1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung ps42s5hx vs Hitachi 42PD7200 vs Pioneer 43FDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kingsize, Aug 10, 2005.

1. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi.

I can get each of these in Belfast for around 2k.

Will be running sky+ feed (and eventually sky hd) for the football and movies.

I am really confused as to which I should go for - any help would be appreciated...

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Pioneer would get my vote.

3. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Would you mind awfully if I asked you why the Pio?

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Well I had one and although I didn't like it much with Sky, it was very good with dvd and hi-def stuff, where as the Samsung I think is awful (a mate bought one to replace his PW5 and we could not get it looking right so he swapped it for a PV500) and the 7200 is no better.
    I spent a couple of hours with one the other day and really didn't get on with it.

If you are paying the same for all of them then I personally would go with the Pioneer, with HD on the way I think it will shine.

edit: There are loads of threads discussing these screen, worth spending a few hours having a good read through. But at the end of the day you need to see them all and have a play with the settings

5. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hi Kingsize

Im actually in the very same boat as you as I am down to 2 of these 2 model at the moment and the reason that I ruled out the Pioneer was that there is no PC input available, so you wouldn't be able to hook up pc and with tv/pc coming more and more integrated, I really want this connectability on my new plasma.

I am stuck between the Samsung and the Hitachi at the moment - but I have to wait for the Hitachi as it is out of stock in Richersounds in belfast and not due till 17th August (i think)

I was also wondering whether it is worth paying the extra for the hitachi over the samsung even though they are both HD ready, the hitachi has all the great reviews but none so far for the samsung.

Any chance you could let me know where you were thinking of buying the plasma's in Belfast as ideally I would prefer to test before I buy and am looking to purchase in Belfast myself

Thanks

6. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why nbot go for the XDE?
    It has PC input on the tuner box and Freeview it seems to be selling for around £2,300 or so now

7. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Id love to go for the XDE but it works out at 3,300 euros - which is above what I am willing to pay for a plasma as I already have a projector and this plasma is just a luxury item for tv watching and web surfing from the comfort of my sofa - my projector is for films.

I really do rate the XDE and in my opinion is the best their is - looks wise it beats the pants off everyone.

8. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Max I have been round the houses in belfast.

Richer has the FDE on display - looks good but it is showing Monsters Inc, and whilst that looks fab, I dont think its the best to test - they said it was being displayed via hdmi.

The guy at Richer advised that he had the Pio at home and that it was perfect on sky+ feed through a good scart, esp. with the football - although other posts here suggest problems - the only diff between the fde and xde seems to be the media box capabilities, although again posts here suggest otherwise..

RS said they could get me the Hitachi if I wanted it, but again they suggested the Pio was better...

I saw the Samsung in CS Suppliers, just round the corner - it was showing hd demo feed, orchestras, racing etc - it did look really good @1999.99, and would take up less room than the pio - only one rgb scart tho, and i had hoped to avoid using a switcher - what puts me off is the lack of reviews of this set - caveat emptor etc

Also generally in the past, Samsungs seem to have poorer reviews

This choosing is bloody misery, dont want to buy a 2k set and then suffer buyers remorse on seeing reviews etc

Also went to LRG in Belfast - Panny suppliers, the 42pv50 looked fantastic but no hd, they could get me the 37pv500 for 2.6 - over the odds

If you need directions for any of these places just ask

9. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks Kingsize - I have been in contact with Richersounds and they have told me that they will not receive the Hitachi for another couple of weeks after promising the 10th Aug initially. But they tried to sell me the Pioneer aswell, and I would love to have a Pioneer in my house as I think it is the best looking plasma out there, but its just really the lack of PC connection that puts me off

....i though there must have been someone on these boards that knows a way of getting them to talk to each other in some way?, but alas, nothing so far.......anyone??

I was actually trying to get the hitachi in Currys in the north - as their online price was great, but they wouldn't ship it to my address in the Republic and will NOT? let me collect it in a store in Belfast/Newry??????

Have you seen it in action in Currys and do you know how much it was for?

Thanks

10. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Max, just been to Curry's.

Listended to the sales assistant assure a family that an SD Samsung was HD Ready and was horrified..needless to say steered them away from Curry's once he had left - either deceitful or an idiot

Anyway, just watched an Hitachi 42PD7200 in the shop.

The feed was the standard Curry's ad, movie trailers etc on multiple sets, and couldnt find buttons to look even at analogue terrestrial.

Its a nice tv - the base looks a bit plasticy, but the main screen area looks good - detach the speakers definitley.

Hard to tell on PQ no doubt it was maxed up, but certainly no worse than the other sets.

£2499.99 - they are having a laugh....

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    But that is the whole point!! straight out the box there is very little between any of them, it is what they look like when set up that matters! That is when you start to say...............

"OH MY GOD! That one looks so much better" :D

12. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    That was my point....

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    I keep forgetting you are in Belfast, is there not an independant that does a range of plasmas either locally or within a few hours so you can really see which one you like mate?

14. sima

sima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got the delivery of Hitachi 42HD7200 from currys, got a substantial discount, TV+glass stand £2100, no problems in setup, excellent machine

15. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks for the feedback and info Kingsize!

Sima, I presume this is from a curry's in the UK? for that price with the stand?

16. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Well Giz,

Went to an independent dealer (who did mainly Pannys), he was informative and a bit scary...but claimed that in two years of owning a Panny screen had never seen burn in or after image and stated that sb would only be a problem if you left a PS2 on all night on the one screen ( this did not seem to accord with what I have read here ) - he was good but a bit too zealous. And he quoted me 2,600 for a 37pv500...

The other dealer had a better range of Plasma/ LCD - all running hd, and yes a comparison was easier, but it was still hard to differentiate (they all hide the remotes, and if one is requested its generally 'in the box away in the back').

Actually, Curry's in Ballymena had a no. of sets on display, and all remotes accesible, and you could fidgit about, but all running the crappy feed..

Richer Sounds were good, but when I asked about the Hitachi 42pd7200, said they could getit @ 2k, but steered me towards a Pio 435fde (which did look nice) and again were rather over zealous about it, in effect claiming perfection for the money, 2.1k, despite what i have read on these forums.

And as for pricematch..forget about it..

Just wary of a web purchase - and many of the biggies dont deliver to NI..

All I want is a good screen that I wont regret one year or even six months down the line - and I know the nature of this quest is that there is always something better on the way - I would just like something in 42" that matches the performance of my 6 year old 32" Sony CRT - perhaps too much to expect..

In any case, these forums are fantastic for info and opinion, but awful for post purchase remorse, and it is hard not to suspect a certain amount of post purchase justification from posters - its something we all do...

Jesus, just wish someone would make the decision for me...

17. sima

sima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Max, it is from currys in Midlands, the store price was around
    £2500, I just showed the sales guy what the price was on their online service and he agreed to match that plus give me 10% discount of the difference, and got the stand for less than £150 which normally sell in comet for double that price.

18. The Barndog

The Barndog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm also from N.Ireland and was tempted by the HD Samsung as I saw that they were going for around £1600 in the uk, which fits my budget (just). But its the same old story, over here you can't seem to get them for less than 2 grand (which isn't too far off the Panasonic HD prices).

19. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Exactly, and then when you are thinking of a samsung at 2k you start to think 'only 500 more for a 42pv500....'

20. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OR Only £600 more for a 435XDE!

21. The Barndog

The Barndog
    Standard Member

Products Owned: