1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

samsung ps42p2sbx solarisation

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by wolf600, May 31, 2003.

1. wolf600

wolf600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had my plamsa only a day now, i have been happy with the colours and the blacks which i thought i woudnt, my concern is the solarisation i see when anything is really dark on a dvd or even when a programme is playing normally on sky, is this because its only been on for about 10 hours or is it the way it is?
    the whole thing is making me regret the purchase.
    please help me to get the best settings i can, iam using good quality scart cables for both sky and dvd, my ps2 plays really dark as well but i know i will have to get a vga converter to boost that up.
    anough ranting from me, please help guys

cheers:thumbsdow

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think you'll find that it's just the way it is with your panel.

My Pioneer does the same thing especially on Sky...DVD is not too bad...but any panning shot involving faces or any skin tone and it shows up pretty bad and is very distracting...not wha I was expecting.

I tried a number of external video scalers and they all helped eliminate the problem...at a price...whilst bringing their own problems with them such as lipsync issues.

You could trying setting the contrast level on the Sky box to low as some people have reported that this helps.

Cheers, Lee

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you got a image/link that shows what solaisation is?

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It would be very difficult to get a picture of it as it's only present for a fraction of a second. I guess you could rig up a video camera and then go through it frame-by-frame.

The best way I can describe solarisation is if you take a dark image with a lit candle then rather than the flame being smooth it is sort of graduated or banded.

Not too sure if what I described in my first post is solarisation or not but basically what happens on panning shots of faces is this same banding/smearing.

Like I said using either a CS-1 or iScan Ultra or dScaler removed the problem so I guess it's not the panel itself but the processing.

I don't claim to now nearly enough about this whole area I can only say that I can see it on my screen and it can be very distracting especially when you consider the cost.

Personally, for all their faults I still find my old Sony CRT a much more relaxing view.

Cheers, Lee

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I guess like this (Black ball, with suttle colour changes, but instead different colour changes are noticeable?

Attached Files:

6. wolf600

wolf600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the black ball picture does sort of some it up,alot of time when it happens is when strong colours e.g blue(in resident evil movie,the scene in the lift)it cant cope with light shadows.
    still trying to reslove this problem!!!