• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung PS42E7HD won't turn on??

mcquaid1

Standard Member
Hi Guys

Need a small bit of help, TV was fine yesterday, but today, won't turn on, i first of all checked the plug, actually took the power cable from another TV in the house thats working and still no joy turning on, there is no light flashing or anything, just wont work, TV is maybe 3 years old but hasnt moved and hasnt had a tough life??? we thinking power board??

Any help would be appreciated,

bonzobanana

Prominent Member
Sounds like a power board related issue. You have 4 options, replace it, seek professional repair, get a replacement power board and swap it yourself or try to fix the power board at component level. Why not take the back off and have a look at the power board and take some photos and post here. Some power board faults are self-explanatory when you look at them as often some capacitors are leaking or bulging.

mcquaid1

Standard Member
Here is photo, i have stripped the back off, im a mechanic by trade so should be fairly competent when it comes to fixing it

phototv.jpg

bonzobanana

Prominent Member
Here is photo, i have stripped the back off, im a mechanic by trade so should be fairly competent when it comes to fixing it

phototv.jpg

Really need an image where you look directly down on the power board. So you can see the very tops of the capacitors clearly. On that image the two capacitors at the bottom haven't bulged as far as I can tell but the main power board looks to be on the right in that image as it has much more heatsink material. It looks like yours is split into two sections.

mcquaid1

Standard Member
Will this do? i'd like to change the board but i cant seem to find a new one??

Attachments

• photo (1)tv.jpg
    photo (1)tv.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 275

bonzobanana

Prominent Member
Can you take a picture of the other board close to it which you can see has the fuse present and more capacitors.

If you have a multimeter check the fuse on that other board and see if you can find any other fuses that may have blown. You only need to look at the the main power board and possibly secondary power board if you have one.

I've just done a quick google and came up with this link.

Samsung PS42E7HD Power Supply Unit PSU

That looks like the main power board, the pictures are of a secondary power board perhaps to power the freeview tuner if it has one or more likely the sound amplifier. I'm not sure to be honest but the main power board looks to be a different board than your images.

bonzobanana

Prominent Member
Here is a link that is actually about motherboards but has images on the right side of failed caps. Use the link for reference and see if you can find any bad caps on your main power board (bottom middle board and the smaller power board you have already taken pictures of).

If we can identify bad caps on the main power board then it may be worth you buying a replacement power board if your not comfortable with replacing the caps yourself. There is also the risk of secondary damage to other components so a replacement power board may be the most successful option.

As with all things there is a risk but blown caps gives you a reason why the tv has failed and by replacing that board or caps you have a high chance of successful repair. Some fuses may also need replacing.

Badcaps.net - How To Identify

Best of luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom