• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be offline from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for a few hours while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

Samsung PS42B451 Plasma TV

Eric Meah

Standard Member
I live in France and have bought a Samsung PS42B451 Plasma TV.

The literature states - tuner TNT HD, does this imply that it has an inbuilt tuner, so do I just point the dish at the right satellite, and it will enable me to obtain the free channels?

What is the right satellite and what point of the compass does it aim at?

Region of residence - Correze.

Sorry if I appear to be stupid but I'm not up with the modern technology, hence talking to the Experts

Many Thanks

Eric

Broadz

The reviews for that TV suggest it has a digital terrestrial tuner built into it (Freeview) but no satellite tuner. So, if you want satellite TV, you will still have to purchase an external satellite digibox.

Eric Meah

Standard Member
Broadz,

Many thanks for the info, does that mean that if I bought an aerial, I would then get the free channels?

I f so, what will happen when France goes digital in my area.

Regards

Eric

logiciel

Hi Eric and welcome to AVF.
The literature does suggest that this has only a terrestrial tuner, not a satellite one, but TNT HD would normally imply the latter!
You need to take a good look at the manual to find out for sure.
Also, if there is a screw-in socket on the back that would be for satellite.
In any case it needs connection to an terrestrial aerial, for analogue or digital, or both.

jim345

Novice Member
TNT is the French terrestrial digital service, not satellite. Many Samsungs (including my own LCD model) have a tuner capable of decoding MPEG4 signals (which I expect TNT uses for HD channels) but this feature is of no use in the UK as our Freeview HD uses a different coding system. You should get the TNT HD service just from your rooftop aerial.

logiciel

jim345

Novice Member
So, TNT (Télévision Numérique Terrestre) can be both terrestrial and satellite. That would be like the UK branding FTV satellite as FreeviewSat. No wonder the OP was confused.

Broadz

TNT is France's digital terrestrial service. TNTSAT and Fransat are France's digital satellite service - which show a lot of the same channels. Just like BBC1 being available on Freesat, Freeview and Virgin cable.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom