1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Ps42v4sx Hdcp?

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Damian1978, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Hi,

Is the SAMSUNG PS42V4SX HDTV compatible? i.e. Is the DVI input HDCP compliant?

Thanks

2. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It ought to be. It doesn't work with computers so I assume it must be for HDTV.

3. 2manyg

2manyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why the Samsung does not connect to computers...

The problem with the Samsung plasma in this thread is that is does not send any EDID info to the Computer, therefore the computer does no know there is a display connected. The EDID contains info such as the screens compatible resolutions and refresh rates etc.

The way to get round this is to buy a DVI detective by gefen. This is available direct from gefen in the states at http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1378 , or in the UK at http://www.gotsc.com/details.tpl?car...=subcategories

Here is how it works. You plug the DVI detective in between your screen and a PC DVI display (I used my friends Apple 20" monitor) the DVI detective reads the EDID info from the display and stores it. You then unplug your PC DVI screen and plug in the Samsung plasma- hey presto- it works! And the EDID is stored on the DVI detective even after unplugging the power! The quality of this plasma when connected is actually very good indeed. I am running a Mac Mini and using it as a DVD player and for some games. The DVI detective is a small price to pay to get your PC connected to this screen properly! (I was previously connecting via RGB composite- it looked pants!)

4. AlanG

AlanG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise this is an old problem, but it's new to me. I tried the solution above with no 'hey presto' moment. The Samsung DVI input is greyed out in the menu. Even tried using a DVI to VGA adapter but the Samsung didn't recognise it as a PC input either. Have I wasted my money on this DVI Detective?