1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung PS42P4A or PS42S4S

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by calmac, Aug 16, 2004.

1. calmac

calmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I have a dilema, I am about to purchase one of the above new models(2004), but am unsure as to which one offers the most, the specifications are identical apart from the following differences

PS42P4A

grade - HD ALIS
    resolution - 1024 x 1024
    contrast - 1000:1
    display - interlace DCDi, although some ads say progressive cinema
    brightness - 1100

PS42S4S

grade - SD
    resolution - 850 x 480
    contrast - 3000:1
    display - cinema progressive, DCDi
    brightness - 1000

Both models are available online for just £2000 (unbeatable.co.uk)
    I cannot get access to a shop which sells them so cannot view them in the flesh.
    Some questions:

Which should give the better picture?
    Which is future proof with regards to xbox, dvd and signal transmission?
    if you were to buy one, which one and why?
    What are the pros and cons of the above specifications?

Any answers you can give me will be well recieved and appreciated.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    search for Alis and see what pops up, Any particular reason why you would choose a Samsung, over a panny! Panny PW6 is available for £2k as well and i would prefer a Panny over a Samsung anyday.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    PS42S4S is an older version of the PS42V4S that is available
    online at BE Direct for £1729 inc delivery.....why pay more.

I wouldn't get a Plasma with a 1000:1 contrast ratio, it will look naff!

4. calmac

calmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and thanks for the comments.

The reason I would like a samsung is the price, incoporation of new technology and the connectivity, the screens I am looking at are 4th generation from samsung, I have spoke to them on the phone more than once just to make sure I wasnt getting one persons opinion and the following models are 4th generation screens introduced in 2004
    PS42P4A
    PS42S4S

the above 2 having slight variations, and

PS42D4S
    PS42V4S

again these 2 having slight variation between them

So basically any set with a 4 is a 4th generation, any set with a 3 is a 3rd generation etc etc..

I have been reading the comments on this site with great interest and still learning form it, "wasabi" who has been in japan has seen these sets and was relatively impressed and confirmed also that they were 4th generation sets.

What I would like to know is which has the better specification on paper and what the differences mean?

Thanks everyone for your comments

5. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate,

as several people will know, I have a 4 week old Samsung PS42V4S and am very happy with it, despite most other people's preference of the PW6s!

The PQ is good and the connectivity is above adequate.

However, can you tell me the differences between the models you indicated - are they just to do with connections??

Cheers

6. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    calmac,

Thanks for mentioning me ;p, but I was in Hong Kong, not in Japan ;D

Wasabi

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    the S has generation 4 screen, generation 1 DNIe pro, DVI
    the V has generation 4 screen, generation 2 DNIe (not sure tho on DNIe)
    the D has generation 4 screen, generation 2 DNIe, PC in socket, DCDi

8. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one pjclarke. Just to clarify as still a little confused....I know mine has DNie and Dvd-i but a couple of questions...

1) What are the enhancements of Gen 4 screens?

2) I take it that if it doesn't have DCDi, does it still incoporate progressive scan?

Thanks for your help.

9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I think so...........
    Invented and patented by Faroudja in 1996, DCDi® or Directional Correlational Deinterlacing, eliminates the jagged edges that appear when standard interlaced video is viewed on progressive scan displays. During the initial launch of the HDTV industry, broadcasters recognized that a means of very high quality upconversion of NTSC was required. Faroudja entered this market immediately, developing the DCDi® algorithm to eliminate the staircasing effect that conventional upconverters introduced to diagonal edges.

What was once believed to be an unsolvable artifact was eliminated by angle correlated vector interpolation algorithms, developed through multiple and laborious experiments. Typical motion video processing relies on intra-field spatial interpolation to generate the missing lines of video from interlaced sourced material because it suppresses motion artifacts. However using spatial interpolation on moving images and diagonal edges (actually, all edges which are neither horizontal or vertical) creates a jagged edge artifact, since the missing pixels are interpolated from those lines above and below, which do not correspond to the edge itself.

Faroudja’s unique algorithm identifies all the moving edges in a scene and adjusts the angle of interpolation at each pixel so that the interpolation always follows the edge instead of crossing it, eliminating staircasing or jagged edge artifacts. The result is a smooth and natural looking image.

DCDi technology was instrumental in Faroudja receiving its third Emmy award in 1999. In addition to being used in all Faroudja Home Theater and High Definition Broadcast products, the DCDi algorithm is now incorporated into Genesis deinterlacers that were derived from the Faroudja technology (FLI2xxx series products). Products incorporating this Emmy award-winning technology are easily recognizable by the “DCDi by Faroudja” logo on their front panels.

10. SeaMan

SeaMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pjclark1, you posts about P/S/V model coding, and explaining the DCDi technology are really useful. I am currently hesitating between LG RZ42PX11 and Samsung PS42x4x models, but must admit that I am more inclined to Samsung, if I can find some correct prices... In that sense, I'd really like to pick the righr 4-generation Samsung model, but the info is quite confusing...

German and Belgian Samsung sites do not mention clearly any model has DCDi. Belgian one even says "DCDi is available on Samsung DLP projection TVs...". Does this mean Plasmas as well? Looking at specs of PS-42S4S and PS-42D4S (they only have these two!, not the "V" variant), there is no clear difference, and not a word about DCDi...?!

Do you have any official links on this? How to be sure what one is getting?

Is it that much batter & worth more than, as I say, an LG RZ42PX11?

Thanks in advance...

11. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Seaman

According to Samsung Hong Kong, D4 and S4 has DCDi, and the only technical difference really is different design, that D4 has DNIe II, rather than DNIe, and D4 came out 6month later than S4 in HK, so I reckon inside the panel there surely small improvements which they haven't announced, as they are probably marginal.

http://www.samsung.com/he/products/tvplasmadisplay/plasmatv/ps_42d4s.asp
    http://www.samsung.com/he/products/tvplasmadisplay/plasmatv/ps_42s4s.asp

I've seen both LG's and Samsung's new panels in Hong Kong, and really there wasn't any difference between them, both had good picture, very similar specs and both have DCDi, but the price was much lower for LG.

In UK, Currys is selling both, and LG has a £300 lower price tag at £1999. I guess for some here, a good place to get initial impressions of both? Although we all know how crap setup they always have.

Wasabi

12. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    whatever you do, don't buy LG, nasty garbage IMHO

I did write to Samsung about the different models S/V and their reply was

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding a Samsung TV.
    I can advise that this model has 1 year guarantee.
    There are no majour differences between these two models"

13. SeaMan

SeaMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Wasabi for the tips... I've checked the specs on two links, but as always, they do and don't differ... Only S4S mentions DCDi, not the D4S model specs?! In the S4S manual, it says: "Progressive Sca: DCDi", and in D4S one: "Display scan: Cinema progressive". If DCDi technology is so efficent and apparently well known, I am surprised they do not clearly and loudly advertise it, so something is not clear here... :confused:

Also, no word on DCDi in either of the two manuals! :rolleyes:

The two models do seem similar, but only so much... S4S seems to have integrated speakers below the panel, which I personally find ugly, but that is the least of important things...

For other differencies, I notice S4S user manual is dated end of 2003, while the D4S is of March 2004. It does not necessarily mean anything, but this is somehow confusing given the pretended appearance of the two models on the market...

Also, S4S seems to have (info from manual) 3 SCART inputs and 2 component YUV ones on the rear panel, while D4S only have 2 and 1, respectively. In addition, S4S has a set of connectors on the side of the panel, for S-Video and composite, which is VERY handy for connecting camera, PS2 and alike...

So, I still have some doubts. Not that I do not trust all of you nice people :) : I've read all of the related posts here, which _DID_ help me a lot, but there's still a lot of contradictory info. As I urgently need a new PLasma set (my 13years old CRT has just gone nuts), and after reading almost ALL related posts here, I still do prefer to double-check the info...

Not a word on Samsung's site (nor manuals) for P4 or V4....?!

So, according to you information, and what I've just extracted, am I wrong supposing that S4S is the one to go for? I would still have to know if DCDi is for sure build-in/used!

Do you guys know is these models are DMCP/HDMI compatible? And what about future HDTV compatibility (clearly, emulating, as the resolution is far inferior)?

14. SeaMan

SeaMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks pjclark1 for the info... What exactly they do call "major" is another story... Of course, they're not of different generation plasma panel, but... (as you will see in my previous post!)...

Regarding LG, I sort of have a bad feeling about it, but it was only taken into consideration because of the price. If I can find the Samsung PS42x4x for reasonably more (up to 500.- euro), I'd certainly go for it. I do not unfortunately have the chance of comparing them side-by-side directly: I've seen LG, but all of this is anyway crap... Sales staff in shops do play with stupid prospective buyers (masses) by largely adjusting brightness/contrast controls to compensate for this or that model shortage or deficiency, depending on that video input they use, and do quite a lot of other cheap tricks, depending of what is to be mostly sold that particular month (or to liquidate their stocks), so unless they let you play entirely free with two models, side/by/side, it's hard to tell... I am not even listening what they tell me, the only stuff I hear is crap, from one vendor to another (depending on who is in charge to sell what :) ).!

In one of your posts, you said in order of appearance/quality, the models would go as follows: 4S, 4P, 4V, 4D... In another, you said it is the alphabetical order of letter that designates the earlier or later model, but then, the "D" does not fit into this scheme...

God knows...

I bet even if you ask Samsung, a person from one country will tell you one thing, and the one from another, a different one...

So, finally, what have we concluded?

15. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I agree that the 4D is the newest, (maybe D is for DCDi) as this is the only one with that feature. I'm not sure I want to pay £500 extra just to get diagonal lines a little bit smoother, so at £1729 delivered it looks like I am gonna get the 4V model. I suspect we already have more information on the 3 models than any of the dealers selling them.
    You are right about the sales staff, funny how they always have cartoons playing on the Plasma's so you can't compare skin tones. Usually they will point you at the Plasma with the biggest markup, or the stock they are trying to shift first.

16. SeaMan

SeaMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I see that for the P4H model, it says "Cinema Progressive (DCDi)", so they're intermixing the terms... Deducting from this, it could be concluded that both D4, S4 and P4 have DCDi, except that the latter is also 1024x768 resolution, which is yet another class...

The P4H also seems to have DNIe3, which should also be better... But, from the manual, it DOES NOT have any SCART input, so here you go...

It's unbelievable: my conclusion after examining every post and plasma model that has some reputation (even regardless of price) and popularity here (and wider) is that NO ONE ever has it all... Therefore, as I still need to use VCR, analogue inputs, S-Video.... but also want progressive scan, component and DVI.... is that there is no much sense in settign with higher-priced models like Pannies, Hitachi, Sony or alike...

Hence the choice of Samsung: it has all required inputs, reasonable price and quality, and probably also good enough PQ to go with...

I still only have to find some reasonable prices around here in Europe, most probably in Germany. Here in Luxembourg where I live, the choice is quite restricted and prices a bit higher than around... Oh, of course, they can order you any model, but don't ask for the price.... :mad:

17. SeaMan

SeaMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's damn right, about us having more info than most salespeople... Or, do we? Did you read wha I just posted?

D4S talks about DCDi on the "features" Samsung's page, while S4S does not. However, on "Specifications" page, S4S is also stated as DCDi, so as I said, just more confustion that certitude...

Perhaps D4 is a newer model, but I dislike the fact of having "just" 2 SCARTs and 1 component input, and there are no side-panel (nor front panel) connections for S-Video or composite, which S4S seems to have all... I really cannot understand why they make such big input option changes, in particular if these models are "mostly the same"!?!

You say you're going with the 4V.. model?! As there's no word about this on Samsung's site, do you have any links with specs, even if at some vendor's page?

18. SeaMan

SeaMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... and while I am here, a final cut of info's with differencies between PS42S4S and PS42D4S models. (French Samsung sites seem to have the clearest info, with nice product sheets):

- DCDi by Faroudja: both D4S and S4S have it (at least they say).

- Tuner: S4S has a double tuner, while D4S has only one. Consequently, there are some differneces with PIP functions.

- # of inputs: S4S has 6 of them, D4S 5 inputs (less one S-Video, but it still has one on the rear panel). As from the manual, on D4S, there's 1 SCART less (only 2), and not any side-panel S-Video and composite connections.

- Sound: D4S has Virtual Dolby 2 x 10W (stating also to have 2 speakers), while S4S has SRS Tru Surround XT 2 x 12W (stating to have 1 speaker ?!). Due to SRS Tru ... blah blah, this is why S4S has more visible and larger speakers below the plasma panel, apparently.

These seem to be the ONLY tech differencies (officially stated), and nowhere I can find any references to any V4* model, only S4S and D4S, let alone the P4H which has higher resolution (and price)...

So, I hope we're set about the specs now, which still does not make it sure that D4S is a newer model, nor that it has any (even if unofficial) enhancements.

What's nice to read is that both above models have fanless cooling system, which means they do not have noise problems like earlier models (as someone said)...

19. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I am likely to buy this one after printing out the advert (and keeping it safe)
    Under the sales of goods act, if it don't meet the advertised spec, I can send it back at no cost to myself.

http://www.digiuk.com/productdetail.asp?id=2126

PS42V4SX 42 Inch Plasma with High Definition Screen with Integrated Tuner
    Includes Free Speakers and Desktop Stand Display scan: Interlace DCDi
    Picture Enhancement: DNIe £1729

Terminals/Input
    RF: 2 Tuner
    AV1 (Composite) x 2 RCA (1 Rear, 1 Front)
    AV2 (S-Video) x 2 (1 Rear, 1 Front)
    AV3 (Scart) x 1 Decoder (CVBS In/Out, RGB In, YC In)
    AV4 (Scart x 1 VCR (CVBS In/Out, YC In/Out)
    AV5 (Scart x 1 DVD (CVBS In/Out, RGB In)
    Component 1 480i/480p/576i/576p/1080i/720p
    Component 2 480i/480p/576i/576p/1080i/720p
    Digital RGB (DVI-D) x 1 (D-Sub 21 Pin), Audio (RCA)
    Analogue RGB (PC) x 1 (D-Sub 15 Pin), Audio (Phone)

further down the advert it says
    Terminals Component (RCA) x 1, S-Video x 1, Scart x 2, DVI-D x 1

Ha Ha
    I believe the last part to be correct on the V4, do you need the PC input?
    1 scart will be RGB and the other scart will be s-video as with most UK Tvs.
    The component connector will be 3x phono sockets

20. SeaMan

SeaMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This looks to me like specs for the PS42D4S model (picture confirms it) I find everywhere else in the continental Europe, except for confusion about sound system, etc... Unless it is yet another UK specific one, but I am again confused: check Samsung UK site, there's nothing except S4S and P4A models available...

Of course you can return it back if it does not correspond to specs, but I'd advise to double-check with the vendor if this is really what it looks like, in particular the model number and specs.

The price is not bad, but I found PS42D4S (which is equivalent one) for 1.550.- euros around here in Germany, so...

Must admit that given the confusion, I'd never dare to order a Plasma set from a UK based site, no matter how good the price, but then... this is the continental perspective :)

I think I will go with PS42D4S which seems equivalent, but am still waiting to find a good place not too far away from here, so that if there's a problem, I can go and pick it myself, or return it... Bouncing around such heavy items by post is not too healthy and I prefer to find a shop where I can pick it up myself...

If you buy this one, please let us know how do you do with it...

21. SeaMan

SeaMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course, I meant 2.550.- (up to 2700.- on more expensive places) and not 1.550.- :D