1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung PS42V4SX + Stand

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bluedog, Jul 13, 2004.

1. bluedog

bluedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody got any views on this, on Pricerunner for about £1800. First glance to a novice like me looks like it's a 'nice telly for the brass'. Looks pretty neat and tidy as well.

Can't find any reviews or anything on the Samsung site (don't you hate that when they launch a product).

Comes with a stand, is that likely to mean it won't be wall mountable? Resolution is higher than most for the price but would I notice?

Features:
    107cmV (42") Plasma Widescreen Television
    Built in Tuner
    Two-Tuner Picture-in-Picture
    16:9 Screen Aspect Ratio
    2 x 15 Watts Audio Output
    160 degree x 160 degree Viewing Angle
    Resolution: 1024(H) x 1024 (V)
    3000:1 Contrast Ratio
    1000cd/m2 Brightness
    2100-Page Text Memory
    NICAM
    Colour system Auto/PAL/SECAM
    Plug and Play
    OSD
    Auto Pixel Shift
    4H Digital Comb Filter
    16.77 Million Colours
    2 x SCART Connections
    1 x Video IN
    1 x S-Video IN
    Digital RGB and Analogue RGB IN
    Remote control
    Table Top Stand included

2. LIMMOZINNO

LIMMOZINNO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I put a post up a few weeks ago asking about about this plasma, but the resident experts here don't seem to want to know!!! The only models they seem to care about are the Pioneers, Pannys and Hitachis.

Anyway, FYI nobody seems to have this new plasma yet, nor did any retailers offer their opinions.

Anyway, here is my thread

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...orums/showthread.php?t=135337&goto=nextnewest

Hopefully, there might be some opinions this time around :)

3. bluedog

bluedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if not we'll just chat between ourselves until somebody comes up with some info!

Looks pretty nice though, resolution on the Swedish site is different to UK spec, misprint maybe?

4. YahooSerious

YahooSerious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I work for a Euronics store in Norway, and our chain carries a derivative of this plasma. It has DVI in, and is wall mountable.

It is a very nice screen I think, for the price not much can touch it. I have not however been able to test it thourougly, as we dont have it in display at my store, but it is a VAST improvement over Samsungs earlier offerings (3rd generation sets).

I personally have a Panasonic Viera TH-42pa30(love it btw), but I considered this Samsung screen before I got a good price on the Panny. The quality of Samsung products are generally very high, we sell a lot of their LCD screens in the lower price segment.

Be wary though, if you are interested in a Samsung plasma, because they tend to be a bit loud in the buzzing area. They might have fixed this with 4th generation, but the 3rd generation sets were a pain in that area.

-Yahoo

5. LIMMOZINNO

LIMMOZINNO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard that was the main issue with the previous Samsung plasmas - even though they were fanless, they created a fair amount of buzzing noise, especially during bright scenes on the screen.

If someone could confirm that they have fixed this with the new model, it would lead me closer down the path to buying one of these babies! Maybe I should go down to Tottenham Court Road and see if I can check it out myself....

6. YahooSerious

YahooSerious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As these things are very subjective, I reckon you should listen to it yourself.

I had a chat with one of the stores in Norway that had it on display, and he said it has a slight buzz, but that its less than for example fluorescent lighting.

Either way, hope you find one. If you dont, give me a holler, I'll see if I can check it out some more.

-Yahoo

7. spongbob

spongbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like a very nice set and great spec for the price. Shame no one actually ownes one.

I thinking of getting myself one of these babies. 3000:1, 1000cd/m2 and Dual Tuner certainly is top notch :smashin:

Though I can't find a UK retailer that has a shop near me I can walk into and have a look at one, so I might just have to take a risk.

Also thinking about the Panasonic TH-42PW6B, am I right in thinking I can buy one of these, slap in a scart module and then I can plug in SKY and DVD and I'm away?

8. bluedog

bluedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've sent an email to Samsung for a full spec because the retailers seem to have different info (eg resolution, scart sockets etc) and the images are sometimes different (eg. PRC and EmpireDirect).

It just looks a bit too good to be true at the price, but I've only just started looking.

Watch this space !

9. bluedog

bluedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yahoo forgot to say thanks for the answer about the wall mount and the general Samsung info

10. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I saw one of these in a local shop this morning
    resolution 852 x 480
    but was far brighter and colourful than the Panasonics either side
    guy in the shop clearly knew nothing about plasma Tvs.
    (why are salesman in shops so ignorent about their products)

SCARTs plugged straight in the back so you won't be mounting it flat
    against a wall....about 5cm clearance needed. (2 scart sockets)

great price tho.

the correct picture is here
    http://www.electricaldiscountuk.co....11&PHPSESSID=e2fd50ef77bb280d714813ad7ecf2d3e
    oval silver stand

11. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Great email from Samsung arrived this morning as I emailed em with a few questions on this model plasma screen..........

"Dear Sir,
    Thank you for your e-mail regarding Samsung TVs.
    I can advise that Samsung try to update its web site as often as possible but unfortunately there is no information on this model at the moment."

So they have no information on their latest product.....what sort of muppets are they then??

12. YahooSerious

YahooSerious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have talked to Samsung about their webpages, and their response was that they are getting a major revamp, and until that is complete, they are prohibited to update info on the old design.

Lots of mistakes on the current web, and its missing most of the new products. Swedens samsung site just managed to sneak it in though(with some grave mistakes, like no DVI)

-Yahoo

13. bluedog

bluedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got an email from Samsung and they said the spec and picture that Empire direct are showing is correct for that model. They have no brochures at the moment but will send one when they get some.

I went to Empire but they only have the old model, which still looked pretty good by the way, and they expect some stock within 10 days,. Best of all I said I can get it for about £1700 on the net, "I can match that" he says

14. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At last somebody else wanting one.

I picked mine up on friday and looks great. Good outputs etc. just curious as to why it is relatively cheap!