1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Ps42v4sx

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by AGC, Aug 22, 2004.

1. AGC

AGC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, can someone please help.

I have just changed my Samsung PS42P4AX for a Samsung PS42V4SX. I thought I was happy with the P4, but the buzzing was just to loud and I was not to impressed with the picture quality and I was tired of waiting for a Samsung engineer to come out and fix it.

I thought it was a good unit, but now that I have the V4, it is much much better than the P4.

The question I have is that the manual says it has PIP, but I cant get it working. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Pete

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    yep, it only works on certain combinations of inputs
    (dvi + another is one of them) so it's pretty much useless

I'm still pondering on getting one, so whats the sky digital/freeview
    pictures look like then?

3. AGC

AGC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am more than happy with the sky picture quality, damn site better than the other unit.

After reading all the threads on this site about footy, I have not noticed any bluring. If anything, every now and again when the camera angle changes, it looks like the action is in slow motion, but this only lasts for about a second and I have only noticed it happy maybe 2 or 3 times through out the whole of the match.

4. Tobez

Tobez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AGC

Does the Plasma have componant in, ive just won 1 as a prize and cant seem to find anything that says it has?

If not any ideas how u connect a componant XBOX lead to 1 or dvd player etc..

thanks

5. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi PJclark1.
    If my experience is anything to go by, don't bother.
    I was running a Sony 32"trinitron, sky,Sony DVD/SACD, Denon 3802 and 7+1 B&W 600 speakers. Great sound and picture but wanted a bigger screen

I got a V4 through JLewis about 10 days ago and its going back tomorrow to be replaced by a Pany viera 42pe30. I wasn't going to do this review until I had an opinion on the Pany , but since you asked.......

Chose the Samsung on a combination of its looks, connectivity, inclusive stand and price. The views in the forum made me worry about PQ but I took a chance. :oops:
    The looks, connectivity and stand are A1.The remote works ok but looks cheap.
    The PQ is, at very best , 7/10.Perhaps I was spoiled by my old Sony 32" crt which I gave away and cant get back! The Samsung shows good blacks and a wide colour range, but the pictures are "flat" and uninvolving with a "washed out look". Worst of all are skin tones. Faces "flare" and never look lifelike or natural. I am talking about both sky and DVD. There is loads of picture noise and background break up even on good sky broadcasts.

Believe me, I tried to improve things. I bought gold plated interconnects, tried sky on pal scart, RF, RGB scart and even bought an RGB- YUV convertor which improved things but only so that they were less crap.
    I tried every combination I could think of but could not get a good picture on sky and only a below average picture on DVD.
    And the DNIe is an absolute joke. I can't bring myself to even start...

Any good news? Yes. John Lewis are superb. They price matched Miller Bros
    to £1995. I know this is £250 above others but with a 5yr warrenty I felt happier.And it turned up on time with 2 blokes to lift it in.
    And now I want rid of it they have refunded my money and price matched another JL on the Pany viera, stand and DMRE55 DVD at £2999.
    So I have escaped to where I should have been in the first place with no financial loss and no agro.
    10/10 to J Lewis. (Assuming the new one turns up tomorrow!)

Will repost when I have lived with the viera for a while.

6. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Plus it buzzes quite loud from the rear which reflects off the wall.
    To be fair, JL offered an replacement FOC but the PQ killed it for me.

7. foxyuk13

foxyuk13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i managed to get john lewis to match a £1499 price on this unit and i get it tommorow.........
    it seems that whatever plasma you get there will always be pros and cons... id rather spend money on something i can afford than not afford otherwise we would all be buying pioneer plasmas as they are the best on the market....

at £1499 i feel i have a bargain and i have a 5 year warranty and if there is any issues im sure jl will not pee me about like other retailers internet or shop based

8. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Fair comment foxyuk.
    As you say, each to their own. Personally I can't sit and look at a crap picture.
    with experience, even at £1499 I wouldn't bother. You can buy a very nice CRT for less than that and the PQ will blow the Samsung away.

9. foxyuk13

foxyuk13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    why is it when u look at reviews on it several people have no qualms about the picture...........
    is it a case of that each plasma made individually is a hit or miss?????

did u just say to jl that u werent happy full stop???
    i assume u have 14 days

10. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, I would be interested to hear other user opinions.Hopefully we'll get some later.
    It could be just me or that particular set but I really don't think so. And I don't think I've read a review where anyone actually praises the picture. One or two do run it down though.

As for JL. They were absolutely helpful. I firstly complained about the buzz after 3 days. They said that as it was so soon they would send a new set, not an engineer.
    A couple of days later I asked to get rid of it due to poor PQ and they were perfect. I think they give 28 days no quibble but to be sure you could always lodge a complaint early on then retract it if you are happy.
    Let me know how it goes.

11. MrPudding

MrPudding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hhhm, ive had my V4 for over a couple of weeks and i cant say i have had such problems. As for a buzzing noise from it, err nope nothing.

Picture is fine running from Sky and DVD's in general are very good.

My games from X-Box and PS2 look great. Ive honestly had no problems (touch wood)

12. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, 2 days later.The Panny turned up on time and the Samsung has gone. Good old JL.
    Straight from the box and I can't believe the PQ! Its rich, lifelike and a pleasure to look at. All sky channels are spot on. People don't look like zombies and the backgrounds don't break up all the time.(even on sky football)
    I spent hours, without success, trying to get the Samsung to give a passable picture and this is spot on straight away!

Sorry to say it but that Samsung is poo! Don't waste your money. If it's top of your budget, get a good CRT if PQ means anything to you.If you can spend a little more get a Pany.

13. foxyuk13

foxyuk13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    my samsung is perfect through tv aerial, sky...... clear no buzzing

14. BIGDAZ

BIGDAZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    foxyuk could you please let me know which JL you bought it from. I want to buy this screen from them and it would be a usefull bargaining tool if they decline to price match. Also have you noticed any lip-sink issues with it?

15. foxyuk13

foxyuk13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    no problems ,,, i bought it from john lewis in glasgow.... so far this week they have sold 5 to my mates at that price

16. Skier

Skier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Foxyuk can u tell me who you got JL to price match with as Im no where near Glasgow :) Thanks

17. foxyuk13

foxyuk13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  18. mandrus

mandrus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just checked, and it's 1599.99......... anybody seen it cheaper elsewhere?

19. trebor21

trebor21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Empire direct have it For £1547 although out of stock at mo!
    Iam due to recieve mine tmw so can give you a opinion about the quality of it once it arrives!

20. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got mine on Friday! I'm loving it so far - DVDs through component look totally stunning. You need to do a bit of tweaking with the brightness and contrast because the default settings are very dark with a component cable. Right now the only other signals I've tried are RF television (my analogue telewest service stopped working so it's all I have right now!) and composite & scart games consoles. Needless to say, the poor quality of these cables really shows up on the plasma. It was hardly noticable on my old CRT but I just ordered a bunch of component cables for my consoles, and I'm getting Sky Digital on monday :) I just cant take looking at a bad quality picture on such a gorgeous TV!

Here is a pic of it mounted on my wall:

Attached Files:

21. tangy

tangy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys firstly peabowhat a great set up you have got there buddy , anyway i am very much looking forward to recieving mine on thursday i was wondering if you guys could be cool enough to reply here with some settings or how you have got your settings all done i.e. contrast , brightness and colour etc as it will be nice to do some comparisons.

thx guys and peace to you all

22. Vern

Vern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    We have just taken delivery of one from Comet.

Picture quality is disappointing. Flesh tones are displaying visible artefacts, blockiness almost like watching an early video CD or FMV graphics on a computer. I have seen this described on other forums as a "clayiness" too. Certainly not the crystal sharp image we were expecting. It may be a cheap end plasma but at £1699 I expect it to be reasonable. We just got rid of a Toshiba 42" rear projection which aside from a slight convergence problem had 200% better picture.

It is more noticeable on pictures from Sky through the scart from digibox but still evident on the component lead from DVD player. Both leads AOK with the projection too.

Any advice - have we bought a lemon. We took a closer look at the display model in Comet again this afternoon and the same effect was noticeable there (though not when we originally bought) so it is likely to be classed as a design shortcoming rather tha a fault.

23. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Vern,
    Take a look at my earlier posts on this thread.Loads of other peeps have had the same experience.
    Send it back as soon as poss.
    Get a Panny, you wont' regret it .
    (Or a Pioneer, but I haven't seen one , good reviews though.)
    :)

24. Vern

Vern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just been down to Comet. As half expected response to complaint about poor picture quality was that did not justify a refund or exchange for a different product. Caveat Emptor etc. They have insisted an engineer looks at the set first to see if there is an actual fault (arranged for Fri) before deciding what to do next though the Manager virtually admitted this is a known issue on Samsungs (why keep selling them).

If they won't do anything after that then it will be Trading Standards time. A TV set that does not display facial images correctly is not fit for the purpose it is sold under the Sale of Goods Act.

Moral of story. Well probably if you're going to buy expensive AV equipment get it somewhere with a no quibbles return policy, even once unpacked. And go to a decent AV stockist with a proper demo room where you can watch the picture for 10 mins not a retail park electrical store.

25. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hate to say it but it broke on me twice and I have since gotten a refund and a panasonic PWD6. I didn't have too much of a problem with the PQ on the Samsung like so many others seem to, but I will say that the Panasonic looks much better!