1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung PS42S5H so bad its got to go back. Help with alternative?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by markrb, Oct 8, 2005.

1. markrb

markrb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Purchased a Samsung PS42S5H a few weeks ago but the picture is so bad I called support who said it sounds faulty. Looking at other posts on this forum it might just be normal?

It looks like a highly compress jpg image created on a PC with fuzz around the edges of people and colour banding everywhere. I have tried all the settings I have found, also using good quality rgb scart leads with not much improvement.

Im am now considering dumping HD altogether and looking at SD with the Panasonic TH42PE50 due to good reviews.

Any owners of either have any comments?

2. matrixsc

matrixsc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm looking at the moment myself for a plasma and spending as much £1500 to £2000 i think you've got get HD even if you have no need for it as yet.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    One of the worst plasmas I have seen, and exactly how you describe it. :(

The pe50 will blow you away after the Samsung, however do you need the tuner and speakers?
    Have a look in the special offers section and the deal on the PW8, £1299 with stand or wall bracket, vga/component, s-video/composite board and then offers on other input boards. You obviously have to have a tuner, either Sky, Freeview or cable and sound, but a £200 all in one unit will sound better than built in speakers from a TV.

It is a lower res but one of the best plasmas ever made and looks stunning with SD and HD, and you can add inputs if/when you need them.

4. markrb

markrb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks gizlaroc, I was glad its not just me. After a bit of watching my eyes start to accept the problems even though I can still see them. But Im still calling Monday to arrange an exchange.

Im getting a DVD all in one that will be used for all sound output.

My current supplier charges more for the pe50 than others, so its either a full refund and I go elsewhere (if I can?) or another conversation and hopefully they will price match.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Sometimes it is worth paying a little more for an easy life.

6. matrixsc

matrixsc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    So the pw8 is HD ready?? Or you have to add a board to it or something to make it HD ready?. How much does it cost to upgrade to hd if it isn't already then?

And will it work with all HD content?

Thanks.

7. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    It's not technically HD ready, more HD compatible with the HDMI/DVI input board. The res is 852 x 480 and HD needs a minimum of 720 lines of resolution I think. Basically it'll work but you won't get full resolution of the HD signal.

8. markrb

markrb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seemed to be that for today's SD pictures only the high end HD plasmas show them well. So I have decided to get a good SD plasma and in a year or so when HD is more established then upgrade.

9. thehancocks

thehancocks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too had a nightmare with a PS42S5H. I just couldn't get over the poor black detailing.

I sent the TV back and after much deliberation plumped for a PWD8 (Forum offer from AV Sales).

The difference is amazing, although the PWD8 has a lower resolution than the Samsung, its black detailing is light years ahead (both on DVD and SKY pictures). The colours are much more lifelike and as I watch mostly SD material (and due to the fact I already pay Mr Mudoch far too much money at present, will not be entertaining SKYHD in the near future), the SD content is still displayed way better than the PS42S5H.

If you already have SKY/Freeview and don't want to pay more than you did for your Samsung, I would recommend a PWD8.

If you already have an amp, then the PWD8 route will be even cheaper (no need for the optional speakers) and comes with a standard 2 year warranty to boot.

10. markrb

markrb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the Samsung PS42S5H went back and the Panny TH42PE50 came this morning. What can I say but...

WOW...What a difference. The quality on all feeds is 1000% better

Not sure if the screen flickers slightly in bright areas? maybe just needs running in?

Very impressed so far :smashin: