1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung PS37S4AX first impressions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dh303spam, Nov 16, 2004.

1. dh303spam

dh303spam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all
    i know a copule of people were interested in this screen so i thought i would give some thoughts as i don't think there are m(any) reviews of it yet.

Firstly, it looks really good, nice black gloss front panel with silver surround. Feels fairly solid. Nice glowing blue circle surrounding the standby button...
    Downside of the design is connectors are facing backwards so your not going to get it that flush against the wall, with the moulding of the power cable sticking out around a couple of inches.

Picture. Oftern has really noticeable colour banding/contouring, particulalry on people's faces. Having said that, i am a plasma newbie so don't have much to compare to, and i am using low quality sources (sky, PS2) and cheapo interconnects. Still, seems very bright and colours are vivid...

PC connectivity. I was thinking about maybe hooking this screen up to my PC for dvds. I would say if your thinking of doing this DO NOT BUY THIS SCREEN. Its got VGA and DVI ports, and the fairly high ALIS res of 1024x1024 should make it quite okay. Indeed, at 1024X768 its looks crisp. However, at this res, everything is stretched because it is a 16:9 screen running at a 4:3 res. The problem here is that it is very picky about the inputs accepted. There is a list in the manual and basically the only two useful ones it accepts are 1024x768 and 848x480. Ive tried playing around with different resolutions with the new nVidia drivers but these are the only ones that really work properly. It won't scale down 1280x768 for example, (or accept anything over 1024x???). Therefore youve basically got two modes. 1024x768 for pc work, but everything stretched, or widescreen 848x480 for dvds in the correct aspect ratio but lousy resolution. not much point running a hcpc at such a low res... might as well just use a dvd player...

if anyone has any ideas about how to fix this i would really appreciate it!

asides from that, i'm going to hopefully find out if the dvi port will work with the new samsung dvd players which upscale to 720p / 1080i. the screen accepts these through component, but whether dvi is the same i'm not sure...

anyway, hope this has been useful to someone.

cheers

2. richieg1314

richieg1314

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to this forum and have just done a search on this screen but have the following question.
    I am thinking about getting a flatscreen and have come down to these 4 (upgrading from philips 28in flat CRT).

Samsung PS37S4
    Philips 37PF9986 (LCD)
    Sony KE-P37XS
    Panasonic Viera

Does anyone have any of these and how do you find them. I would be planning to connect a DVD recorder, VCR, X box, Sky and possible PC to it.

The Samsung is 1000-1500 euro cheaper than the rest and seems to have plenty of inputs including digital so I'm wondering are you simply paying for the brand on the others or is there that much difference.

Also has anyone picked up the philips DVD recorder home cinema combo and how would you rate that?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    personally not a big fan of philips... any reason why you are not looking at 42" Panels...???

4. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Thanks for you thoughts. Really curious to find out how the Samsung DVD works out. Do you know if this screen is compatible with SKY high def regards 720i @50hz.
    Might just swing it as its a good looking panel.

5. richieg1314

richieg1314

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thought about it alright. I will only be sitting 15 feet from the screen and plan to place it on a unit/stand rather than wall mounted and I don't think I'd have the space for such a wide screen.

Seen the samsung screen on display and the picture from DVD looks very well...Finding Nemo. What are the best type of DVDs to test screen capabilities...fast moving, loads of dark colours or what?
    If the screen gives good picture on DVD does it automatically mean you'll have good sky/xbox/pc viewing?

6. dh303spam

dh303spam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not really. I have the sammy hooked up to a hcpc now running zoomplayer (corrects for ALIS panel's rectangular pixels for correct aspect ratio) and it looks fantastic. Downloaded the DivX HD trailers from their website and they look ridiculously good compared to DVDs.

but, sky looks nowhere near as good, and PS2 is rubbish, even through component, so I would say this screen is pretty unforgiving of poor quality sources.

regarding SKY HD 720p @ 50hz, i am trying to find this out from samsung, along with whether or not the DVI port is HDCP compatible, (manual is kind of sketchy) which is obviously pretty critical. The equivalent US model with the same spec but different model code does have HDCP. Customer services doesn't seem too hot though, so I may need to borrow a HDCP device to find out... unwanted denon dvd players welcome!

7. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Plenty of distance to justify 42 inches. Plus, when looking a unit/stand mounting, bear in mind that the footprint (contact area) is generally a fair bit narrower than the screen itself - and probably isn't that much different between 37 and 42 inches.

As a general rule, no. But then it does depend on how you make the connections. For example, if you use component for DVD, you can't automatically assume the quality of Sky via SCART.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Using external speakers will help the space issue. If it didn't have whacking great ears on the side you could fit in a bigger it of glass. If you are set on a TV there are quite a few with removable speakers, or else have a look at monitor only types, they have lots of advantages, and few drawbacks, complexity of setting them up is about the only one, and you only do that once!

9. richieg1314

richieg1314

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think the philips, sony or panny are worth an extra 1000 - 1500 euro over the samsung?
    The brand thing doesn't really bother me i don't think!! and they all look pretty good as well.
    What is the best way to test these in the shop...bring in a DVD or what and any recommendations?