Samsung PS50A756T Owners thread

skipy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi just got my Samsung PS50A756T and am in the process of setting it up so I thought it is a good time to start a Owners thread back soon after a play

The first impression is it is amazing But I must say I have been with a 20in LCD for 7 weeks so it will look amazing. I have had no luck with the network side of the set it will not connect to a network giving error “the MAC address is not valid contact a local Samsung customer service” I have ring Samsung but there say there set will not connect also and they are looking into it and will ring me back:mad:

Operation Power Consumption: 750 watts :eek:

I think that might be for the 63" screen. The 756 seems to have a peak wattage of 550 (same as 656)

PHP:
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/detail/spec.do?group=television&type=television&subtype=plasma&model_cd=PS50A756T1MXXU&fullspec=F

They probably have it wrong on their website though, since as you say, the 63" specs state the same. I'm hoping the 50" set is a corker, I'm looking for a good flatscreen TV that doesn't have annoying flaws.

Hi,

Those both seem to be extremely glowing reviews - the CNET score of 9.1 is very interesting - it very rarely gives a score over 8 and only exceptionally rarely ever gives a score over 9 so the A756 must have a lot going for it. Interestingly, they did not comment at all on the black levels or how they compared to those of the Pannys or Pioneers. A big plus is that it seems this set gives a very good account account with regards to SD stuff, especially freeview which implies Samsung has finally implemented better processing. It's a real pity it does not come in a 46" version!

Suave!

up!!:thumbsup:

Unfortunately, because the 756 is exclusive to DSG at the moment, this set is going to get little mention on these forums, no matter how good it is. DSG are taking the royal p**s with the price they are asking (no competition see!). I'm going to be buying the 656 as it's £500-£700 cheaper than Dixon's 756T asking price, no matter how much i'd like it :mad:

Yes I must agree that it is pricey but as I got mine as a replacement so the price did not come into it if I was paying for it I may not have conceded it. Am on the second one as the first had a fault on the network side but I must say the picture is unbelievable on SD and blu-ray is fantastic to. The menus are not the best and I do not like the scroll wheel on the remote on the whole I agree with both reviews. There is one thing that I have not managed to do and that is to name an input you can only pick a name from a list

Unfortunately, because the 756 is exclusive to DSG at the moment, this set is going to get little mention on these forums, no matter how good it is. DSG are taking the royal p**s with the price they are asking (no competition see!). I'm going to be buying the 656 as it's £500-£700 cheaper than Dixon's 756T asking price, no matter how much i'd like it :mad:

I wonder how long its gonna be exclusive to those robbing $!%*$ !?! :mad::mad::mad:

Strange, in Holland the price difference is about 200 euro... iow, less than 200 pound!

Does anyone know how the picture quality compares to the 656? The 756 has native 100HZ where the 656 is 50HZ (it makes it 100 though). Some screens become too fluid with native 100HZ. You lose the filmic look (it's almost like you're watching the making of...)

Does anyone know how this is on the 756?
And what is the advantage of native 100HZ over the artificial 100HZ the 656 has?

Does anyone know how the picture quality compares to the 656? The 756 has native 100HZ where the 656 is 50HZ (it makes it 100 though). Some screens become too fluid with native 100HZ. You lose the filmic look (it's almost like you're watching the making of...)

Does anyone know how this is on the 756?
And what is the advantage of native 100HZ over the artificial 100HZ the 656 has?

I'd be keen to see a 656 vs 756 test as well (or at least someones opinion who has seen both!). Personally, the spec sheet for both looks pretty much identical other than 'real' 100hz and Infolink. The thing is, most people will disable the advanced image processing when calibrating a screen anyway, especially as the real 100hz feature may introduce unwanted side effects.

This would put the 656 and 756 on a more even playing field, then we'd see if the 756 was really worth £500 more!

Hope this proves to be a good contender to the Panasonic 8-series, in terms of black level performance. The PG7000 was dissapoiting in this regard, so it's out of my list. This only leaves the new Samsung PS50A756 as an alternative to Panasonic PZ80/85. I really hope this Samsung plasma handles gradations well like the Pioneer 5090, without posterization/ banding. I have a Panasonic PZ70 and it has horrible posterization in mostly low-bit content, but also with Blu-rays.

What i would like to know, is the Samsung PS50A756 a true matte screen or a glossy screen with antiglare filter? I really hope it's not a true matte, as i love glossy screens.

As far as I know it is identical to the 656, which has the glossy screen.

As far as I know it is identical to the 656, which has the glossy screen.

No, they are definetely not identical! Trustedreviews write this:
"The single greatest impact following the PS50A556 debacle comes from the startling depth of the PS50A756's black levels. The almost complete lack of greyness in dark areas of the picture thrashes anything yet seen from an LCD screen, and appears at least as good as anything Panasonic can offer with its plasmas right now. Pioneer's KURO sets can, of course, go slightly deeper still, but you'll have to spend way more for one of those than this Samsung costs you."

And from Face to Face : cameras, printers, ... - DigitalVersus you can see that Samsung LCDs at least have a measurable better blackperformance with each series (7 and 8-series are alot better than 6-series LCDs).

Samsung PS50A756T also comes with some special features, ultra bright filter and real 100hz, that the 6-series plasmas don't have.

When I watch the video on this page: Samsung PS50A756 Video, Television Reviews on CNET.co.uk you can see the movie 21 Vegas being played on the screen in de background. If you pay attention to the video you can see an awful lot of judder... This concerns me. Does anyone who owns this screen recognises this?

Well, it's possible that Samsung PS50A756T doesn't do 24p correctly, with 5:5 pulldown. In real life it probably doesn't look any near as judderish as in the cnet video. You have to remember that filmed videos have a fixed framerate too, and can cause judder to be much more noticeable.

I think this TV looks very promising, and im probably gonna buy it instead of Panasonic PZ80/85. Black levels seem to be as good as the panasonic's and false contouring seem to less of a problem than with the panasonics.

Links to reviews:
Samsung PS50A756 50in Plasma TV Review - TV Reviews - TrustedReviews
Samsung PS50A756 Full Review, Television Reviews on CNET.co.uk

What I meant was that the glossy screen is identical to the 656

Are there any plans to introduce smaller 7 series? Also, do you have to have it with that red tint? Don't get me wrong, it's different but kind of sticks out a bit too much, black would be just fine for me!

Are there any plans to introduce smaller 7 series? Also, do you have to have it with that red tint? Don't get me wrong, it's different but kind of sticks out a bit too much, black would be just fine for me!

50" and 63" only in the 7 series at the moment. The 'red' touch-of-colour is meant to be extended to blue and platinum black on the 7 series (as is available in the LCD range), but it's red only currently as far as I'm aware.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, from Belgium, and might well buy a PS50A756 on short notice.
However, I would like your input regarding how well this panel will perform when fed with SD content, for example from my satelite receiver. My wife likes to watch russian TV from Hotbird (she's russian, as you might guess) and we are worried if the unit will handle such content correctly ?
Also, I own a collection of musical DVD's, but not HD, are they going to appear nicely ?

FYI, I'm looking now at a CRT Philips 32" TV set.
My Satelite receiver is a digital one, Electron CI.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me :smashin:

:lease:

CU,

Rafael

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, from Belgium, and might well buy a PS50A756 on short notice.
However, I would like your input regarding how well this panel will perform when fed with SD content, for example from my satelite receiver. My wife likes to watch russian TV from Hotbird (she's russian, as you might guess) and we are worried if the unit will handle such content correctly ?
Also, I own a collection of musical DVD's, but not HD, are they going to appear nicely ?

FYI, I'm looking now at a CRT Philips 32" TV set.
My Satelite receiver is a digital one, Electron CI.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me :smashin:

:lease:

CU,

Rafael

From cnet:
"When we test a TV, the first footage we generally see is standard definition from Freeview. This means that our hopes are either dashed straight away, or we jump for joy. This is because Freeview is quite low quality, so how a TV deals with this really is the measure of how good the picture processing is. We were particularly thrilled to see the Samsung do an amazing job and provide a bright, accurate picture with stunning amounts of detail. It's fair to say the Samsung doesn't have the sharpest standard definition picture we've ever seen, but it's a very strong contender. Great news if you mostly watch DVDs or regular TV, which is, let's face it, most of us."

Remember this is a 50", you can't sit close watching SD-material.

Hi!

I was @ the local tv-store today and saw the 63-inch version of this tv (in sweden its called Ps63A766).Ive had no time for tweaking it but this is my short quick conclousion...

+ It´s a very BIG screen!

+ Nice design tuch with red frames.

- the black was not so good as the reviews say. Maby a inch more black then older series of Samsung.

- Picture was blurry in HD media (I was standing away more than recomended)

Overall I was quite disapionted...:thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom