Samsung ps42v4sx problems?

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Woolybully, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Woolybully

Woolybully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi
    I've had this plasma for about 3 days now and I'm still not sure about it.
    The model on display in the store was the D4 and that is what I thought I had bought,the supplier sent the V4,the store informed me that they had been sent the D4 by mistake but Samsung could not supply this T.V because it was exclusive to Dixons/Comet,However having read previous threads on this T.V on here I know that they are virtually the same Plasma...so I accepted the set BUT on the understanding that I could return it if not completely satisfied with it.....so much for the back story.

Here are my thoughts on the T.V

Contrast range = v.good
    Brightness = v.good (deep blacks)
    Sharpness = good range
    Colour = v.good (strong solid colours)
    Sound = good

So far so good,now on to the picture quality.Fed an RGB signal via SKY + the PQ goes from not too bad to :censored: awfull! the main problem by far is the terrible banding? effect.I beleive this is the correct word to describe the effect when you get shades of light or colour that instead of gradually changing shades (like in real life) you get distinct lines of shade/colour,almost like it's been painted on!.Now not being an expert on plasma telly's I don't know if this is a common problem with the technology,a problem with Samsung plasma's or just a fault with mine?which leads me to my question;
    Is it possible to get rid of the banding effect either by changing leads (I'm gonna try component leads at the weekend) or some other way?

I feel that if this problem could be cured the picture would be great (it is better on dvd) I don't think sky is entirely to blame although PQ on some channels are bad.
    So can I fix it or does it go back? Ideas?

2. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Woolybully,
    sorry to say this , but you have a problem. please do a search on this forum for this model Samsung.
    I had the same experience as you about a month ago (as I say, search for my previous posts)
    I tried everything I could, over 2 weeks, to solve the exact problems you are describing. I bought better cables, an rgb to component convertor etc etc, to no avail.
    I sent it back, got a pany viera and didn't need to make an adjustment..the picture is spot on.

sorry, but the Samsung is beyond help.it is poo. :suicide:

3. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can solve this problem by turning off DNIe. All it does is make the edges of everything overly crisp whist reducing the overall detail when it comes to colour shading - this causes the 'banding' people are describing.

DNIe is good for text and sometimes on cartoons (although it often surrounds the black lines with white borders) but it's pretty useless with anything else.

4. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Peabo,
    sorry but I can't agree. The PQ is very poor without DNIe. With DNIe it is unwatchable.

5. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't say it's very poor. All my devices go through component cables so the quality always seems very good, especially DVDs. With DNIe, you loose a lot of colour definition, it looks much smoother and richer with it off. All it seemed to do was make text less blurred.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    All the Samsungs I have seen suffer badly from this. Panasonics are not 100% free of it, but several orders of magnitude better. You might see a quick flash of it in a sunset, but that's about it. You have to concentrate. This is why Samsungs, LG, and all the other 'clone' Korean panels get such a slating here, we don't just hate them for no reason. The advice you have read is all well meant and much of it highly informed. There are 4 or 5 dealers, or ex dealer in one case, and some users who could teach almost all dealers a thing or two, and a huge number of users who can now teach Currys more than they'd want to know! We are not just a bunch of egocentric bigots who don't know anything about non panasonic plasma, we like to see happy feedback, that's all.

7. Woolybully

Woolybully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Peabo,
    Thanks for your advise,I turned DNIe off and your right,the picture does seem better if a little softer.The banding effect is less apparent and that is what I wanted.
    After switching DNIe off I adjusted some picture settings,contrast/brightness and upped the sharpness a bit and it all seems a lot better now. DVD's also look better,I watched a few scenes from "Star Wars Attack of the Clones" and they looked great,I even switched on the "Film" setting and still it looked good (although what this setting actually does I'm not sure) So all in all I would agree,the picture is better without DNIe
    so Cheers mate!

8. bluefish

bluefish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick question for MAW re Samsung plasma:

I have a very early model (PS 42P2ST) and agree that the picture was not great, but I hooked it up to an iScan Ultra and find the picture is absolutely top notch. And In my unknowledgable opinion as good as I have seen around.(although I am experience a buzzing noise when using the iScan)

The reason I am posting this is that my friend is currently looking around for a plasma, and while what ever model he gets I would advise him to get the iScan, why should he rule out a Samsung?

besides the plasma purchase I have little experience of Samsung, so no affiliation with them, just looking advise for my next purchase and my friends.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    He shouldn't rule out a samsung if that's as far as his budget stretches, but personally I think better results will be obtained with a PW6 than with a Samsung and an iscan, and probably for less money. He can go for the iscan later and be even better, if that's how he wanted to play it. The buzzing on VGA is a bit of a puzzle, but the better picture is not. Panasonic have the ability to display mor colours via the DVI board, and whilst I have not checked the Samsung spec, (I have a life) I'd speculate that it is demonstrating exactly this. There is less internal processing going on, and deinterlacing has been 'exported' to a much higher quality device. It probably makes more difference to a Samsung than a Panasonic. After all, Fujitsu's new 42" panel uses Samsung glass, and seems pretty good, maybe a large part of the problem is cost cutting in the electronics.

10. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May I ask what an iScan Ultra is? :]

11. bluefish

bluefish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW thanks for the informed view! I will probably go for a PW6 for my next purchase, my friend is a little bit cost sensitive so I dont know what he will eventually go for!

Paebo all I know is that the iScan is a video processor, that significantly improves the picture quality! And it costs about £600 (in or around), the people who know what they are talking about will be able to tell you alot more.