Quantcast

Samsung PS51D550 or PS516900

serpico77

Distinguished Member
I have finally decided to buy one of these and was just wondering if the extra money is worth it for the 6900 model.

Is the reflection on the 550 as bad as mentioned?

How heavy are these TV's?

pros and cons
Thanks

lungwun

This is an excellent post as I want to upgrade from my panny UT30. And I wanna know if the 6900 is worth the upgrade.

deblee

Novice Member
This is an excellent post as I want to upgrade from my panny UT30. And I wanna know if the 6900 is worth the upgrade.
I had 2 UT30's why you wanting to upgrade?

The trouble is the black levels and contrast on the UT30 would IMO better the D6900 so depending on what you watch and in what conditions it may not be an upgrade at all
The screen filter on the D6900 is not as good as the ST30 so if you want similar black levels/contrast within the same price range then IMO only the St30 would suffice
I'm also looking at the D6900 (and can get it for the same sort of price as the St30) but I'm worried about the worse black levels and buzz reported on these forums
My ST30 has a truly superb picture in all conditions in my room and if it didn't have the green blobs and fan noise I'd say this was THE best TV in its price range IMO

deblee

Novice Member
I have finally decided to buy one of these and was just wondering if the extra money is worth it for the 6900 model.

Is the reflection on the 550 as bad as mentioned?

How heavy are these TV's?

pros and cons
Thanks
D6900 has a better filter, reflections are poor on the D550
Similar review scores for performance on av forums and hdtv test so picture should be similar
Your paying for a better filter, Smart etc and design
IMO the filter is quite a step up
read a few reviews may help you decide

lungwun

deblee said:
I had 2 UT30's why you wanting to upgrade?

The trouble is the black levels and contrast on the UT30 would IMO better the D6900 so depending on what you watch and in what conditions it may not be an upgrade at all
The screen filter on the D6900 is not as good as the ST30 so if you want similar black levels/contrast within the same price range then IMO only the St30 would suffice
I'm also looking at the D6900 (and can get it for the same sort of price as the St30) but I'm worried about the worse black levels and buzz reported on these forums
My ST30 has a truly superb picture in all conditions in my room and if it didn't have the green blobs and fan noise I'd say this was THE best TV in its price range IMO
As much as I love the picture and 3d on my UT, I feel a bigger screen would be better as 42" does not give enough immersion. So the next step is 51" and I am considering the D550 or 6900.
The st30 would be worth it but the price of individual glasses have put me off. I remember on Christmas day I had 4 guests and wanted to show off my 3D tech so my guests had to share 2 pairs of glasses.
Plus, panasonic, at ces debuted their new Bluetooth glasses which I think are not backwards compatible so I'd rather go for the Samsung as 3050's are approximately £19.

deblee

Novice Member
ok but as I say you may notice a difference wrt black levels
As for 3d then I'm pretty sure they would be similar although the latest panny glasses are much better IMO than the Samsung ones I tried (3100 & 3050)
Yeh I noticed Panny are moving to bluetooth as well

serpico77

Distinguished Member
deblee said:
D6900 has a better filter, reflections are poor on the D550
Similar review scores for performance on av forums and hdtv test so picture should be similar
Your paying for a better filter, Smart etc and design
IMO the filter is quite a step up
read a few reviews may help you decide
The reflection will be a killer for me.

I have a DLP 3D projector but want something that i can have set up all the time, not sure if i am doing the right thing or i should just keep my projector and use my 42" tv for every day use.

deblee

Novice Member
The reflection will be a killer for me.

I have a DLP 3D projector but want something that i can have set up all the time, not sure if i am doing the right thing or i should just keep my projector and use my 42" tv for every day use.
ALL plasmas reflect tbh, they have a glass screen so its expected but to what degree is dependent on manufacturer and the type of filters fitted