Samsung PS50Q7HD. Any Good?

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Crabman32, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Crabman32

Crabman32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I'm just about to take the plunge and buy the above plasma set, but before I do, does anyone out there own one of these and what are they like displaying upscaled DVD's via HDMI? It's gonna cost me £1800 so I need to make sure it is right for me but I cannot find a review for it anywhere and the demo in Curry's is rubbish (as always). Help! :lease:

2. Alan P

Alan P
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had this tv for two months and it is fantastic.
    it replaced a 3 year old 50" Pioneer which i have to scrap.

I can hardly tell the differnce beween Sky SD and Sky HD, both are very good.
    There is a review of this tv in the October edition of 'what hi-fi sound and vision' where it comes out winner against 7 other high end tv's including panasonic TH50PX600 and Pioneer PDP-506XDE.

3. JGR

JGR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What Hifi sound & vision have a group test with the Samsung, Panasonic and Pioneer amongst others. Rated Samsung as best performance per pound and because of this rated it first. Looks like a cracking set for the money, bargain.

4. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,545
    Watch the below DVD Titles in any Samsung Plasma and let me know how well it looked

1.Fantastic Four - Dark Scenes - False Countouring
    2.V for Vendetta - Dark Scenes - just check out the wall background. You can find lots of patches.
    3.Spiderman-1 - Poor Picture Quality

Samsung is cheap but you don't get the perfection in the picture.

5. Wolfie666

Wolfie666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    If you go back a few pages you'll find a couple of topics about this set. It was considered a pretty good TV for both SD and HD.
    So far only one prob reported and that was about a dead pixel but the guy got the set replaced.

I've had this one for about 2 months and I'm still well pleased. Not sure about Igans observations re the 3 DVD's. I watch both Retail and Compressed and both look good.

6. Crabman32

Crabman32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks for that. That's made my mind up. Gonna order it now. :thumbsup:

7. MRadja

MRadja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had this for a month now. Picture quality is great but, I am using this with a HTPC. Picture through HDMI is not great for computer input, except when watching video/DVD/BBC HD. My other gripe is that you have to cycle through the inputs to choose the PC input everytime through one button on the remote. Fantastic value for money though.

8. Crabman32

Crabman32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks guy's. I took the plunge and ordered it today. I will delivered tomorrow. I'll let you all know what it's like a hooked up. :smashin:

9. andrewjg

andrewjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi every1.

Can you turn off the DNIe setting on the PS42Q7HD model as i have heard DVD movies look better without it? Also how many HDMI ports does it have?

thanks folks

10. Crabman32

Crabman32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I'm not sure if you can turn off the DNIe manually. Might be able to do it in the service menu but not sure. DVD playback looks fantastic on mine and if anything the DNIe helps with fast moving scenes. It only has 1 HDMI port though unfortunately, but if you need more you could always get a switcher.

11. karldomingo

karldomingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

May be your setting are incorrect as there very different to others posted (re your previous PS50Q7HD posts)
    and you seem unhappy with the picture !!!!

12. DUVET

DUVET
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey guys

i have been getting prices for the samsung PS50Q7HDX, but as i live in northern Ireland so its best for me to buy from a retailer here in NI as delivery from an english company is £100 + and the same to send it back if i have problems.

so my question.

I've recieved two good prices with a slight differences

1st Price : £2000 but includes an extra 2 years warrenty on top of the years warranty you get with the tv.

or

2nd price : £1800 but doesn't include any warranty but the 1 year you get with the tv.

both are delivered and incl vat.

what would you go for ?

cheers duvet

13. Wolfie666

Wolfie666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I think it depends on you personal philosphy re: extended Warranties.

I usually don't bother with them and work on the principle that if an electrical device is to fail theres a high probability it will happen within 6mnths or after five years.
    However I've no previous experience with plasmas the technology has been around for quite some years but I'm still very uncertain about failure rates plus this is the most expensive TV I've bought, for this I took out a 3yr extended warranty £280 but I have an option to cancel within 12 mnths and get my money back so I'm still undecided.

14. DUVET

DUVET
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've asked the company that has offered the tv with the extended warranty if they can match or get close to the £1800 price, if they can they i'll buy it :thumbsup: but if not.....................ammmmmmmm :rolleyes: i still don't know what to do.

duvet

15. Crabman32

Crabman32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Just thought I would let you all know what the Samsung PS50Q7HD is like. I ordered it from beyondtelevision.com last Thursday and it arrived the next day. I have to say, I love this set. The onboard freeview tuner works fine but fed with an HDMI signal from my Denon DVD player the picture is superb. I have since calibrated it with the DVE disc and its contrast levels are very impressive. For the money, you will not get a better 50" display anywhere. Oh, the gloss black surround looks mint too. Well chuffed.

16. DUVET

DUVET
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that, its good to hear.

how does the DVE disc work ? does it set up all your settings ? can you do it manually etc ?

how much are they and where do you get them from ?

also, how long is the power cable on the plasma ?

sorry about all the questions, still learning :lesson:

cheers duvet

17. Alan P

Alan P
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crabman

what settings did you end up with after using the DVE disc?
    I also used the DVE disc and ended up with the following settings.
    contrast 60
    brightness 56
    sharpness 11
    colour 45
    tone normal
    I found contrast impossible to get a defintive setting from the disc, as it tells you to take it just below the level where it is blooming, but it dosent bloom at all, so I had to guess the contrast level.
    Do you know if the various picture modes, movie, dynamic etc just change the standard settings, i.e contrast, brightness, colour etc, or is there some special programing specific to each mode?
    Finally, does your screen sit vertically on the stand? Mine leans back at an angle of 2 degrees. I have been on to Samsung 3 times for clarification but they havent come up with an answer. (I also asked about the picture modes and they havent responed to that either).