Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Samsung PS42S5H ? YES OR NO ?

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by RobShell, Sep 13, 2005.

1. RobShell

RobShell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a lot of searching around for a plasma on my budget of £1500 I settled for the Samsung PS42S5H and was going to order one tomorrow BUT after reading some peoples reviews on here i'm now not so sure :(

Is there anyone out there that is happy with there Samsung PS42S5H :confused:

Anyone :(

I intend to use it to watch sky mostly will i be disappointed ?

2. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    for a budget of 1500 which is HD then yes it would have to be the samsung, but I just dont like the PQ, I felt it would be a waste of £1500 and just waited an extra month to get something much better

3. Ponty

Ponty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree, was really hoping this would the bargain it first appeared....when I ordered just last week there was virtually no bad comments on the forum....at first it seemed ok, then as I started to watch more and more I started to dislike more and more.

I was only comparing it to a cheap Goodmans 28" TV and the picture quality was significantly less crisp (which could just be coz its bigger), together with poor handling of movement, artificial looking dark scenes and just never being able to pin down a happy set of settings

Many people on here are saying it gets better with time, including Marrez who complained about the things I have, but who is now saying that things are getting better?

Having the chance to send it back for only the delivery cost is too much temptation to see if this set really does settle down and get better with age, whilst I wait to get my hands on a Panny or Pio.

I'd hang fire another couple of weeks before making that decision...if I was you.

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I put my comments about the screen saying it was no where near as good as a 4 year old panasonic pw5 (SD resolution) panel and got slated for it.

However I have to say that about half a dozen owners of the samsung have sent me messages saying that everything I said that was bad about it is exactly what it is they don't like and they all wished they had gone for something else.
    Only a couple have said it on the forum though which is a real shame. :(
    If you feel it is not a very good set then why not say so and stop others making the same expensive mistake? I really don't get that?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I'd also check some of the other threads' comments re what happens if you are not happy. Some folks have found themselves less than pleased with after sales from Samsung.

6. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    hi

Also consider the Hitachi 5200 H from sound and vision Farnworth.

Can be picked up for approx £1400.00 - delivered and is hd ready - and looks a lot better than the 6600 that Currys had for sale.

Admittedly it doesnt have as many scarts as the 6600 but overall I am glad that Currys let me down with the 6600 after having seen one in store I much prefer the 5200 H - plus it has a swivel stand!

Dave, Oldham.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    5200H is not drawback free, it's not fully X-Box HD compatible, it lacks 50Hz support for component video. Nonetheless, I'd be confident of it being a better buy than the Samsung, though not a personal favourite of mine. At the money, it's very hard to beat.

8. Bill_Abz

Bill_Abz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know if I just got an Ok screen, but I am happy with mine. I have seen some of the solarisation on some sky feeds, but on DVD it seems to be fine. Admittedly I have spend a lot of time playing around with the settings, but have had no indication of "green" faces, and even the football on ITV last night surprised me as there was no motion blur. Certainly there is not enough wrong with the picture to warrant me returning it, but as it's my first plasma, I don't have a reference point. I bought it mainly for watching DVD's, which through component is very good. Although I could make some comments about the Samsung DVD850 I bought! (panning and movement on some DVD's is bad, and I connected my old Sony DVD player back up on RGB and the problems were'nt there, so its the DVD player).

All in all I think the screen is fine, and for the money, it does what I want it to do.

For me the issues are with getting a setting that is an acceptable compromise for all Sky channels, because some are really "grainy" and blurry, but I used to get that on my old TV, so it clould be my Sky box or my Dish.

Once again, to reiterate, Sky can have issues on this set, I'm happy with DVD quality (on a good player), and Xbox on RGB is brilliant. I have connected my PC to the VGA input and tried some of the WMV-HD demos and there is no evidence of banding or solarisation, also no motion blur at all.

Maybe I just got a good one, but I certainly don't think, as an amateur, that it warrants some of the comments it's getting here. It has it's problems sure, but look at some of the other threads on here relating to other sets and put it into context.

Thats my tuppence worth.

Bill.

9. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135

Exactly, I just find it absolutely amazing that the Panny PV500 on here doesn't get ripped to pieces because it seems to be having alot of problems with alot of users, but still it is being recommended to newbies as one of the best for their money??? :nono:

10. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Bill, have you changed any settings in the service menu? i havent touched that yet. I really want to like this set :confused:

11. contraste

contraste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Have owned a Samsung PS42S5HX for a week and most of that time was spent endlessly adjusting contrast/brightness/colour etc. etc. and trying to convince myself that the picture was OK/going to get better.
    Absolutely dreadful picture with severe solarization on Sky channels, especially when there were shadows in the program material and even from DVD's via the HDMI port, green faces leered out at me!
    Contacted retailer today re. refund and was told to ring Samsung for a log number first. Samsung seemed unconcerned with my problems and surprisingly did not even try to suggest repairs or inspection.
    So it is being picked up tomorrow and (hopefully) a refund is not far off. For now back to my Loewe Xelos and then... what about the new Pioneer PDP 436XDE? Any thoughts?

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Pioneer will at least give a damn about repairing broken stuff, nor is there so much of it. Look at the number of XDE owners against the number of reported problems. Then have a guess at the Samsung list. Theirs does not make attractive reading.

13. Ponty

Ponty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been trying really hard to see if I can make a difference to the settings before this goes back...I've just spent a couple of hours different scart leads etc and whilst I can get 'light' scenes looking ok, including footy/cricket I can still see blurring and colour banding on faces etc.

I'm sitting about 12ft from screen so my position could be deemed optimal

I have been using sky+ recordings of LOST, GUINESS RUGBY SAT and VAN HELSING as my test material, and with lost its really bad, stubble and hairy chests just merge into a mess, Rugby is probably the best, although Super league Friday night was better and Van helsing is pretty good...but...it has many dark scenes and its here that I get terrible green dot crawl swimming around all the dark shadows and and faces etc, looks reasonable from 12ft away, but you know its there...close up...bloody terrible

More worryingly, using Bourne Identity as a test DVD, the opening scenes where he is dragged from the water and taken below deck are awful, there's lots of noise (could be a bad dvd transfer, but looks ok on CRT) and masses of green dot crawl.

Obviously, I'm looking to replace this set, but am concerned that lots of what I see on this set is also being discussed on the PV500 pages, especially with LOST, which appears to be causing havoc on all sets.

If it was just SKY then maybe I would hang on to it, but when DVD is no better (would have liked to have tried HDMI but haven't got around to getting a new DVD player yet - waiting for HDD recorder with HDMI) then I think I have to look elsewhere.

Somebody please post a glowing report on 436XDE soon....

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Ponty, all of this is classified as 'difficult' material, the PV500 owners have trouble with 'The Bourne Identity' for instance, and lost too. If you want to make the most of this kind of stuff, the XDE is unlikely to thrill you, though better than the Samsung. You will have to get serious with your kit, and it will cost you more than £1500 I'm afraid. Though for the price of a XDE you could get an MXE1, a scaler and ISF calibration. If you are not happy with that lot, you'd be too picky for me even!

15. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My new JVC set (PD42DX6 hi-res) looks very good to my eyes in football and Lost. No green faces, banding or dot-crawl so far on good sources, of course poor sources show colour banding. It may be worth a look.. Note though that I am the only person on the forums that seems to have one of these sets, and it's going back because the integrated freeview doesn't work. This is a shame because the picture is very good on Sky and analogue : I don't even use the freeview ! Hopefully the replacement (same model) will not have this fault.

Martin

16. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    What appears to be the problem with Bourne Identity and the Pv500?? Cant seem to see it discussed anywhere?? and Lost????

17. Ponty

Ponty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a look at the Sticky PV500 thread, and read through the problem/picture settings there is lots of talk of colour banding etc and LOST is mentioned many times as not looking very good....even on the PV500.

I think MAW is saying that the Bourne Identity opening scene is tough for any plasma.

What worries me is his comments that all the material I was using were 'difficult' materials....to me they are my regular viewing and has somewhat disheartned me about Plasma technology...

MAW - If you don't mind, I'm going to PM you with lots of questions on a panel rather than TV approach and understand if its what I want? I'm also going to jump over to the dark side, and see whats on offer on the LCD forum....

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Same approach will be needed with LCD panels too. The Sharp 37 is on special currently too! New model on the way I guess. FYI it's at least partly HD ready.