Samsung PS51D550 or TOSHIBA Regza 47VL863B

Ouijabored

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am torn between these two TV's. I currently have a 42" Panny Plasma and although I love it, a lot of sunlight gets into the room where it is installed meaning I have to close curtains etc if I want to use the Xbox during the day due to the reflections. So the Panny is due to move to the bedroom when the new TV arrives.

Both these sets are in the right price range for me. My main priority is the gaming experience in HD and 3D. Both sets have 16ms of input lag according to HDTVtest which is great but I am concerned that they mentioned the Toshiba as having a minor annoyance of enforced edge enhancement in the “Game” picture mode. I have read loads of reviews and am leaning towards the Toshiba but just can't decide.

Can anyone offer any advice?
Does anyone own and use these sets for gaming?
Should I not even be considering the Sammy as being a plasma it will have the same reflection problems?

Thanks all!

Hi,
I've not seen this edge enhancment, if there talkking apples and oranges there probly talking game mode and pc mode but this is the same for all sets i believe, pc mode slightly degrades the image and colours, game mode or other modes show the image as is with no slight degridation in sharpness or colours so YES, game mode does look sharper than pc but that is a life of tv's and different modes.
If i had the chioce.
Pc label or no lag game label i'd go game label everytime as on the previous lg's and toshiba's i've had pc label degrades the image, you have to have this slightly degraded image on a lg as pc is the best for lag.

Toshiba sets are awsome for gaming, even sbs gaming with the extra 3d proccessing the tv does shows the tv infront of the lg in 2d mode, well that's how it feels to me.
Can't comment on the sammy.

Thanks Mocca. I appreciate your advice. This is the actual segment in the HDTVtest review that worried me.

When we fired up our usual test game, Halo: Reach, we were happy to find that the Toshiba 47VL863B gave us a responsive, enjoyable experience in the “Game” mode, which measured just 16ms! This is a remarkably low figure for such a large LCD display. There's a minor annoyance, though: Toshiba have enforced edge enhancement in the “Game” picture mode, and lowering the [Sharpness] control only blurs the overall enhanced image, rather than removing the sharpening. Because current generation games consoles don't always do a very good job of producing anti-aliased graphics (in other words, their graphics often feature jagged edges), video games are the last place we'd want to see undefeatable edge enhancement!

I intend to pop to Currys tonight to see if they will let me hook up my Xbox and play some Gears of War to see for myself. The Toshiba will get my money if I like what I see when I get there.

Thanks Mocca. I appreciate your advice. This is the actual segment in the HDTVtest review that worried me.

When we fired up our usual test game, Halo: Reach, we were happy to find that the Toshiba 47VL863B gave us a responsive, enjoyable experience in the “Game” mode, which measured just 16ms! This is a remarkably low figure for such a large LCD display. There’s a minor annoyance, though: Toshiba have enforced edge enhancement in the “Game” picture mode, and lowering the [Sharpness] control only blurs the overall enhanced image, rather than removing the sharpening. Because current generation games consoles don’t always do a very good job of producing anti-aliased graphics (in other words, their graphics often feature jagged edges), video games are the last place we’d want to see undefeatable edge enhancement!

I intend to pop to Currys tonight to see if they will let me hook up my Xbox and play some Gears of War to see for myself. The Toshiba will get my money if I like what I see when I get there.

I have'nt seen that issue on either a 42 or 47, it's just sharper than pc label but that has been the same for all my 3dtv's.
I would'nt let it worry you, if there was anything wrong with the tosh it would of gone back ;) but instead i sold it and got a 47" ;).

I use a sli pc and 1080p, i see no issues :) apart from the same issues as every other passive, and as a passive user the passive issues are nothing ;).
My 1080p 3d looks very nice.

Cool. I'm getting all excited now!!

Seems the best price is £749 in Currys. Know of anywhere selling it cheaper by any chance?

Cool. I'm getting all excited now!!

Seems the best price is £749 in Currys. Know of anywhere selling it cheaper by any chance?

I went into my local currys and said um ar, if you can give me that with a free bluray player i'll take it or i wil go next door and see what free bluray player comet can give me, i got a free bluray lol.

I was polite and it worked, lol what use is a 3dtv without a 3dbluray player, well there's alot of use but it just does'nt sound right does it :suicide:

Hi Mocca found myself here as the lg 650 lw47 was balls for gaming. Take it you Recommend the 47vl863?

Hi Mocca found myself here as the lg 650 lw47 was balls for gaming. Take it you Recommend the 47vl863?
I can recomend the tosh over the lg 450u that replaced it.
As the tv is mostly used for gaming again i can reccomend the tosh, it fly's and fits my bill perfect.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom