Samsung ..ps42/50q97hdx Owners Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fraggledweller

I want to buy a 50 inch Samsung. What is the difference between the Q96 and Q97 range? Samsung were next to useless (didn't know). Can someone help?

Ta

lol....

I just came onto this site...to ask the exact same question! :)

I have had some brill advice from this site so we should get to hear from some soon.

The SAMSUNG PS50Q96HD is from Currys

The SAMSUNG PS50Q97HD is from Comet.

They're both in the Piano Black finish which has attracted me to this TV ovet the LG PC1D, and the picture quality is impressive.. However what's the difference between the Q96 or Q97?

:confused:

Currys have a lot of exclusivity deals with samsung

Currys stock the R73, everyone seems to have R74/R72
Currys stock the R88, everyone seems to have R86/87
Currys had an exclusive launch on the T9 MP3 player and iirc the K3/K5 as well

Same with the Q96/Q97 i imagine

Im certainly not aware of any differences though if there are any im sure someone will inform you

Funny I was going to ask the same question. Looking on the samsung website the specs are exactly the same. The Q97 seem to retail at about £80 more than the Q96. £1111 being the cheapest I've found for the Q97.

Possibly one is in a black piano finish while the other is in a black matt finish?? They did the same with the models which are just now leaving the market to be replaced by these.

Not 100% sure though, and the pics on the Samsung UK site show the exact same thing (pics are actually the same for the two models!) and the specs are the same. Odd :confused:

They have a new range of LCD screens with a similar duality: M86 and M87. People on the other forum all say the only difference is cosmetic. For what it's worth!

If one is matte black, I'd get that one - I find the Samsung glossy black looks a bit too much like cheap plastic. Panasonic and Pioneers somehow look more solid.

CHFels

Like i said, some models are exclusive to Currys but no different to the main range

The cynical side of me thinks this is so currys dont have to pricematch other retailers as they can say the models are different

Ive had an R74 and an R73 and the only difference was the sticker with the barcode on

Hi, the difference is cosmetic - think only differences are the bottom of the cabinet (Q96 has blue light, Q97 might be silver strip). DSG group (currys/dixon etc) get exclusive on Q96, other retailers get the Q97. As some one else pointed out, this might have implications when trying to price match..

I went into Currys today and the Q96 they sell is piano black not matt black, also doesn't have a silver strip along the bottom it's all black. My local Comet didn't have the Q97 in stock so I'll try and find one tomorrow to compare. It's strange that some independants sell both but with a £60ish price difference.

I went into Currys today and the Q96 they sell is piano black not matt black, also doesn't have a silver strip along the bottom it's all black. My local Comet didn't have the Q97 in stock so I'll try and find one tomorrow to compare. It's strange that some independants sell both but with a £60ish price difference.

sjj84, which dealers? One has to be careful not to misread the model number - I know, I did it earlier today - and confuse a C96 with a Q96! Supersonido.es is selling the 42Q97 at €1275, and the 42c96 at €1135. For a few minutes I thought that the cheaper one was a Q96 :rolleyes:

That's more than a £60ish price difference, but not that far off . . .

CHFels

Empire Direct had both the Q96 and Q97 on their website last week with the Q96 being £50-£100 cheaper (can't remember exactly how much).

They only show the Q97 model now so I guess could have been as confused as the rest of us, lol.

http://www.atlantic2u.com

http://www.be-direct.co.uk

Both those sites have both of the screens listed (in 50" at least, didn't look for the 42") They certainly look the same in the pictures.

I feel like Rodney Dangerfield - I just don't get no respect! :rolleyes:

The two models you see on these 2 sites are the C96 and Q79 respectively - note the letter difference! As I suggested 2 posts back . . .:D

If Samsung España is to be trusted, The Q series have 3 hdmi instead of 2, less pic processing options, and a different anti-glare filter. The looks are nearly the same, but not quite, and websites seem to be lazily grabbing one pic and putting it up for all the new Sammys.

At 30-50 quid difference (42" at least), unless anyone seriously likes the C96 styling better, it's a no-brainer to go for the Q model. :smashin:

Until proven otherwise, I'm assuming the Q96 exists only at Currys/Dixons et al,

CHFels

I feel like Rodney Dangerfield - I just don't get no respect! :rolleyes:

The two models you see on these 2 sites are the C96 and Q79 respectively - note the letter difference! As I suggested 2 posts back . . .:D

If Samsung España is to be trusted, The Q series have 3 hdmi instead of 2, less pic processing options, and a different anti-glare filter. The looks are nearly the same, but not quite, and websites seem to be lazily grabbing one pic and putting it up for all the new Sammys.

At 30-50 quid difference (42" at least), unless anyone seriously likes the C96 styling better, it's a no-brainer to go for the Q model. :smashin:

Until proven otherwise, I'm assuming the Q96 exists only at Currys/Dixons et al,

CHFels

I'm also thinking of getting a Q96 or Q97 which are both on the samsung website, the C96 is the old model which is being withdrawn. you say that the Q96 has less pic processing than the older C96 does this mean the older one has a better pic quality than the new Q96/Q97? i saw the older C97 demo in currys yesterday play the toshiba HD demo disc and was very impressed, so i was under the impression the new panel may have an even better pic quality and the bonus of 3 hdmi which i need due to having blu ray,hd-dvd and sky hd

I'm also thinking of getting a Q96 or Q97 which are both on the samsung website, the C96 is the old model which is being withdrawn. you say that the Q96 has less pic processing than the older C96 does this mean the older one has a better pic quality than the new Q96/Q97? i saw the older C97 demo in currys yesterday play the toshiba HD demo disc and was very impressed, so i was under the impression the new panel may have an even better pic quality and the bonus of 3 hdmi which i need due to having blu ray,hd-dvd and sky hd

Skinnymalinky, why do you say the C96 is being withdrawn? As far as I can see it is new. The Q7HD/X and C7HD/X are going to be withdrawn soon, I guess, but not the C96. And I meant to say the Q96 has more pic processing features, not less (on the .es website - yesterday, that is; today the C96 seems to have all the same processing features! :suicide: ). Samsung's websites seem as inaccurate as Panasonic's. Another unclarity: whether the C96/97 models have side HDMI input or not. Acc to the "Features" page, yes; acc to "Specifications", no . . .:(

If you get back to Currys any time soon, can you double-check the model number? Glad to hear the PQ was good, if it's really a C97!

CHFels

Sorry my mistake it must have been a Q7 not a C96:suicide:
Ahh so easy to get them all confused ,so it was a Q7 in currys and i was impressed by the pic and i'm not easily impressed!

So surely the Q97 should be an improvement over the Q7? as well as having the 3 hdmi?

Should i take the plunge? its only £1111.95 inc del

http://www.24electric.com/detail.php?ProdID=98212836&category=VI&subcategory=PL

Also does any one know if it will accept a 1080p source like the pannys?

Just got my PS50Q96HDX/XEU yesterday and i'm fairly impressed with it.(As I should be)

Coming from a 37inch PV500 I maybe done the wrong thing expecting it to be just as good, but it isn't.....or maybe i'm just too picky.

Clarity is amazing with the better resolution, but moving images can show a muffled outline at the back.

Even though it has this bad effect, the overall picture is brilliant. Very 3D orientated. If you don't try to FIND the faults it makes for a very cheap quality plasma.

This TV has only 2 HDMi connections at the rear and 1 on the side. Dunno what the difference in that is?

The tele itself has the FULL gloss black finish around the screen and is a complete unit unlike some Samsungs i've seen with a silver area underneath the front, where the speakers are sat.

Just to let you know, I bought it from Currys for £1199.90. Basically I went in to see if they could price match the TV to Comets Q7. The guys never picked up on those particular figures and I walked away a happy chappy. :)

Edited to add, that right now i'm watching Madagascar via Sky with a Scart lead. The picture is devine with the 3D really coming alive when the animals arrive on the island and the water is in the background. more-so when the camera goes under the surf. The bubbles are so life-like its uncanny. So far I haven't seen and movement problems.

rl]http://www.24electric.com/detail.php?ProdID=98212836&category=VI&subcategory=PL[/url]

Also does any one know if it will accept a 1080p source like the pannys?

According to the manual, nope. I'm not sure it's much of a loss, given the resolution of the sets most people will run 720p into them I guess.

CHFels

just thought i would make a new owners thread for this tv as i know its a very new tv i would like people to post there reviews and thoughts of this fantasticly priced new plasma from samsung...HAVE SAMSUNG REALLY DONE IT THIS TIME ????

YOU TELL ME..here is the spec of the tv from samsungs website

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/plasma/ps42q97hdxxeu.asp?page=Specifications#

NOTICE that it has a motorised mount control...

you can also have the Dnie switched off on this model...there is only a handfull of reviews out there at the moment as this is now why i have made this thread as im thinking of buying this tv as a replacment for my faulty 42PX70...and i will get cash back as i have spotted the 42" for £765 + £25 delivery from martin dawes...online price only ..£949.99 in store...

you can also pick up the 50" for around the same price as a 42px70cab (£1300) or less...

this think is an absolute steel of a price...just google it and tell us what you find ...thank you all for reading and posting on this thread...

:clap:

I'm planning on picking up a 42Q97 as soon as John Lewis get them in stock (customer service and 5 year warranty).

Still trying to understand the difference between the Q97 and Q96 models though. Specs are identical on the Samsung website, answers I have read so far are...

1) The Q97 has the motorized stand whereas the Q96 does not.

2) Slightly different asthetics.

3) The Q96 models are exclusive to Currys/Dixons.

I have no idea which of these are true - would be nice to get a conclusive answer to this question :smashin:

Some pics stolen from a Hungarian forum;

post201175880590ue2.jpg

post201175888824kf5.jpg

post201175889283hq8.jpg

post61175879346lp7.jpg

And another one;

samsung20pavv6tm8.jpg

Just to let you know, I bought it from Currys for £1199.90. Basically I went in to see if they could price match the TV to Comets Q7. The guys never picked up on those particular figures and I walked away a happy chappy. :)

Edited to add, that right now i'm watching Madagascar via Sky with a Scart lead. The picture is devine with the 3D really coming alive when the animals arrive on the island and the water is in the background. more-so when the camera goes under the surf. The bubbles are so life-like its uncanny. So far I haven't seen and movement problems.

Well just went into currys to try a blag it for £1199.90 the guy was having none of it wouldn't do anything on th £1399 price tag as he said it was such a new screen :mad: but he said they had it in stock and would waver the £20delivery fee coz the box is so big it won't fit in my car

The only thing thats got me thinking to buy from a shop is if i'm not happy i could return it, if i get it online i'm not sure if it would be so easy.

woooow

those pics look stunning ...shame about that right hand corner sticker overlapping the screen..i like to keep my stckers on...

thanks for those pics its just amking me want 1 even more now...might just wait a little longer in sending my px70 back to empire direct as there are sites with no stock at the moment and the best price i have seen so far is

http://www.24electric.com/detail.ph...ource=webgains&utm_medium=cpa&utm_content=All

with free delivery with the £1120 refund iwill get a domestick and general 3 yr warranty and get a good stand..and still have a lot of change left over...

I'm planning on picking up a 42Q97 as soon as John Lewis get them in stock (customer service and 5 year warranty).

Still trying to understand the difference between the Q97 and Q96 models though. Specs are identical on the Samsung website, answers I have read so far are...

1) The Q97 has the motorized stand whereas the Q96 does not.

2) Slightly different asthetics.

3) The Q96 models are exclusive to Currys/Dixons.

I have no idea which of these are true - would be nice to get a conclusive answer to this question :smashin:

1) is certainly false. There is a motorized wall-mounting bracket with adjustable tilt and swivel (15 degrees or so), either the C96/97 or Q96/96 will work with it, I believe. But this gadget will set you back a few hundred quid for sure!

2) dunno

3) I'm pretty sure this one's correct.

CHFels

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom