Samsung PS42Q97HDX or Panasonic TH42PX70

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by edgler vess, Sep 21, 2007.

1. edgler vess

edgler vess
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have finally whittled my choice of display down to these two fine looking specimens.

I have read many reviews on both these TV's from other sources too.

But I just can't make up my mind which one to go for.

I will use one of these beauties with an Upscaling DVD Player such as a Panasonic SV53 or Samsung HD870.

Given my dilemma but more importantly taking into consideration what I intend to watch for quite a few years

What to go for?

2. Purple snakes

Purple snakes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Go for the sammy ive had 2 pannys i hate them.

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,369
    Another vote for the Sammy, I've got the PS42Q97HDX and it's fantastic. Save the £100 it costs less than the Panny and put it towards a proper HD source.

4. Plasmoo

Plasmoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    When I looked at theses two sets I was unimpressed with the lack of options in the Panny menu so went for the Sammy with no regrets at all, it's very good for the money & HD is amazing on it.

5. Cyclone

Cyclone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm still deciding between these 2, but having seen them running side by side so many times now, I still can't justify the extra price for the Panasonic....

6. MahaRaja

MahaRaja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I'm in the same boat as you mate, can't decide between these two sets, Sammy has brighter and sharper picture, not sure how it handles SD picture compared to Panny. Tough choice! Would be using with PS3.

7. RPD_UK

RPD_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Saw both these Plasma screens (right next to each other showing the same HD feed) yesterday and the Sammy Q97 was clearly superior - it was sharper, had richer colours, better blacks and much nicer design.

Its now gone to the top of my shopping list. :thumbsup:

I have to say that all the LCD's that were also on display were, in comparison, very poor indeed. And to think i was considering one.

NB: The 50" version of the Sammy is superb too (and very tempting at around £1k). Might be too big for my living room though.

8. Cyclone

Cyclone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    It can be missleading when you just view the 2 screens without adjusting the settings. I went into Currys yesterday, both 50" models running side by side. At first the Panasonic looked brighter and more vibrant, so I adjusted the Samsung to get it looking about the same.

I then noticed the whites were whiter on the Samsung, couldn't adjust the Panasonic to get it any better, maybe needs more time.

Overall after playing around with both, I would say the Samsung looked better, and the clolours matched all the other TV's running the same feed more than the Panasonic.
    So at present I think i'm still swayed towards the Samsung, but then all the reviews rate the Panasonic as better, why does it have to be so difficult to make our minds up!!

I guess at the end of the day you view the screens, and go for the one your happy with. Just need to remember to view standard def, HD and DVD or whatever you'll be watching.

9. edgler vess

edgler vess
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :nono:

Suppose It's Not True.

10. pmcgsmurf

pmcgsmurf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Samsung. :thumbsup:

11. Slyboy

Slyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I cant talk for the Sammy as I have not got one, but I am very happy with my Panny. I use it alot for gaming, SD telly and DVD's and it is very, very impressive. If I was you I'd do what some of the guys did, go to Currys or somewhere with both screens, play with the settings and see which you like best. You wont go wrong with either of them.

:smashin:

12. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi all,

Out of interest whats the best price you sen the above 2 screens from and where??

After the above cooments i'm very interested in the samsung myself (though only had pioneer or panasonic before)

13. Plasmoo

Plasmoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I agree both are fine displays but you have to also look at what you get for the money & as far as I can see the Sammy comes up at top PQ & menu options.

Also with regards to SD quality, I am very impressed with the Sammy in SD & when you switch to HD, well what can I say, it puts a smile on your face :).

I have seen the Sammy at around £700 but it might be worth putting the extra with a JL price match at around £800 & get that 5 yrs warranty for piece of mind as I did.

Both are great so make your mind up & enjoy.

14. RPD_UK

RPD_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  15. TRIROG

TRIROG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone else compare the SD PQ on both sets?
    i am very interested in buying one of these, but can't seem to decide ... is SD PQ on q97 really better that the one on PX70/700

EDIT: are q97/q96 100Hz plasmas like PX700(730) or not?

Thanks!

16. Cyclone

Cyclone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I still can't see any difference in picture quality in SD between the 2. Seen both running side by side, if anything I still like the Samsung more, but hardly anything in it. At the moment i'm still pushed more towards the Samsung..... (and maybe even the C96 to save a bit more, as I can't see a difference in quality between that and the Q)

I don't believe they are 100Hz, but don't quote me on that. But just one thing someone could possibly clear up, is the 100Hz on LCD's to help prevent motion problems?, which the Plasmas are better at anyway, if so do you really need a plasma at 100Hz ? just curious....

17. TRIROG

TRIROG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know that 730/700 has the 100Hz option ... however i am not sure bout samsung ... seen them today side by side ... samsung much sharper picture, panny softer, samsung was very bright and white was really white while white on panny had a bit of yellow in it ... but when i lowered the brightness on panny the picture was much more easy on the eyes ...

gonna go see them again on monday ...

18. Purple snakes

Purple snakes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Take it from me i have had a panny px60 and 2 panny px70 the samsung is far superior and SD is much better than the panny i am still in shock at how good it is for the money and I'm coming from panny.

19. Cyclone

Cyclone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Glad it's not just me that noticed that.

20. florinyes

florinyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  21. Purple snakes

Purple snakes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I got this yesterday £728 from costco with 3 year warranty but if you remain a member its for life and can return it anytime.

22. levtweeney

levtweeney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just recieved my Samsung yesterday. Picture does not seem perfect to me. :( lots of what seems like pixelating around images also if watching football it seems to struggle with keeping up with the image.

May be the factory settings so I will play around today to see if it gets any better.

23. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,369
    I've never noticed a problem with footy stuggling to keep up, if you've noticed anything like that on a plasma then think yourself lucky you didn't get an LCD!!
    Be patient, it will take time to settle in, make sure you reduce the contrast and brightness to around 50, put it in Movie mode, turn off DNIe and all the other picture processing stuff. Go easy on it for the first 200hrs or so , try not to watch too much 4:3 stuff with black bars down the side or stuff with bright static logos. Use the anti screen burn feature now and then (I've left mine running for a couple of hours after going to bed using the sleep timer which helps to get the hours up quickly). And now you've invested in such a good TV might I suggest you invest in a decent upscaling dvd player (they aren't expensive these days) and perhaps SkyHD (once you've seen BBCHD you'll never look back!).

24. Plasmoo

Plasmoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Get it off Dynamic settings if that is what it's set to.

Turn down the sharpness to 0 or 10.

As already said, set to movie mode but with contrast/Brightness down to 50ish.

You should be able to get a good SD picture but you need to use HDMi for the best connection although even the standard built in freeview is pretty good on mine.

Remember that once you have seen some HD on this set you will see what all the fuss is about but even in SD this set is one of the best you can buy for the money.

Some SD progs are rubbish quality so rubbish in rubbish out.

25. Jensemann

Jensemann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I've had a Panasonic TH50PH9 and was pretty disappointed. I think about bying a Samsung as well. But somebody whos parents had the Samsung and he himself had a Panny said, that the parents have thrown out the Samsung after compariing to the panny, because the panny was much sharper, the black was much better...

I've seen the Samsung once and recognized that it was flickering this was the most annoýing thing I had on my old Panny PHW6 (which in my opinion was better than the PH9 regarding its black and contrast)

so what do you think? Better bying the Samsung or the Panny.

Doesn't the samsung have 100Hz, a good black...???

26. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Well these 2 Plasma defo seem to be the pic of the bunch (for around £700 mark)

Out of interest the sammy doesnt accept a 1080p signal via hdmi, i was planning to use a denon 1940 which upscales....does that mean this wouldnt work??

Wpuld be curiuos if anyone else out there uses an upscaling dvd player with either of the above plasmas too????

27. Dream Weaver

Dream Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I was all set to order a Panny 37 or 42 px this next few weeks but based on this thread I went out to John Lewis yesterday in both Stockport and Trafford Centre to test out the Samsung vs the Panny.

IMO the Panny had a much better picture, and that was showing rugby in SD - excellent PQ!! The Samsung was playing BBC HD Preview, but the screen and PQ looked quite bad, certainly not HD - so whats that all about? I tried the Sammy with SD and the picture was blurry and not very clear at all - it was next to a LCD screen (Sony) which seemed a much better picture. :confused:

After seeing this thread the Sammy had gone to the top of my list, but having seen it in the flesh yesterday the Pannys were much nicer, PQ wise. SO now I'm even more confused! :suicide:

28. jetinder

jetinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Unlike Samsungs which need things turned off etc to get good-ish PQ, Panasonic dont.

Agreed Sammy do have brighter LCD type colours but overall they arent as good as the PX700.

The PX700 is quality (top of the range BMW) the Samsungs are like a Ford Mondeo Ghia.

29. TRIROG

TRIROG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well today i finaly got info regardihn samsung wether it is a 50Hz plasma or 100Hz ... actually its neither ... it's 75Hz plasma according to samsung source i was talking with ... but id like to get confirmation on that ... anyone?

30. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,369

Please don't base your decision purely on what you've seen in John Lewis, the Sammy doesn't get good reviews on these forums for nothing. It's entirely possible it wasn't set up correctly, was the Sky box definitely connected using HDMI and set to 1080i? Was the Samsung on the Just Scan picture size mode? If not you weren't seeing it at anywhere near it's best. Trust me BBCHD on the Samsung looks stunning. I was watching the Micheal Palin thing yesterday and also Antiques Roadshow and the number of times I said to myself 'My god , that's stunning'. Honestly the Samsung is capable of an absolutely fantastic picture when it's set up right.

For £750 odd with a 3yr warranty and free setanta cam/card it's an absolute bargain. Don't worry about the lack of 1080p, at 42" the visible difference between 1080p and 1080i is negligible.