Samsung PS42C7HDX component connections

B

bruvvy

Hi,
I have just received my new Samsung PS42C7HDX (equivalent PS42Q7HDX), and the picture quality from my PS2 is very poor. I am about to purchase a new connection cable and understand that component cables would provide the best picture. However I have heard a couple of mumbles that the component connections on this TV are not the connections required for this cable. The component connections are Y/Pb/Pr.

Can someone please tell me if I am able to connect my PS2 this way, and if so, is component or s-video the right purchase??

If anyone has this model or similar and can advise on their set-up that would be useful also.

Thanks in advance for any help

xilog

Are they the standard red, green and blue RCA phono connections? If so then you should be fine. If they're BNC then you'll need an appropriate adapter lead.

B

bruvvy

The sockets on the TV are red, green , blue. However I've heard people say the PS2 component cables require Y/Cr/Cb sockets rather than what I have.

I don't really understand what the difference is so thats what I'm trying to clarify. Basically will a standard PS2 component cable connect to this TV?

xilog

OK, I see where the problem lies. YCbCr and YPbPr are colour space definitions, not connectors. YPbPr is an analogue standard where each of the components can vary continuously and which uses three separate cables to carry the separate component information. YCbCr is a digital version of YPbPr where the analogue values are digitised and is transmitted over a single cable.

Though I don't have a PS2 myself, I've called a friend who does, and who uses component. He says that the PS2 outputs a YPbPr signal that any component input on a consumer TV should be able to accept so long as you go into the PS2 setup menu and tell the box to output component instead of RGB.

speedymax

Standard Member
I've got this telly and until recently had a PS2 connected via component to it without any problerms.
For deeper colours it's worth selecting the game mode via the TV remote/menu for it as well when playing the PS2 (not for normal TV viewing though).

B

bruvvy

Thanks for the replies guys - bought the component cable today and the picture is a thousand times better than with the RGB SCART cable. Just fine tuning the TV setings to get the best picture now

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom