1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung PS42S5H Image Retention or Burn in

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by loz, Aug 31, 2005.

1. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    My local comment in Farnborough has a row of HD Plasmas showing a PC-based HD Demo loop.

There is a Pioneer 435, a Hitachi, LG, Panny 500 and the Samsung.

Last week when I first saw it, there was some red noise on the samsung. After watching it for a while I realised it was a faint image of part of the demo loop - the "HD Ready" logo was visible on any bright background. And each time the HD Ready logo came round, it would take about 5 seconds to fade after it disappeared from the loop.

Tonight when I went back in, it was horrendous. Several Logos from the loop were now clearly visible - not just faintly. And the picture was awful. It will be interesting to go in again in a few days and see just how bad it is, or whether they have fixed it in some way (or removed the set)

However, AFAIK, the same demo has been playing all day every day on all these Plasma sets, and none of the others has the slightest trace of image retention (which was reassuring).

There was nothing obvious in terms of picture set up - such as over bright - that might be the cause. The sets all had a pretty similar brightness and colour adjustment.

The logos in question are not on the screen permanently, as anyone who has seen the demo loop will now. There is typically a short film clip, then a very short coment flash that includes the HD Ready and other logos. They are on the screen only for seconds, but at the same time obviously hundreds of times each day.

I quite fancied a Samsung PS42S5H having seem comments elsewhere, and the attractive price. But I don't think so now. Sorry Sammy fans.

2. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Mine arrives on saturday. Looking forward to it :clap:

3. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No image retention on mine and I've had it now for months. I think the 5H also has anti-burn technology built in. I am happy with mine.

4. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I've not seen any rentention on my set, even with long stints on the Sky music channels. I've also had a few long goes on the Xbox (PGR2) with no bad repurcussions.

However, I can sometimes seen really faint impressions of stuff when there is a totally black screen. I have to look REALLY closely, and REALLY quickly before it disappears, and the screen has to be totally black to see it. I've never seen anything over the top of another image. I think you'd have to be superman to expereience burn or fade on this set during 'normal' viewing.