SAMSUNG PS50B451B decent?

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have the opportunity of getting this TV, but i'm having trouble finding any reviews at all!? Anyone have any experience with this TV?

Thanks.

my brother in law has the same set,looks a decent set to me i was watching some sd stuff on it and was pretty surprised how good the picture was but i cant comment on hd material as he has no hd sources.

my brother in law has the same set,looks a decent set to me i was watching some sd stuff on it and was pretty surprised how good the picture was but i cant comment on hd material as he has no hd sources.

I have had no experience with Plasma TV's at all, i would be sat around 6 foot away from the TV...ah decisions decisions.

I have had no experience with Plasma TV's at all, i would be sat around 6 foot away from the TV...ah decisions decisions.

6 foot might be close for a 50in set,you will see alot of pixelation that close,you might be better off getting something smaller(42").

This set always seems to look pretty good in shops but no one ever recommends Samsung plasmas on here. Alternatives would be the LG 50PQ3000 or the Panasonic 50X10. Might even get a full hd LG 50PS3000 depending on what your budget is.

If you're looking for 42" sets then the LG 42PQ6000 and Panasonic 42X10 seem to be the pick of the bunch. The LG is just over ÂŁ500 from Dixons and the X10 should be had for under ÂŁ600.

Hi all,

I have the opportunity of getting this TV, but i'm having trouble finding any reviews at all!? Anyone have any experience with this TV?

Thanks.

I've seen this TV in a shop (yeah, I know that's not ideal because the TVs need tweaking) and I think it displayed the best SD picture of them all.

I have recently got one of these at a not so bad ÂŁ720

I have to say I was also put off by the lack of reviews on this TV but as its not that old I can see why there arenÂ’t any.

The first impressions I got from this TV was the picture quality was very impressive even up close

Now I sit about 6 feet away from my one and you canÂ’t see the pixels, again the screen is very good

When shopping for my new TV I did go to Richer Sounds and they did try to sell me the LG6000 I believe, when I told them about the Samsung PS50B451B for ÂŁ720 they told me to get it as it has a better screen

So after 2 weeks of having this TV what do I think?

Well itÂ’s listed as a 1080i screen but my one takes 1080p with no problem

I can even output my PC to it at 1080P so I was happy about that.

The screen is better then the LGÂ’s I have seen and when looking at the other screens in the shop this one did stand out

Also using the TV with a HD input the picture is very nice with a sharp image much better then my old LG was

The one thing that is a little off on this TV is the build in speakers are how should we say, inadequate for the job

Now this will not be a problem if you have a good amp

Also Screen burn? After 2 weeks I have none unlike my mums and my frends new LGÂ’s ;)

Good setting to use?

Mode Move
Cell light 7
Contrast 100
Brightness 45
Sharpness 26
Colour 32
Tint g48/r52
Advanced
Black tone Darkest
Dynamic c medium
Gamma 0
Colour spa auto
White b no change
Flesh tone 0
Edge en on
Picture option
Size 16.9
Screen mode 16.9
Digital nr off
Hdmi black normal
Film mode auto

The ressolution is 1280x768, it is far away from 1080i. I was confused. Could you please give me a little help and clearify on the resolution info?

Many Thanks in advanced.

Regards,
Di
The physical panel will either be Full HD 1080p or HD Ready 720/768. There is no such thing as a 1080i panel. The TV will accept a 1080p signal or a 1080i signal and downscale to fit the actual physical panel.

This one is HD Ready.

That's one model and it's 1080p :rolleyes:

hi all. I just signed up to this forum to post a comment on this TV.
I picked one of these up in PC World for 800euro about 3 months ago.
The specs listed for this unit are incorrect, as far as I can make out anyway.
The specs I see for this unit are the same on PC worlds site, Pixmania, Currys, Dixons etc etc. But if you look up this unit on Samsungs website PS50B451B. There is no record of it, But there is a spec for PS50B451. Without the B.
Which is strange so are they the same model or different. I think they are different:

First off the picture does display true HD 1900x1080p. I've an Xbox 360 and PS3 both on 1080p and the picture is much sharper than 720p. I don't think the TV is downscaling.
And another thing, it is 3D ready. I've a jack on the back that clearly says 3D input. It sort of looks like a midi input crossed with S-video cable.

And that just complicates things more, because only two of the latest model 50inch Samsungs are 3D ready and they have the square bases and not the rounded ones.

I think its a good TV for a plasma. Can't go wrong with a TV so big for so cheap.
Picture on SD tv is fine, sports are fine on it too.
HD movies are look great.
I can't comment on the sound because I use my home cinema for that.

Oh one more thing 1080i means 1080 interlaced . Which basically means the odd-numbered lines of resolution appear on your screen first. Saving bandwith like posted below handy for the likes of sky.

Sorry to resurrect an old topic but I've been toying with the idea of upgrading from a 42" LCD to 50" plasma. I've been browsing the web and came across this TV in Currys for ÂŁ649.

Long story short I've bought the TV, only had it afew hours but I must say that it is amazing! PS3 does infact display at 1080p (although I'm not sure if it's saying it is and just being downscaled - is this possible? and is there a way to test?)

There is also a socket for 3D :)

If anyone is looking for a cheap 50" plasma then this I can recommend.

I have had one of these TV' for about 2 years, and have only recently got the 3D working. First of all, unless your source has a suitable graphics card, you won't get a 3D picture. I can watch 3D movies from YouTube, but I can't watch 3D programming from a satellite receiver, because it doesn't have a graphics card. Screen resolution, when viewing in 3D mode, is 1360 x 768 @60hz. The picture quality is in my view fantastic, regardless of the distance watched from, as my viewing distance can be up to 15ft.

I didn't end up getting it.. nor any 3D TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom