Samsung PS50P7HD

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by General Skanky, Dec 28, 2006.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    P not Q!

2 x HDMI plus a few other touch ups.

Anyone have a good link to this and expected price in the UK?

2. dbwinter

dbwinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    This has been reviewed in What Hifi and got 5*. We have just been comparing the Samsung PS50Q7HD to the Pioneer PDP-507XD amongst others, such as Pansonic PH50PX60 and Sharp LC-46XD1E/ LC-52XD1E.
    We viewed Freeview and 720P footage on all and the result (except for 1st place) was actually quite surprising:-

1st (10/10) = Pioneer PDP-507XD :) : Fanstastic at everything, but slightly pricey at £2099.
    2nd (8.5/10) = Samsung PS50Q7HD : Compares well up against the Pioneer and trounces everything else. Blacks are very impressive. Outstanding value at £1399.:thumbsup:
    3rd (7.5/10) = Pansonic PH50PX60 : Frame looks absolutely awful in comparison with just about anything and the image looked washed out - tried playing with the settings but no luck.:eek: This was a big surprise; saw this in 2 stores and just did not compare to the Pioneer or Samsung. Okay value at £1499.
    4th (5/10) = Sharp LC-46XD1E/ LC-52XD1E. Looks very good with 720P footage but really bad with Freeview.:suicide: This pretty much shows that LCD TVs are simply not as good as Plasmas and was the SD footage was problematic with all LCDs in the store. Poor value, unless you watch 720P and above at £2199.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    dbwinter.

Thanks for the reply.

£1399!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: Wow. (For the Q7 I take it? What about pricing for the P7?) Have you been looking at the models in the shops or in a more controlled environment?

Any links anywhere with more info on this set?

I've just downloaded the manual for a perusal. Checking things like the option to turn off DNie in the user menus to combat the brightness issued people have with the Q7.

Any links to buy? At that price it's outstanding.

4. dbwinter

dbwinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    For the Samsung PS50Q7HD:-

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~SAM-PS50Q7HD.htm

The viewings were done at Empire Direct and Currys with a variety of Freeview and HD footage. Our opinion at both stores was consistant. If it weren't for the Pioneer, I would purchase the Samsung now without question.

The PS50P7HD (2 HDMI version) is very new and I haven't seen any prices for this but did read a 5* review of it in What Hifi as I said before. Its brother, the Samsung PS50Q7HD won the 50" plasma of the year in What Hifi. The Pioneer is still slightly better though because of a slighly sharper image and better colours.

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    After a fair bit of Googling the new 50P7 is back at the £2200 mark-ish. So it'll be quite some time before that gets down to the Q7 price levels, prob sales next year!:D