Samsung PS42S5H Buzzing Sound

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Brandaan, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Brandaan

Brandaan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a 42" Samsung plasma tv ps42s5h and there is an annoying buzzing sound coming from the top right hand (as you look at the screen) corner of the unit at the back... The buzzing changes pitch as the picture's contrast changes. I have no other equipment close by and the sound stays even when I have no external signals connected to it.

Is this normal as I believe the unit should be quiet? Is there any tuning I can do?
    Thanks

2. stuart.garlinge

stuart.garlinge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i have the same model, mine is very quiet, you can't hear any buzzing unless you stick your head behind it, i'd talk to the retailer you bought it from.

3. Brandaan

Brandaan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response... this is what I suspected.

I am currently in discussions with retailer and service agent about this and am trying to gather evidence of other users that don't have this problem, because they are obviously trying to make it out that this is "normal".

Can I ask anyone who has a quiet unit of this model to maybe post to this thread with the manufacture date of your unit and any other info you may have?

This would really help me in my case!

Many thanks in advance!:thumbsup:

4. aaronwbailey

aaronwbailey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brandaan

My Samsung Ps42S5HX is making a buzzing noise that changes as the contrast changes, I sent it back 3 weeks ago to get it fixed, they replaced the PSU but it came back no change.

I don't know whether its me or not as its only audible during very quiet sound tracks on tv but once I'm tuned into it it really pees me off.

Have you had any luck with your retailer?

5. JoshuaB

JoshuaB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same model and this is definately not normal.. My understanding from speaking to others about this in the past (With a different model) its usually the PSU at fault.. although the post above suggests against this.

Its definately not right though and your consumer rights mean you should be able to get it repaired or replaced etc.

Good luck :)

6. Brandaan

Brandaan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They initially set about replacing the PSU, but as I had only had the unit for a few weeks, I insisted on a replacement, which they agreed to.
    When this replacement unit showed exactly the same faulty behaviour, I managed to get a full refund. I wouldn't settle for anything less, as Samsung have ackowledged to me that this is definitely faulty behaviour!
    Out of interest, does your unit say "made in slovakia" on the back and which date does it mention?

7. tubby74

tubby74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been through problems with my set. Without question the repairer changed the power unit and the fan, but it still is quite loud. both a high pitched noise and the fan's buzzing.
    I shall ask again for the unit to be repaired, but so far it's enough to say I won't be buying samsung again

8. jagie

jagie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know what to do with mine. The first one I had did not buzz but could not tune the tv in. This didnt matter because I watch through AV1 and sky but as the set was new I thought it better be looked at..............Bad idea............ever since then I have been getting a buzz. I am on my 4th set all of which buzz. One master care engineer told me it was normal I explained that after spending £1500 on a TV Ican sit 15foot away from the TV and still hear the buzz is not normal. I am awaiting a refund.:)