Samsung PS51D550 Owners Thread *Part 2*

Curly99

Distinguished Member
This thread is a continuation of the part 1 thread that can be found here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1449474-samsung-ps51d550-owners-thread.html

Last Post
junpit said:
be patient, took me a few goes to get it right, just press them in quick succession and don't dwell on each button too long

I read about this as well on here, though didn't see anything about cross matching or needing 2 hdmi, whats this all about, though you just had to hack the box and that's it to get some extra tweaking funcitons?

Maybe someone else can comments who has implemented the hack. I've heard the media player goes, usb etc. and also you need to cross-match.

-Darren

tbag21

I've not implmented the hack but i've read a lot about it. Basically when the hack is done it's muddles up the hdmi ports. To have two devices fully working using hdmi then you need a third plugged in doing nothing, something like an old dvd player or set top box. If you only want one hdmi device then you need two devices plugged in with one doing nothing and so one. So the outcome is that you will lose one hdmi port. Also i believe the components stop working and some people have reported issues with usb. There's a big thread over at avsforums about the hack.

junpit

Standard Member
tbag21 said:
I've not implmented the hack but i've read a lot about it. Basically when the hack is done it's muddles up the hdmi ports. To have two devices fully working using hdmi then you need a third plugged in doing nothing, something like an old dvd player or set top box. If you only want one hdmi device then you need two devices plugged in with one doing nothing and so one. So the outcome is that you will lose one hdmi port. Also i believe the components stop working and some people have reported issues with usb. There's a big thread over at avsforums about the hack.

Hi

What about the media player and the network? Any ideas....

tbag21

Have a read Link

Zus

Standard Member
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what 3D glasses you can use with the Samsung PS51D550? Is it Samsung SSG-30502/XC or SSG-P3100M/XC? Or both? Is it a case of as long as you buy Samsung 3D glasses for a Samsung TV they will work?

Thanks

mikehb

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what 3D glasses you can use with the Samsung PS51D550? Is it Samsung SSG-30502/XC or SSG-P3100M/XC? Or both? Is it a case of as long as you buy Samsung 3D glasses for a Samsung TV they will work?

Thanks

Both will work, as long as you buy glasses to match 2011 samsung t.v.'s
SSG-3050 available at Dixon/P.C. World £19.99 lighter than the 3100's

Kissing Hitler

Standard Member
Having cracked the screen of my beloved £1500 2007 PS50P96FDX it's time for a new box.
I've just ordered the Samsung PS51D550 at the great price of £640 with 2 pairs of glasses at Currys.
Do you think I can expect a vast picture quality improvement over my 2007 PS50P96FDX ?
Cheers

Last edited:

junpit

Standard Member
Hi

Ive got a problem with audio drop out when playing an mkv. It happens every so often but not so much as to make it unwatchable. I think its just audio. The video looks fine. It happens on all mkv's. I'm already running 1026.

I'm picking up the mkv files over the LAN via gigabit ethernet to a DNLA server.

Any ideas?

vaderag

Hi

Ive got a problem with audio drop out when playing an mkv. It happens every so often but not so much as to make it unwatchable. I think its just audio. The video looks fine. It happens on all mkv's. I'm already running 1026.

I'm picking up the mkv files over the LAN via gigabit ethernet to a DNLA server.

Any ideas?

I have exactly the same problem (using Serviio to stream). Only drops probably once every hour...

junpit

Standard Member
I have exactly the same problem (using Serviio to stream). Only drops probably once every hour...

Do you think this could be related to the media server or is it a problem with the tv. If so I guess I can always run allshare on my HTPC.

-Darren

vaderag

It could be - that's why i mentioned that I was using Serviio... if you are too, i'd say that that's probably the problem...

Kissing Hitler

Standard Member
Mine arrived 5 minutes ago with a pair of free glasses. I'll give my opinions over the next few days. Right I'm off to Nottingham to get ******.

n14

Standard Member
Tubbs and Poisonjam. does the led backlighting stop all front reflections ?? i am desperate for a solution to this problem.
thanks

Clueless100

Standard Member
Hey Everyone,

Very long-time lurker, and absolute tech-noob of the highest order here. :)

Firstly, I've spent hours-upon-hours reading this thread from the very beginning, and what a fantastic and informative read by the way. Anyway, I've decided to upgrade my current Sammy 50' Sammy Half H/D T.V.- to this little baby. It arrives tomorrow, and I feel like a kid at Christmas.

The problem I have at the minute, with my current set-up, is that I cant seem to get 5.1 Surround Sound from my A.V. Receiever. It only seems to play in 3/2.1 with my PS3. When the new T.V. arrives tomorrow, I would like to able to set everything up properly, and I figured that you guys would certainly know the answer to my problem. After researching through old relevant threads on here, I think I've found the answer, but I'd love clarification if possible. I would really appreciate any help with regards to this.

My current set-up is as follows...

Samsung 50' Plasma 720p.

Sony STR-DG720 Receiver

Brand new PS3 (Slim)

Virgin HD Box

Samsung 5.1 Speaker System

A Wharfedale Bass Speaker

I currently have the PS3 and Virgin HD box connected to the Sammy via HDMI. I then have an Optical Cable from the PS3, and an Optical Cable from the Virgin HD box running to the Sony STR Receiver. This is providing 2.1 DTS ( I think ?), but really I require 5.1 for everything. Games, Movies, BluRay's etc.

Is the problem the Optical Cables ? Should I be using HDMI for everything ?

My new set-up, which I want to get right from the start with my new Sammy D550, I would like it provide me with 5.1 or 6.1 (is that right with that Wharfedale Bass Speaker ?) for everything.

I have two- 3d HDMI cables, I have another two -Standard HDMI cables, and I have two Optical cables available.

Can some clever and kind person please advise the best way to set this up ?

Thanks in advance,

James.

Last edited:

w4000

Novice Member
3/2.1 = 5.1 surround sound. it means 3 front speakers (left, right and center) and two back speakers, plus one subwoofer.

G

gavinmrt

Hi just would like to mention that i have took back my samsung 46 inch d8000 which i paid best part 1500 pound for and then had refund and then ordered this 51 inch ps51d550 and i must say that straight out of the box i am much happier ps3 gaming is enjoyable again , the remote control though huge and ugly at least works properly , I can now enjoy watching movies in the dark again without big bright spots on screen , and the freeview epg now runs much quicker and is easier to navigate so i have saved nearly £1000 pound and in my opinion have a bigger and better tv and all i had to do was lose rubbish smart tv functions and as for reflections i am playing ps3 right now with no problems at all in daylight conditions. In my opinion led is not for movie lovers at all and plasma still reigns in the picture department i had a plasma before for 7 years so i should have stuck with it but was seduced by the glamour of the led d8000 but i have now seen the light or should i say lack of it.

Jape

Standard Member
I've just bought and set up this unit today, and I am very impressed with the PQ and sound quality so far. For the price it is an unbelieveable bargain! :)

Just one thing that I can't figure out, is there a way of getting the set to automatically select hdmi 1 when it is turned on? At the moment I'm having to go through the Av select button on the remote every time, and can't find any advice in the instructions :confused:

bellso

Sure when i first got this tv, i tuned the digi receiver in and had HD BBC and ITV.

Can't find them anymore?? Use Sky anyway so not an issue, just seems odd they have gone awol!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021