Samsung PS42Q7 - how to make it more black?

J

JohnAA

The panel itself is OK, I got it configured with the DVE disc and the pq is acceptable. No dead or lazy pixels either (that's why I got it from JL:D )

However now what passes as black is a grey smudge, not very nice.
Is there a way to make it more black?

No dead or lazy pixels either (that's why I got it from JL:D )

That's good - Do John Lewis replace panels with dead pixels? If they do, it might influence me to buy my next one there.

Have you tried adjusting the contrast? Don't be frightened to experiment with the user controls. Not a good idea to have the brightness and contrast very high for the first couple of hundred hours though.

David :)

That's good - Do John Lewis replace panels with dead pixels? If they do, it might influence me to buy my next one there.

Have you tried adjusting the contrast? Don't be frightened to experiment with the user controls. Not a good idea to have the brightness and contrast very high for the first couple of hundred hours though.

David :)

I would have thought that within the first 28 days it goes back no-questions asked.
But there is no a single defect here, so they must be taking the pick of the crops.

I have adjusted everything with the DVE disk, which is not too bad.
I noticed that the black levels tend to go darker if there is absolutely no light in the room --- I now suspect one of those misguided 'picture enhancing' gizmos that cannot be turned off.
Very annoying.

Whats a dve disc and where can I get one ??
Having trouble with my samsung but hoping its just the way i have set things up and would like to try everything before sending it back :(

Whats a dve disc and where can I get one ??

It's a disc that helps you correctly set up your display (colour, contrast, sharpness etc. etc.). The test patterns go from basic stuff to more advanced.

Get it from here.

Some people just use the THX optimiser on some DVDs (Star Wars for example) but that's not nearly as comprehensive.

Thanksfor that Andy !!!
Going to get one now :) Love the samsung ive got but not sure if its faulty having never had a plasma :(

Looks like I spoke too soon.

Just 6 days after installation, it now has a bright *pink* pixel in the lower-right part of the display.
Mercifully it doesn't show on full-white or full-black, but on grey it sticks out.
Sometimes it blinks, saying "look at me"
It's gotta be a couple of pixels, since you can't have pink with a single red one, right?

Not so happy now - hopefully this is not the start of a bad trend of decay...:rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom