Samsung PS50A456 ?

wonga555

Standard Member
Reaction score
hello everyone..first time poster but long time lurker.
firstly got to say wot impresive setup's and installs there are on this site..if only i had the extra cash and room:eek:.
anyway back to reality..having purchased the samsung ps50a456 over three weeks ago im wanting to know if i should be changing any setings to the picture menus to get the best performance out of my set ( dont get me wrong im well impressed with the quality of it) at the moment its still in all the standard setting as when it came out of the box, have got the ps3 through hdmi lead and that looks superb. but was wondering if any setings can be tweaked to get the best output from the standard sky box (skyhd is next on the wish list but may have to wait a while).
any help or advice would be most welcoming.
again great site and many thanks for reading.

wonga.....:D

Why not try a search on this site i reckon there is probably a thread on this model somewhere on here.:)

Hi wonga555, I am interested in this model and saw it in Currys connected to a HD source. It was impressive.But I would like to know your experience with SKY standart definition signal in terms of how TV handles movement and skin tones etc. I am trying to decide between this model and Philips 42PFL9632D which has very sharp, clear picture with SKY standart definition.:rolleyes:

Why not try a search on this site i reckon there is probably a thread on this model somewhere on here.:)

Yes, try the Samsung PS50A457 thread.

The P550A457 is virtually the same TV as the PS50A456, the latter being Curry's/Dixon's group "exclusive" model.

hello everyone..first time poster but long time lurker.
firstly got to say wot impresive setup's and installs there are on this site..if only i had the extra cash and room:eek:.
anyway back to reality..having purchased the samsung ps50a456 over three weeks ago im wanting to know if i should be changing any setings to the picture menus to get the best performance out of my set ( dont get me wrong im well impressed with the quality of it) at the moment its still in all the standard setting as when it came out of the box, have got the ps3 through hdmi lead and that looks superb. but was wondering if any setings can be tweaked to get the best output from the standard sky box (skyhd is next on the wish list but may have to wait a while).
any help or advice would be most welcoming.
again great site and many thanks for reading.

wonga.....:D

If your settings are still on the default settings turn them down right now! The defaults are far too high (contrast 90-100) and can seriously screw up your set, especially during the first 200 hours of use.

During the first 200 hours you really want contrast and brightness aroudn 50 and turn off dynamic contrast..

In terms of changing settings, look on www.play.com for the digital video essentials bluray disk. It will guide you through changing all the settings to get the best possible picture quality. Well worth the 14 quid or so...

I'm very interested in this TV - what are your (any owner) impressions with standard sd tv feeds?

Cheers.

@sniper

i have the ps42a456 and the pic in standard def is crap in my opinion.
theres no detail, its not sharp or clear, colours are ok, movement is ok, football aint bad.
ive messed with the settings as much as i can to no avile. this set is noware near as good as the ps42q96hd i had before it.
with the q96 SD sources looked mint i was well impressed but not with the a456.
also it has alot less features, it has no pic in pic and on most settings the processing options are greyed out and i dont think it runs @100hz.
the service menu is bare aswell and i cant access the advanced option for some reason.

hope this helps a little cheers:smashin:

That's an interesting view. I have the 50A456 and believe it compares favouarably with the equivalent Panny. The Champions League final last night on Sky was sensational in SD.

In short, I am very happy with the SD picture.

When connected to a PS3 in 1080p, there is no motion judder and the picture is fab.

Hope that helps.

... aaa .... i'm even more confused actually ... hehe ... i'm between this and a Pansonic 50PX8 ... cos there's no 50PX80 (yet? ever?) ...

So - spec wise is this Samsung on par to the px8 or the px80. For example the PX8 renders 3072 shades of gray, and the PX80 4096 ... where does this samsung fit?

also - SD pictures ... are they just blurry, or is it a mess of artifacts? this would really depend on the bit-rate (and I know freeview and sky vary)...

That's an interesting view. I have the 50A456 and believe it compares favouarably with the equivalent Panny. The Champions League final last night on Sky was sensational in SD.
Was that ITV or Sky Sports?

I 'm hanging between the Samsung PS50A456 and the LG 50PG6500.
Can anybody help me to make the right choice?

Greetings
Ruud

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom