1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung PS42P5 confused?? (not s5h)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jonnye, Jul 31, 2005.

1. jonnye

jonnye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it me or am i missing something??? The New Samsung PS42P5 which is due lo launch in late Aug Beginning Sept is by far the most advanced HD setup i've seen....It looks.....well see for your self..WOW!!
    [​IMG]

Yet! it's only £2,000, most of it's same class competitors such as the Panny PV500 et al are pushing £2,200+ but don't come close to the 10,000:1 Contrast and 2...yes 2x HDMI inputs. Am i missing something or is this just a good deal.

Specification:

Dimensions WxHxD (W x H x D) with stand (mm): 1058.5 x 777 x 340.2
    Screen Size: 42 Inch
    Screen Type: High Definition Plasma Display Panel
    Resolution: 1024 x 768
    Contrast Ratio: 10,000:1
    Brightness 1500cd/m2
    Weight (Kg) 42.4 (Net), 60.5 (Gross)
    Colours: 68.7 Billion
    Digital Comb Filter: 3D Comb Filter
    Sound Output: (Watts) 15W x 2
    Sound Mode: SRS TruSurround XT
    3D FX System :SRS TRU Surround XT
    Picture in Picture: Yes
    PAP: Yes
    Picture Compensation: DNIe
    Auto Pixel Shift Yes
    PC Signal input: D-Sub
    Brightness Adjustment Yes
    Contrast Adjustment Yes
    Tuner 1: Tuner Built in
    Video In/Out: Yes
    Terminals: 2 x HDMI Input, 3 x Scart, 1 x Component, 1 x RF, PC Input, Video In, 2 x S-Video In, PC Audio
    Aspect Ratio 16:9
    Stereo/Mono Nicam/A2 Stereo
    Power Consumption On Mode 280W, Stand-by <3W
    Stand Desk Top (Included)
    Teletext 2100 Pages
    Plug and Play setup: Yes
    Viewing angle(H:V): 175:175
    Colour System: PAL
    Scan System: Progressive Scan
    Extra Features: DNIe, SRS TruSurround, HDMI Input, High Definition
    Remote Control Yes
    Power Source (AC) AC 220V

Confused?? :confused:

Attached Files:

2. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the built in tuner? Analogue or DVB?

3. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Take no notice of the 10000:1 claim - that's marketing BS.

The contrast ratio is no better than any other latest generation plasma panel - the marketing people are just playing with numbers - don't get taken in by this!

BTW it will have the same panel as the PS42S5H which you can buy now for under £1500 - so you'd be paying extra for better looks/speakers and additional HDMI and SCART sockets.

BUT it's not available yet and the price has yet to be confirmed - so don't get too excited!

Gussie :)

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Analogue.

5. bazlion

bazlion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It's available from BE-DIRECT

http://www.samsung-superstore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?id=18070

6. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    It may be on their website but it isn't available as yet, still to be launched I'm afraid.

We all know manufacturers like to hype up their claims of increased contrast figures etc but do you have evidence to back you're statement or are you just expressing your own opinion here.

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I must admit it does look a beaut especially compared against the PV500 but can it really match up in terms of performance.

8. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I've used the Samsung panel - PPM42M5H - which has the same HD panel.

This is what Samsung claim fir their new HD panels ...

A super-high 10,000:1 contrast ratio and 1,100 cd/m² brightness level are standard for all new plasma screens by Samsung. Whiter whites, blacker blacks and greater shadow detail are made possible by the 10,000:1 contrast ratio. The high contrast ratio has been made possible by an exclusive octal plasma pixel structure, exclusively developed by Samsung, which increases electrical separation between the pixels. This reduces the tendency for one pixel to influence the adjacent pixel, which increases the contrast. Samsung has also selected a high-Xenon gas, which is up to 50% more efficient in generating brightness.

The 42” PPM42M5H features a high 1024 x 768 resolution and is true high-definition by matching the 720p HDTV format without the need for processing.

Feel free to believe the blurb - but to my eyes it was no different to the Panasonic SD PWD7 panel in terms of contrast and black level.

And the model I had produced awful looking images from FreeView sources - much worse than either the PWD7 or indeed an older generation SD Samsung panel.

These new HD 1024x768 screens from Sansung and others may offer HD ready capability at affordable prices - but for bog standard day to day viewing of sources like FreeView they may well struggle to give a decent image. Something to certainly watch out for!

Also the set I had exhibited really bad image retention - maybe because it was brand new - but no amount of brightness/contrast adjustment got rid of this - a channel logo like TMF would stay on screen for minutes even after only 30 mins or so of viewing the channel.

9. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No image retention on my 5H - at least I have certainly not noticed any.

10. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Yes I can't imagine they can all be like that - I must have had a rogue sample!

But my comments about 10000:1 Contrast ratio are still valid and have been discussed elewhere both on US and German forums.

Despite my comments - I think the new Samsung HD models are still a good buy and should compete well with the Panasonic products.

For myself - I'm waiting to see the new Panasonic PWD8 SD panel before I decide what to buy - I do prefer the minimalist look of a panel only design.

11. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite so Gussie. I bought my 5H as something of a long term investment in that I will be using High Definition as soon as Sky makes it available. From the admittedly very limited evidence I have read about, HD on the Samsung is very good (although I don't know what the Sky feed will be like). In the mean time I have 'saved' a substantial amount by not getting the 500 instead and this saving can go towards a new model plasma in a couple of years time (if there is a substantial increase in the quality of plasmas by then). The Samsung can then go in the bedroom. We all pays our money and take our chances as they say.

12. paul071

paul071

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What is the source of the P5H specs you have posted? I am particularly doubting the two HDMI sockets... Even the U.S. model (HP-R4274 which seem to correspond to the european version) got only one. None of the sets out of the Samsung pipeline for this year is equipped with two HDMI sockets as far as I know.. Well, the 63" version of the P5H seems to be an exception: it's got one HDMI and one DVI inputs...

13. jonnye

jonnye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul071, being the OP, i got my info from DigiUK who already have it on their site though are not actually selling it until End Aug/ Beg Sept. It seems they are wrong and you are right!!..(Read below)

!!! STOP PRESS...STOP PRESS!!!!

Just logged on to french samsung website www.samsung.com/fr and found the PS42P5 spec with .pdf rundown......IT SEEMS THERE IS ONLY ONE "HDMI" CONNECTION.

BELOW IS THE LINK TO THE ACTUAL SPECS, "FROM THE HORSES MOUTH" AS THEY SAY....(albeit in french!!) Pretty self explanatory

http://www.samsung.com/fr/products/tv/plasmatv/files/ps42p5h.pdf

14. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I have the UK 2005 brochure which states the P5H specs as:

No explicit evidence there of 2x HDMI...

Just for reference, these are the quoted specs for the S5H
    The P5 seems to lack Scart but have more speakers and "FRC Plus" according to this. Further evidence of Samsung's sub-par marketing?

15. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
  16. jonnye

jonnye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>>> STOP PRESS....STOP PRESS...... <<<<

Just got my hands on the PS42P5H User Manual (UK Version)!!!!

First things first...in the 'Attachment Section Below' is a picture of the I/O board on the PS42P5H.!!! err...exactly the same as the PS-42s5h panel

And also here is the link for the .PDF User Manual for the PS-42P5H 42" UK. (BEWARE: 3.2mb .PDF FILE)

http://www.samsung.com/download/query.aspx?keyword=ps-42p5h

NB: WHEN YOU CLICK ON THE LINK A POP-UP MIGHT APPEAR FOR YOU TO AGREE TO SAMSUNG TERMS AND CONDITIONS. CLICK ACCEPT, OTHERWISE YOU MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO GET ACCESS TO THE .PDF FILE.

Hope this clears everything up for the "Official UK Spec PS-42P5H"

Cheers

Attached Files:

17. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Apart from some minor changes on page 65 - this is the same manual as the PS42S5D/PS52S5H manual posted weeks ago.

Samsung have already shown how inept their marketing is - so despite early reports from CeBit saying that it would have two HDMI and three SCART interfaces - I would not be at all surprised to see the PS42P5H turn up with only one HDMI and two SCART sockets.

I guess the proof will be in the seeing!

18. paul071

paul071

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So that's all about having a beautiful set with 2 HDMI sockets.. Ok, thanx for the posts guys..

There is still one interesting thing about the S/P5H HDMI input to be mentioned: it seems to have a PC DVI compliant receiver which means that it accepts a RGB progressive signal as generated by PC video cards... If you guys confirm that, than this would be quite a valuable property if you want to plug the sammy to a HTPC (as I do) ... The new Panny PV500-series, for example, accepts only video signals (like 720p or 1080i) on its HDMI socket which requires quite a lot of work-arounds (and lost of quality due to unnecessary re-scaling) to get it running on a PC..

@ jonnye & others: Did you find any reliable information about P5H release dates in Europe? I love the design of the P5H set...