (aside from some less than impressive messing around with anaglyph 3D and the TriDef player on PC), and even here after a month I'm still regularly in awe of how good and consistent a job the TV does of adding depth to even the seemingly trickiest video content (though I stick to HD and some DVD material - the latter including the first two seasons of Supernatural, I have the rest on Blu-ray, that I'm currently rewatching in pseudo 3D).
It's not the extreme depth you get with a lot of native 3D content, but even this more subtle depth is more often than not quite impressive, sometimes strikingly so.

Hissing_Sid

Novice Member
Out of curiosity since I've been using 2D to 3D conversion extensively with my D550, have you compared the effectiveness of the conversion done by your Blu-ray player against the 2D-3D feature on the TV?

My only 2D-3D experience has been with the D550 (aside from some less than impressive messing around with anaglyph 3D and the TriDef player on PC), and even here after a month I'm still regularly in awe of how good and consistent a job the TV does of adding depth to even the seemingly trickiest video content (though I stick to HD and some DVD material - the latter including the first two seasons of Supernatural, I have the rest on Blu-ray, that I'm currently rewatching in pseudo 3D).
It's not the extreme depth you get with a lot of native 3D content, but even this more subtle depth is more often than not quite impressive, sometimes strikingly so.

Hey there :)

I must admit to only having watched a small sample of material with the 2d>3d on the Sammy.

The telly is quite new and up to now I've been breaking it in on low settings so haven't really played with things a great deal.

From what I've seen of the Sammys 2d>3d I thought it was ok. Not amazing but not terrible. Middle of the road kinda thing. As you said the effect is kinda subtle for the most part. It seems that some material fares better than others. I had a quick gander at the lightsaber battle in Star Wars The Phantom Menace and to be honest was kinda underwhelmed. But then I watched Gladiator and was pretty impressed.

As far as the Panny 2d>3d goes I haven't really watched much so cannot properly comment. I updated the firmware as a last resort pretty late on so when it worked I was too tired to play. I did watch a bit of The Fantastic Voyage on DVD with the effect enabled though and it looked quite good. It reminded me of the Sammy's conversion but like I said I haven't played around enough to properly comment.

To be honest I was playing PC games in stereoscopic 10 years ago with a pair of e-dimensional shutter glasses, NVidia 3d drivers and a CRT monitor so I may be a little hard to please in respect of the 3D effect. I've been spoiled I suppose. Epic online lightsaber battles in Jedi Academy with full Stereoscopic effects enabled may take some beating! :D

Superstardust on the PS3 impressed me though! I think playing a game in full 3D when sat five feet away from a 51" tv might have had something to do with that......

Cheers ..... :smashin:

Last edited: