1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung PS42V6S - Anyone know much about these ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by fatgit, Oct 7, 2005.

1. fatgit

fatgit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ebuyer are doing these for £1119.99 inc VAT at the moment, but apart from the basic specs, I'm having problems finding out if this is actually any good :)

Display

* Aspect Ratio: 16:9
    * Resolution: 852(H) x 480(V)
    * Brightness: (cd/m2) 1,500
    * Contrast Ratio: 10,000:1
    * Viewing Angle (H/V): 175°/175°

Sound
    * Power Output (RMS): 8W X 2
    * Stereo: Nicam/A2

Features
    * Number Of Colors: 16.7 Millions
    * Grey Level: 256
    * DNIe (DNIe Demo On/Off) x
    * 3D Comb filter: 4H Comb filter
    * Low Noise Reduction (LNA) LNA plus
    * PIP: 1T
    * Teletext:10 Page

Terminal
    * DVI: 1EA
    * RF: 1EA
    * Scart: 2EA
    * Component (Y/Pb/Pr): 1EA
    * Video In: 1EA
    * S-Video In: 1EA
    * PC Input (D-Sub): 1EA
    * PC Audio In: 1EA

I'll explain my needs :
    Very low budget atm of £1200 max
    Would like HD connections, but not essential, as I doubt I'll be an early adopter with sky ever again. Likewise, I'll wait for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray to slug it out for a while.

General TV viewing :
    Terrestrial Analog/Freeview (Digifusion FVRT100)
    Sky +
    Xbox
    DVD
    Ability to connect a PC would be nice, but not essential.

Ideal size is ~42 inch, but I have looked at a couple of 37's although I'd like a 42, and a tuner would be nice though an analog one wont be much use in 2.5 years :p .
    At least 2 SCART is essential.
    I've been reading up like mad for the last few days, but I think I'm just going around in circles atm :)
    I think I've just about worn out the search button on here :)

Ebuyer do a couple of cheaper ones, including budget a one at ~£900inc which may be a possibility, as I don't really need the HD connections, but I'd imagine Samsung are better than the Hisense Firstline FS4211HI :)

I know my budget is pushing it, so I'm not expecting something with the quality of a £2500 plasma.

Any info is much appreciated.

2. durain

durain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i saw that as well. did a search on pricerunner.co.uk and the cheapest is at £1039! seems a good buy.

3. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    This screen is NOT HD ready as ebuyer describe, they should KNOW that the resolution of this screen makes it impossible for it to be hd ready.

To me this is fraud and deception, it annoys me quite alot because the ill-informed will snap this up thinking its a bargain, ala tevion plasma at aldi.

4. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That depends on how they are marketing it. If they are using the HD ready logo them I would agree there is a problem.

But the Sharp P50 series of LCD's have a HDMI slot that is HDCP compliant and they have a panel resolution 980 x 540 or something like that.

They are "ready" to accept a HD signal but will down-scale it. They are not marketed as HD sets but "PAL compatable".

If the Samsung plasma in question has a HDCP dvi or hdmi slot it will accept a HD signal and downscale it to the panel resolution.

Dave

5. fatgit

fatgit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm aware that the resolution means it is not truly HDTV, and it will scale the image down, but in all honesty, that isn't going to be an issue for a couple of years.
    Sky have burned me too many times as an early adopter to even consider their HDTV for 18months+ after launch and never mind VHS vs Betamax - I was a V2000 man, so I wont choose a side on the nextgen discs for a while.

I was mainly worried about PQ and whether it would suit my needs, I cant even find this on the Samsung site, and the ebuyer PDF appears to be 0 bytes :)

6. cdpdesign

cdpdesign
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have a panasonic 1st gen viera plasma, (th42something or other). I lost this when I split with my x. Since then, I have had 3 plasmas. The first was a haier from ebuyer. There's only one word to describe that, and it's what cows leave behind! lol Terrible picture, not even worth switching on. The second was a Firstline (hisense) yet again from ebuyer. This was as bad as the haier, in fact, it was worse than the haier. the set itself was mega heavy, (almost 2x heavier than the panasonic)the remote looked like something that had been thrown together at the last minute, and to use the remote, you had to point it directly at the set and be very close. Trying to watch footy was impossible, as the players seemed to have ghosts following them!!!

I have now got the Samsung PS42V6S. It looks fantastic, easy to set up, 10000:1 contrast ratio (panny was 4000:1) but the pic is not as good as the panny. Saying that though, I paid 3k for the panasonic, so for £1120 at ebuyer, you can't really go wrong the link is here http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=97158

if your budget is tight, then go for the samsung, especially as you get a free stand with it that looks great and does the job perfectly.

7. Andykonyk

Andykonyk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy one.I think pictures is good.I make foto in one shop.I see dvd and some prog. from Sat and pictures is OK.

Attached Files:

8. plasticam

plasticam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of these and can say i am more than happy with it.

9. Andy_the_white

Andy_the_white

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of purchasing this television but the only thing I am still wondering about is what form of audio output does this model have to plug in a cinema system?