1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung PS42S5H Picture Quality

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bill_Abz, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Bill_Abz

Bill_Abz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I've been asked my opinion on the Samsung S5H, as there seems to be a lot of contradictory views on the picture quality. I just thought I'd add my comments here for the record, and see what other folks think.

I've only had my plasma for a week now, but as far as I can tell, the picture quality is improving noticeably all the time. The initial picture wasn't bad when I first switched it on, but there was a little harshness on the Sky seacrh banner, which was noticeable as with my old 32" Sony (CRT) on RGB there was no problem.

I have been tweaking the colour settings during the course of this week (I'll post my settings in the other Samsung PQ thread) and have bought a Samsung DVDHD850 and a fairly cheap set of component leads to replace my really old Sony RGB only DVD.

The colours are now settling in and with the rewire of the kit with a £20 scart (not the really expensive ones but better than a lot of them!) the Sky picture is softening up nicely and the Banner harshness is all but gone.

Colour/contrast/brightness settings are obviously very subjective, but I think I've found quite a good balance. Blacks seem very black, etc, but it really depends on your source. Some of the Sky channels are really poor, but I found that on my old TV anyway, so it's not an inherent problem with the Samsung.

DVD's on the 850, running at 768P on component, with (I assume) no screen scaling as the DVD is outputting 1024x768 (correct me if I'm wrong anyone!) are, to put it mildly, stunning. Again it depends on the disk, some are better than others, but thinks like the Martix etc are incredible, and the two reference disks I've used for getting my settings right are Ronin, and the Italian Job (New Version!).

The Italian job especially is incredible, with the colours on the mini's really deep and vibrant.

These are just my views, and it's my first Plasma, but if anyone is thinking of buying this screen, I'd recommend it. I saw another thread about this screen and it mentioned a buzzing noise. It was there initally (first couple of hours) but faded gradually as the screen heated up and is only noticeable if you have your ear to the back of the screen, where you can hear a slight transformer buzzing, but it's not noticeble while viewing. The Sky + hard disk is much louder!

Lets face it, I got this for £1500, and it does everything I want, and although the Pioneer and Panasonic sets are supposedly better, I have (depending on which screen you got!) got £500-£1000 more beer money than I initially planned (was going to buy the Pioneer, but house moving soon cut my budget).

So hope this helps, and if anyone wants to comment, please feel free. I'm new at this!

Bill.

2. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Nice post Bill. I should be getting my set this weekend with a bit of luck. Ill let you know how i get on. Are the anti-burn features any good? Thanks

3. Ellispa

Ellispa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Cheers Bill. Its good to read a positive review of this set, as it is one that I have been considering. Seems to tick all of my boxes, and will be a massive improvement over my current 42" Rear Projection Toshiba, and a damn site smaller.

Where did you get it from?

4. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The picture on mine does seem to be getting better, but i really don't know whether I am just 'getting used to it' :) (Not that it was bad to start with tho)

I've been playing with the picture settings constantly, and have actually decided on 2 sets of settings to use. One has the brightness down at like 30, and for some stuff can look stunning. Sometimes its too dark, and i have another set of settings that work much better. I think having a couple of modes and switching between them is better than trying to find one set of settings that works for everything.

After 3 weeks, I'm still very happy with it. The only downside is i'm used to the size now :D

5. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I have been thinking of a similar combination.

If you don't mind,

1. Bill, why didn't you connect them using HDMI rather than component?

2. Looking in a store (this lunchtime co-incidently) the samsung looked a bit dull next to the panasonics. But I didn't have time to ask questions, or explore the settings. Are you happy with the brightness?

6. Bill_Abz

Bill_Abz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Loz,

I'm connected with component because I wasn't willing to pay £90 from Comet for an HDMI Lead! I'm going to wall mount the screen, so will get suitable leads (scart, HDMI and component) at the correct lengths when I do this, and order them online!

As for the brightness, yes I'm happy with it, in fact have had to turn it down quite a bit, as it kind of screams at you with the default settings, same with the colours. As Craig said earlier, I have a couple of modes I have programmed that I can switch between. But all in all I think the picture is fantastic.

As a reply to earlier questions, I got it from Cranford and Moore for £1500, and unlike some earlier threads, I had to open all the manuals and put the battery in the remote myself, so It wasn't an ex display model, and all the packaging was fine. So very happy with them. Incidentally, ordered it last monday at 2pm, and it was delivered 4pm on Tuesday. So I can't complain.

Hope this helps.

Bill

7. yaris123

yaris123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i was just wondering did you not get a hdmi lead with the hd 850. Mine had one in and it had hdmi lead included on the box

8. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    thanks bill. Sounds good.

Did you consider an extended warranty?

9. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Went into Comet this evening, where they had changed their HD Demo loop across from a row of LCDs to a row of Plasmas. This included the Samsung, Panny P500, Pioneer, Hitachi (and I am sure there was a 5th I cant remember now...)

Anyway the samsung looked the equal of the others - actually they all looked pretty similar - until I looked up close and the samsung had like a red grain in the picture, visible on white backgrounds. I wondered if it was some sort of burn in, as it seemed to be fairly static.

10. Ponty

Ponty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too saw a P5H in Curry's this evening, running nothing more than an analogue signal (HTV = Welsh ITV) showing Welsh news.

I have to say that the picture was far better than I expected and better than many previous viewings at major outlets. If this is as bad as it gets, I don't see the need for anything better.

Alongside was a 42PV500 running a DVD fed demo, which was significantly better than the PQ on the Samsung, but it was not a straight fight.

When I've more time (an no 21 month old child trying to pull out all the connections etc) I'll pop back over and try and get them to show same feed on both and play around with settings etc

But as I said, it wasnt bad at all on the analogue tuner

11. theguj

theguj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, this is my first post, have read a lot on this forum and would like to know if any of the uk online (cheaper) suppliers have the samsung in stock!
    Thanks Bill

12. Bill_Abz

Bill_Abz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Folks,

Thanx for all the comments and I hope some of mine have helped. If anyhting the Samsung seems to suffer when fed a poor signal, My old Sony never really showed this up too badly, but I was always a fan on the Trinitron tube anyway, so I wouldn't have commented!

But when fed with a good source, and when you get the settings you are comfy with, I can honestly say that I haven't really seen much better. I demo'ed a Pioneer 50" with Euro 1080, and whereas the resolution is obviously lower, I reckon there's not a lot in it as far as general PQ is concerned, and if you play around a little with the settings, the colours and picture depth are damn near as good. I'll probably be slated for saying that but I'm just a consumer, and I'm no expert, and also my eyesight is questionable (!), but I think it's great. The Xbox on RGB is awesome...playing Project Gotham 2 is incredible, and even the kids (2 girls!) are hooked!

Loz, as far as extended warranty is concerned, I have an Royal Bank of Scotland current account, Royalties, that gives me a 3 year extended warranty on all electrical gear when I buy on my switch card, so a bit of a result there...!

Yaris, mine had no HDMI lead in the box, just a crappy composite AV lead which went straight in the bin!

Here's the screen and setup for anyone who's interested. If I have any problems or If I find any new goodies, I'll post them in this thread. Now back to the Telly!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78824&page=147&pp=15

Cheers folks.

13. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I went back in comet again today to take a longer look at the Samsung, and to check out the red grain I saw.

It clearly was burn in or retention of some sort, as when there was a white background you could see the faint outline of the HD Ready Logo and other things on the comet demo loop.
    What was worrying was
    1. the HD ready logo isn't on screen for very long, only a few seconds. But it is repeated at frequent intervals.
    2. In sections of the demo loop where the HD Ready logo is replaced by a bright background you could visibly see the after image of the logo taking a few seconds to fade out.
    3. none of the other sets, that have all been looping the same demo had any sign of this.

14. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hey bill, any chance of some xbox pics? Particularly gotham?? as this would show up the red blurring/retention that loz is worried about. Thanks again!

15. Bill_Abz

Bill_Abz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Loz,

I haven't seen any evidence of the image retention or fade out you mention, but I haven't been looking for it. I'll have a closer look tonight, and see if there's any sign of it. I haven't really seen any real problems, but as I mentioned, I've only had it a week. I'm a bit annoyed at the quality with some of the sky channels, well actually BBC1 on Sky! But I've tried other channels and loads of DVD's now, just to see if there's any fundamental problem with the screen, but they are all fine. May be my dish needing aligned again...

As I said, as far as I can tell, the TV is great, but I guess if we all look hard enough we'll always find something that we aren't happy with. I posted this thread based on initial impressions, and I stand by my comments, as I feel the screen is great value, and styling wise is one of the better ones out there. I love the pioneer , and ideally would have bought that probably on looks alone, and I don't really like the styling of the Panasonics, so wanting HD I was left with few options. I'm trying to be as objective as possible, so I'll see if I can help out with anyone's questions, but at the end of the day, it is a great looking set at a good price.

As for the Xbox pics, I'll try and get some good 'uns and post them.

Bill.

16. derthballs

derthballs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    my sammy is coming friday, ive got the hi-def kit for it, so i can post some pics then :)

Great to hear your pleased with it, i have to say im nervous after making my decision.

Where and what cost was the dvd player? Im looking to upgrade mine, using an aging old sony davs800 at the moment.

17. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hello fellas. any more news on the samsung/xbox front?

Getting yours tomorrow eh? lucky boy, mine is coming a week on saturday from john lewis. Got a great deal (i think!)

Had a nightmare trying to softmod my xbox today :rolleyes:

18. derthballs

derthballs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    yup, i wont be able to sleep tonight with excitement :) Ill post some pics once its up and running, ive got a few high def games - even got a 1080i one :)

19. derthballs

derthballs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Wee, its arrived :)

First impressions, sky looks excellent, i really was setting myself up for it to look worse than the panasonic, but on viewing the simpsons, if anything it seemed even sharper, football will be the test though.

Xbox hi def - in a word, stunning. Ill need to find my camera cable to get some shots of it running, but playing MX unleashed in 1080i, it looks wonderful, like playing on a massive pc monitor.

When the guys turned up they said "i wouldnt be swopping the viera for this" so i was worried, but first impressions are very good, but ill report more myself when i have had a bit of a proper play, rather than just half an hour.

20. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Woo hoo! good news then :D

Sky and xbox is what i will be using it for too...

Have you got sky plugged via RGB scart and xbox through component?

Looking forward to some pics :thumbsup:

21. derthballs

derthballs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yup, sky and xbox as described, was in curry's there and picked up a HD850 for £110, so im running through hdmi for dvd now, picture looks brilliant, although the sound is a bit disapointing for some reason :( (not on the tv, but through the dvd into my amp).

22. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Watched any football yet?

Looks like i will have to get myself some Xbox component cables.

Glad you like it :thumbsup:

23. derthballs

derthballs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  24. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    they are looking pretty crisp :thumbsup:

25. derthballs

derthballs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I put on eurosport they had some footie on, and it didnt look too good - but eurosport has a really bad feed.

Waiting for sky sports before i comment, even if its not that great, i can live with it till HD comes out next year ,when you see how good HD runs in the flesh, you will be amazed, the pictures really dont do it justice, baseball especially looks fantastic, i think ive got a few more 720p games, so ill try them out later on :)

26. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Football is very dependant on the Sky bitrate/quality I'm afraid. The stuff on BBC1/Sky Sports looks good, the stuff i've seen on ITV2/Eurosport has been pretty ropey.

27. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Is that in this screen craig? or just generally?

28. derthballs

derthballs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Eurosport was definetly ropey, the players all were pixellating all over the place :)

Sky Movies/Sky 1 look superb so far.

29. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Football on Skysports is very good. I don't watch Eurosports, so can't comment on that. Its also good on the terrestrial channels.

30. derthballs

derthballs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    could someone help me with something.

In the video options, theres a thing called "viewing the DNle Demonstration".

How do you turn this on permenantly though? Cant see the benefit to showing a demonstration but not actually allowing you to set it for ever.

Driving me mad now :)

Or is it just showing the difference and the tv has it as standard?