Samsung ps50b551 flicker cured ?

kings monkey

Novice Member
Im 99% sure ive cured the flicker in dark scenes on my b551 thanks to the postings of a member on here called supercurro. The solution was to access the service menu and simply switch on the 24fps support option.Ive played dark scenes on bluray where previous it flickered like mad and amazingly no more flicker. I had three samsung engineer visits and they could not cure it so how did they miss something so simple?

mc11

Banned
Im 99% sure ive cured the flicker in dark scenes on my b551 thanks to the postings of a member on here called supercurro. The solution was to access the service menu and simply switch on the 24fps support option.Ive played dark scenes on bluray where previous it flickered like mad and amazingly no more flicker. I had three samsung engineer visits and they could not cure it so how did they miss something so simple?
Most likely because the engineers are useless! Most of them have basic basic general training and they haven't got a clue. It's a sad truth I'm afraid...

davidmbell

Novice Member
Can you tell us more about this? I wonder if I've missed your postings as you've a different set to mine (PS50B530) but I am on screen no2 due to flickering on dark scenes.

What was the thing you changed in the service menu, how did you get to that setting, can you take a photo etc etc.

Not that our service menu's are the same but I'm willing to give it a shot?

David

kings monkey

Novice Member
Check out the thread in this section headed DIFFERENCE IN SAMSUNG PLASMA MODELS PS50B550. Look at the postings by a spanish member by the name of SUPERCURRO, ive tried his solution and its actually cured my flicker on my blurays not really had chance to try with my skyHD. Ive also in the menu switched the 100hz option to on.Try it and tell me your findings please.

arfster

There isn't a 100hz option in the 530 service menu, it's always on - it's bizarre it would ever be off in a 550, there's absolutely no reason why it should be (shouldn't even be an option for it, makes no sense).

There also isn't a 24x4, that's cinema smooth.

kings monkey

Novice Member
My findings are that ive switched on the 24x4 support and the real 100hz option in my service menu, in my settings menu it now gives me the option of cinema smooth which wasnt on there before. When playing bluray the flicker has now dissapeared whether in movie mode or standard mode as long as cinema smooth is turned off, previously it would flicker in both modes.I watched a film on skyHD with dark scenes and it flickered in movie mode but not in standard mode where previously in flickered in both.Im not that clued up to work out what all this means, all i know is that i had three visits by samsung engineers who never went down this route and had no idea why the flicker was there.
The last engineer visit just told me they would escalate the problem to samsung tech department and then get back in touch with me. Im quite happy with the tv now apart from the movie mode flicker in skyHD and rather live with this than keep having time off work to accomadate visits by clueless samsung engineers.

kings monkey

Novice Member
Touch wood watched a lot of bluray and no sign of the flicker due to turning on the 24x4 support in the menu,and suprise suprise had a call from samsung engineers saying there coming out to the problem again for a fourth time.I ask them what they were going to do this time and would you believe it there coming to switch on a setting in the service menu, so word must have got back to samsung about this.Also with my sky hd ive found turning off the dynamic contrast stops any flicker in movie and standard mode, ive told samsung ill ring back with a date to come out to the tv again, but its fine at the moment and im loving this tv again.:smashin:

Last edited:

plasmaproblems

Standard Member
Hi, I have a Samsung PB530 that flickers like mad during dark scenes which drives me mad, mainly with tv and dvd, blu ray not too bad. I've can access service menu and then advanced (which I can get into too) but can't see any option with fps. Please help. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom