Samsung PS50QHD or Sony KDFE50A12

K

karldomingo

Sony KDFE50A12 or Samsung PS50QHD

I just can't make my mind up ! Misses likes the Sony, i suspect cause it's a bit of a bargain at the moment. Viewed both via the currys poor rf feed and in the states when the world cup was on via HD in Best Buy and feel the samsung has a better picture but in my home will there be that much diffence when viewing Sky+ via RGB scart. What do you you guys think ?

Nobody likes Sony Plasmas. Whenever I had a chance to compare Sony and Samsung, Samsung was better. But LG was even better! ;)

The Sony's the rptv 3LCD type, and at half the price comparied to the Samsung which one do I buy ? ? ? ?

karldomingo said:
The Sony's the rptv 3LCD type, and at half the price comparied to the Samsung which one do I buy ? ? ? ?
Oh, well... sorry 'bout that. Well, IMHO Plasma and RPTV yield a very different kind of picture, I guess it depends on what you like best... a pretty obvious comment tho.
I had a look at some rptv and they didn't impress me, although people say they always look awful in stores. Anyway, considering my living room is very bright probably I did the right thing buying a Plasma, I don't want to pull down shades just to have a decent look at news. I had the option of a rptv because I had 40cm depth available, yet the SD Plasma was way cheaper of the KDF. BTW, here in Italy the Sony is one of the favoured rptvs, also the 55" Sanyo got some nice reviews.
I know I may not sound that useful, I apologize for the first, quick, silly answer. :)

I've got a Pio 506 plasma and the Sony 50A12. Now the Pio obviously has the better picture but the sony isn't that bad, providing you sit a decent distance away from the screen, otherwise you might get the chicken-wire effect, plus no retention issues either and it's a fraction of the price. I would go look at both but if you're happy with the Sony picture go for that. Oh.. and you have to wait about 15 secs for sony to turn on but that's all.

Thank you very much for your reply. I started looking at the 50 inch pioneer but with the screen retension problems and young kids at home its a no no.
The sony does look like good value and as i have a 42 inch widecreen RPTV sony already it could be a cheap upgrade for me. BUT will i kick myself by not getting a plasma now ?

true, the Pio does have retention issues if not looked after properly for the first few hundred hours or so but the wife happily leaves on CBeebies and P.Disney for hours and no sign of retention at all now (check the Pio FAQ here). You'll definately notice a better picture with the Pio, why not sell what you've got and get the Pio? :smashin:

Sell the wife ! Glad you advise there's no retention issues with yours. Don't think i'd get much for mine nowadays, last one i saw on ebay went for only £150, so may put it in my son's bedroom for him to use. Very lucky 11 year old !!!!

ha ha, I wouldn't say that, I'm on screen no. 2! that said, I had one of the first 506s out of the factory with the voltage problems and suffered retention. Screen 2 has been fine and the picture is superb and I would buy another one again.

Thanks for being honest with me about your problems with your pioneer.
Just got to find something I like before she spends the money on handbags and shopping trips to Bluewater !

You can get the Samsung 50" Plasma for about £1726 delivered, if that makes any difference. I am extremely happy with the picture quality on all sources.

I've just demo'd the Samsung, and I thought the thing was awesome for the money. I had my heart set on a Pioneer Plasma, but a large percentage of Pioneer owners on here covinced me otherwise (due to screenburn).

I think for less than 2 grand, it's an amazing bit of kit. Samsung have even got the style right with the black gloss frame etc.

Only negative I got from the whole demo was that there is only 1 HDMI port. Not the end of the world though...

Has anyone heard of image retention, on this latest Samsung model? I've heard of nothing as yet from reading around.

Rich6826 said:
I've just demo'd the Samsung, and I thought the thing was awesome for the money. I had my heart set on a Pioneer Plasma, but a large percentage of Pioneer owners on here covinced me otherwise (due to screenburn).

I think for less than 2 grand, it's an amazing bit of kit. Samsung have even got the style right with the black gloss frame etc.

Only negative I got from the whole demo was that there is only 1 HDMI port. Not the end of the world though...

Has anyone heard of image retention, on this latest Samsung model? I've heard of nothing as yet from reading around.

It's got an anti screen burn thingy in one of the menu's - You can set a couple of different options, the default one being recommended.

I left the tv on all night on Saturday (had one too many) on sky sports news:eek: but having checked in the morning, couldn't see any retention whatsoever.

BIGMAX said:
It's got an anti screen burn thingy in one of the menu's - You can set a couple of different options, the default one being recommended.

I left the tv on all night on Saturday (had one too many) on sky sports news:eek: but having checked in the morning, couldn't see any retention whatsoever.

That sounds very positive. Especially as the screen isn't even run in yet (I noticed on another thread you only got it very recently)!

I don't know how usefull the anti screen burn is, as all it does if shift the image by 4 pixels left, right, up, down, etc. Sounds like this is definitly the screen for me though!:clap:

Rich6826 said:
That sounds very positive. Especially as the screen isn't even run in yet (I noticed on another thread you only got it very recently)!

I don't know how usefull the anti screen burn is, as all it does if shift the image by 4 pixels left, right, up, down, etc. Sounds like this is definitly the screen for me though!:clap:

Yeah I was bricking it a little cos I know how these things are prone to retention, my Pioneer would retain the sky sports news banner for a good while after only being on for a few minutes so I was about to leap from my top floor flat but all seems well. Should get better after being properly run in too, I have noticed a few dodgy skin tones but only briefly then it settles down, could just be bedding in as my last plasma did this but was much better after a couple of hundred hours.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom