1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung PS42S5H anygood

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by pwood, Jul 5, 2005.

1. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Whilst checking out Robert Whyte I came across this model for £1795 inc stand and 5 year warranty. However Samsung Website does not have info on this model so was wondering if its SKY HD ready and also if its any good with normal SKY broadcasts.

2. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Search through the forum and you'll find a few threads related to it. Of them, this is as confusing as it is comprehensive

If nothing else, it contains a link to the Samsung brochure which it does feature in and the specifications which indicate it IS HD compatible, in the Sky HD sense, as well as generally. You will also find links to other sites which have it for £150 or so cheaper

3. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one at the weekend and am very pleased with it. I bought it for £1495, including delivery. It has the HD ready logo on the front. I am not an expert on plasmas and have no technical knowledge. But as I said, it looks very good to me. In my opinion its certainly better looking than the 500. I compared the pictures of the 500 with the SD model in Currys and I honestly couldn't say which was better. It has a lot of connections and is also easy to set up. I had it up and running within a few minutes of taking it out of the box. As far as I know, the only other people on this forum with the 5H are Welsh111 and Barney. They have both written about it on previous threads. The 5H has lots of choices regarding colours etc and I know that Welsh and Barney have both adjusted their settings. I am happy with the standard setting though - each to his own as they say. As for Sky, well thats the only thing I have used so far. As is true of Sky programmes generally, the signal varies from channel to channel, but its at least as good in my opinion as my old CRT. DVDs look great on it also.

4. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Chavvy..
    Where did you buy yours ?

cheers

5. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got it from Electrical Discount UK.

When I rang the guy said they had sold them all but two. He said that one guy had bought one, showed it to his neighbour who then also bought one, who showed it to his neighbour who also bought one. So he said they sold three to people in the same street. This could of course been salesman's patter, but I think it plausible. Anyway, I bought one and it came the next day. At £1495 it is the cheapest I have seen anywhere. It only has a one year guarantee though, so you should weight this up with other prices you see on the net.

6. shankly

shankly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get it for £1489 from PRC direct. But £1700 with a 5 year warranty sounds good, but is the warranty worth having?

7. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course, it depends on the warranty, but I would say yes. An extra £211 for the warranty seems reasonable to me and had I known about it when I bought mine i would have gone for it.

8. Miander

Miander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    you still can through domestic and general! give em a ring

9. shankly

shankly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone had any experience with Robert Whyte, if so how good are they and are their warranties worth paying for?

10. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36