1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung PS42P2S - any good? Worth £3K?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TP2K, Jan 7, 2003.

1. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys...

Relatively new to this Plasma malarky, but I have done a little research and viewing (prodding an poking!), and have taken a shine to the DSG 42" Samsung plasma (PS42P2S) "all-in" package for £3K... (or maybe just the display from RS for £2.2K and add the speakers/stand myself and save £300! :D )

- can anyone who has this display recommend it? Or indeed, if needs be, steer me away from it?

It looks to be a very nice display and will suit me fine (aesthically and financially!), but before parting with my brass I would welcome some first hand opinions!

TIA!

2. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VERY HAPPY WITH MINE SPLIT SCREEN OPTION WITH TWIN TUNERS MAKES MONDAY NITE FOOTBALL AND EASTENDERS BEARABLE NOW.

3. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VERY HAPPY WITH MINE SPLIT SCREEN OPTION WITH TWIN TUNERS MAKES MONDAY NITE FOOTBALL AND EASTENDERS BEARABLE NOW.

4. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am more than happy with mine too. This unit was only bought for the family room and I expected it to be little used for general movie watching. The truth is that the display does not disgrace itself in the DVD replay department. The clasic plasma screen issues such as banding and dot crawl are present but to no graeter degree than on other higher price models. The only realtradoff at this price level is contrast. The samsung gives good percieved contrast but is not capable of displaying true blacks. Having said that its picture is seriously watchable and does have the edge over other screens when it comes to extended viewing. The composistion of the picture is subtle and does not tire when watching over several hours

If you go for the screen I would suggest going for the £3k model. the tuner is exellent and the supplied speakers are actually quite amazing considering their size.

Hope this helps

Phil

5. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a LOT, guys.

I have only and avearge size room, and have ummed and ahhed about this one...

- for the last two nights I have almost ventured the cold to go get me one of these from DSG... I do want one. I mean, need one!

Perhaps tomorrow!

6. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    - as an aside; did either of you get yours from DSG? If so, how long was your delivery time?

7. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NO ENDED UP WITH THE CURRYS INTERST FREE OPTION NOTHING TO PAY FOR A YEAR . TURNED UP IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS.

8. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi Martin,

Just a small point, but could you please knock off the caps lock? You don't need to SHOUT here ;)

Steve

9. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Three weeks delivery!? That's pretty good IMHO.

I am swayed now though; proper don't know what to do over the "interference" lines issue... :rolleyes:

11. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have no interference lines at all . granted phil mitchell full screen looks a bit ghastly but doesnt he always. the whole package really depends on your needs. i was replacing main tv in lounge so tuner box with samsung fits the bill perfectly. the kids can play ps2 and gamecube at the same time while me and the wife dont argue anymore on monday nites. if you are looking for picture perfect dvds you had better save up for the pio or panny if you need 24/7 tv and bragging rites down the pub this is the baby for you.

12. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin; are there any serious issues with the DVD images? I saw Spiderman and Monsters Inc in a demo (these were naturally R2 btw) and noticed nothing to write home about except perhaps the expected softer images.

When you say "picture perfect" is there something you have noticed?

It will replace my main existing WS TV so will be used as much for TV as it will DVD.

13. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You will have no problems with DVD images! What Martin is saying is that this set does not represent the cutting edge of the market.

Remember use your eyes and ears. if you saw the set demoed and were happy with the picture then don't be second guessed. I hate opera but i can always find people who will expouse its virtue In the end I went ,I sat, I left, and I belived my senses when they told me it was crap!

Go join the samsung club were a small community but we aim to help :cool:

Phil

14. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nope pod racing chapter on star wars with an old sony davs300 set up and bog standard connection out of the box was mindblowing. i havent watched masses of dvds only got the screen just before xmas. i do find myself constantly messing with the set up whilst watching tv especially as the earlier thread said on the football pitch issue grass looks a bit like astroturf if the settings are too high and i did notice the screen was easier to watch after a couple of weeks settling in but overall very happy with my purchase. i think i sometimes read too many threads on here instead of believing my own eyes.

15. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very true actually, Phil! I was all set (and happy) on the Samsung over the cheap end of the market... and then I went and confused it all by doing more and more research before considering a cash handover... :D

The Samsung club; where does this reside then? Did a quick google but found no forum typ thing...

16. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    phil any sign of your js box yet?

17. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To be honest Martin I am currently in Hong kong on business and I am relaying this through my office servers. I asked my PA for an update and guess what? She forgot to post the order. I am currenlty arranging for the her to be flogged via video link (I have to get my jollies when I am away;) ) The upshot is that the order has just been sent out now so Ill keep you informed

Phil

18. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im bloody jealous now wish i hadnt asked . any chance of sneaking a couple of 40inch samsung lcd screens back in your luggage ?

19. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    TP2K

The club consists of Martin , Myself and a couple of other people on this forum. Were a small group but i Have a big mouth :D

Phil

20. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Actually Martin its not as good here as it used to be. The technology it great but the economy is flat and the deals aint what they used to be. Its 11 oclock here and I haven't even found a "chaperon" for tonight .............................................................................................. Oh Sorry was just distracted by the folgging :)

Phil

21. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i cant believe its 11 o/c u r in hk on your own and all you can find to do is talk to me!!!!!!!!!!! ( i will probably get warned that this is not a chat room soon)(soory in advance)

22. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL! :blush:

...I may need membership in the next few days!