Samsung PS51D550 Owners Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleepysheep

Standard Member
I already posted this in another thread. But as I noticed that there was not a dedicated thread for this Tv, I thought I should re-post. I hope this will be fine with the mods :smashin:

Hello, I've been a lurker on these forums for an eternity, and thought it about time I finaly joined up :)

Decided to go for the Ps51d550 as I previously had a b550. Not only that but I could not justify the price increase to my other half for the 6900.

Enough rambling. :boring:

Took hold of the 51 last Tuesday, along with two pairs of 3100 glasses. ( Very comfortable, and easily synced to the Tv )

Well I must say that the picture quality is simply stunning not only on HD through Sky, ( Some HD progs are better than others, but that's to be expected I suppose ) but on Blu-ray also. In a completely dark room, the picture quality really starts to shine. The colour range is superb, very vibrant, and on a set under £800 the black level is astounding.

I have also not encountered any IR or brightness fluctuations whatsoever.

Now let me just get this next point out of the way. During the day, the screen is very reflective. This might put alot of people off, but to be honest it never really bothered me as I tend to do the vast majority of my viewing in the evening, with no ambient lighting on whatsoever.

Also there is a faint buzz when going from bright to dark scenes, when the tv volume is really low, but honestly it is nothing off-putting. Besides, I'm sure the vast majority of people like myself will never notice this, once you crank up the amp. ( On another note, the sound from the built in tv speakers is very good. At one point on Thursday afternoon, my missus actually thought I had the amp and speakers on, and she was surprised to find it was just the tv speakers. )

3D is again top-notch. ( I only tried Coraline, Despicable me, and Saw 3D. The only time I encountered any cross-talk was a few scenes in Saw near the end, and it was so slight. Other than that, I am very impressed. ) I have tried a few progs on 2d-3d conversion. And found it to be better than what I was imagining. You can clearly see the depth going into the screen. Again, some progs were better than others, but it gets the job done.

Will add a few pics from the start of Avatar which I took tonight. ( I'm no professional photographer so please be kind :suicide: )

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Not the best pictures, but I hope you can get the gist of it.

My settings are:

Picture Mode - Movie
Cell Light - 10
Contrast - 74
Brightness - 54
Sharpness - 0
Colour - 50
Tint - G54/R46

Black Tone - Off
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Gamma - -2
Colour Space - Auto
White Balance - Left it untouched for now
Flesh Tone - 0
Edge Enhancement - Off
Motion Lighting - Off

Colour Tone - Warm 2
Film Mode - Auto1

These settings are fine for me. But just thought I'd throw them out there just incase anyone else with the same tv would like to give them a whirl. ( Best viewed after dark :smashin: )

Anyhow, sorry for the long post. Just hope this sort of helps anyone who is undecided and not sure about the set. I think it is a great telly ( easily pleased I guess ). So there we go. For a superb large screen tv, with the added bonus of 3D ( without all the internet features of the higher ranges ) and at under £800 depending on where you look. Bargain of the year I think.

James.

Last edited:

Sleepysheep

Standard Member
I did view both the 550 and 6900 side by side, and never really noticed that much difference between the screen reflections. The 6900 was slightly better in that regard, but not by much.

Last edited:

Sleepysheep

Standard Member
Ooops, sorry you were right it doesn't have PVR :rolleyes: Should really have known that. ( Blushes like a girl )

Last edited:

Sleepysheep

Standard Member
Dog, as far as I'm aware I am able to hook up an external HDD to the tv, and record onto it. Is this what you mean?

Sleepysheep

Standard Member
I think I read on an American forum a week or so ago that a few had went into the service menus and changed their D550's to a 6500 ( our 6900 ) and 7000.

I'll just wait and see tho, don't want to do anything too drastic yet.

Miths

I'm a bit concerned about the potential screen glare issue. I would really prefer to choose the D550 over the D6900 and save some money, since I don't need the extra Internet features and built-in wifi of the latter, but I do frequently watch TV in daylight.
However I always have the window blinds (dark silver color) behind my TV chair closed, so the daylight coming into the living room is from two other windows off to the side of the room (and if need be I can close the blinds on those as well, though I usually prefer not to lock myself in a dark room during the day :)).

My current Samsung M87 LCD TV has fairly obvious reflections in daylight under the conditions I listed above, but as long as I avoid movies, TV or games with extended dark scenes during the daylight hours (I just save those for the evening or night), it's not really so bad that I actually pay much attention to it after the first minute or two.
If the D550 is worse than that though, I guess it could be a problem. I hope I can get a store demo before I buy it (so far the Samsung plasma models only appears to have shown up in online stores here in Denmark) - even if it's obviously going to be under very different lighting conditions than in my living room.

Paul97

Ordered from Amazon today, can't wait to see Hi Def on it. Anyone suggest where to get a pair of specs for a reasonable price.

Paul

Paul97

Thanks Dog

Must admit thought that was a marvellous price for 2 glasses:laugh:, I know this is the wrong forum to ask but any recommendations for a 3D player?

Cheers

Paul

Sleepysheep

Standard Member
Just thought I'd post a settings update as I have logged 110 hours on this set. ( Throughout I had not changed from the settings I previously had on my first post )

New settings:

Picture Mode - Movie
Cell Light - 12
Contrast - 76
Brightness - 54
Sharpness - 0
Colour - 50
Tint - G54/R46

Black Tone - Off
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Gamma - +1
Colour Space - Auto
White Balance - Still untouched
Flesh Tone - 0
Edge Enhancement - Off
Motion Lighting - Off

Colour Tone - Warm 2
Film Mode - Auto1

All Eco settings off

Again, these settings are perfectly fine for me. Although I must say that upping the Cell Light, Contrast and Gamma slightly has vastly improved the picture clarity and overall wow factor.

Overall the picture quality is fantastic. No problems with brightness fluctuations, and the very faint buzz I was experiencing is practicaly inaudible.

Big :thumbsup: so far for this Tv.

Paul97

I've just remembered. When I was collecting my TV from costco I was chatting away with one of the staff and he said Samsung was bringing out a 3D family pack for the new bluetooth TVs but he didn't know how many glasses and 3d blu-rays it will contain.

Thanks Dog, will keep an eye out for this:smashin:.

Cheers

Paul

LIQU1D5NAKE

Can someone please post some pics and a pic of the side so i can see how thick it is compared to the 6900, also the depth in cm please!

Sleepysheep

Standard Member
Can someone please post some pics and a pic of the side so i can see how thick it is compared to the 6900, also the depth in cm please!

Sorry, I really should have taken side pics. Just measured and the depth is 6cm :)

Not really super slim like the 6900, but not a big deal.:eek:

LIQU1D5NAKE

Sorry, I really should have taken side pics. Just measured and the depth is 6cm :)

Not really super slim like the 6900, but not a big deal.:eek:

Thanks but the side of the tv is really the first thing you see when you walk in my living room so it would be a bit thick. thanks anyway.

Paul97

Thanks but the side of the tv is really the first thing you see when you walk in my living room so it would be a bit thick. thanks anyway.

6cm to thick:eek:, we are pleased with ours so far, have been playing with the 2D to 3D picture and am quite impressed. Of course this means we now have to buy a 3D Blu ray player.............straight away the wife says:D

Sleepysheep

Standard Member

I feel your pain :(

But as my set is placed in the corner of an alcove this is not a problem for me. But I can see where it might be a problem if placed in front of a straight wall.

I am just glad that I have what I would consider to be a perfect set. Absolutely no problems with line bleed, no IR at all, and no brightness fluctuations. Add to that, the black levels are astonishing in a set well under £1000. Having read some of the problems that some people are having with the 6900, a set with a depth of 6cm is really, the least of my problems.

But I can see where you are coming from. If it was me, in your position, I would likely end up going for the slimmer model.

HairyWart

Standard Member
Has anyone tried the new app "explore 3d", I downloaded and installed it today but every video I've tried to view cones up with "unsupported video codec"

Miths

I was also under the impression that Samsung Apps was one of the features missing on the 550 compared to the 6900?

mentos

how does the phone talk to the TV....wifi so you need a networked TV which would only be the 6900+

on the back of the set it has an ethernet port, which would be hardwired to your router. i have seen in local currys.

frazzo

yes then. as long as it's on the same network. I have it installed and it works really well. think i was able to contol the PS3 with it too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li