• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung + PS3 + HDMI = snow/interference picture?

M

Mindvox

Hi folks,

Can anyone who owns a Samsung LCD help me with this query.

You know how on old CRT TV's, there was an interference/snowy/white noise picture when tuning in channels?

Well, when returning to the XMB and when booting up a game, the PS3 would output this kind of screen (just more digital looking) briefly, which I'm told is normal.

That's fine, it never happened mid-game ... until now. I had the Gran Turismo HD demo on loop, and every now and then that interference/white noise screen would flash up for two seconds or so, which also cut off the audio in the process. When the game came back on screen, the audio returned.

I then ran MotorStorm and left it running the intro loop, only to see the same interference/white noise screen appear briefly, albeit this time the sound remained as the screen went funny.

I'm using the HDMI cable provided by Virgin Media with my V+ box, and I have GT HD running now (and have done for the past half hour) and it's not done this interference/white noise (flash) ... yet.

Has anyone else come across this using a Samsung LCD? I have a LE32R73BD. I've been told it could be a cheap HDMI cable causing the issue, but I thought the cable was irrelevent since it's a Digital signal, etc.

Is there any known handshaking issues with this Samsung set that could cause the PS3 to boot up not properly "connected" or is it an issue with the PS3? I called Sony and they said it was "new to them and not a known problem with the console".

Thanks.:thumbsup:

psikey

Distinguished Member
From what I've read on the pro's/con's of HDMI cables, that sounds like the description of signal degradation with HDMI if you have a poor cable feeding high bitrate stuff or a bad connection. Lost data can show as speckles or graininess.

As a quick test, try turning your HDMI cable around incase the plugs arn't seating correctly or you have a loose/poor connection.

M

Mindvox

From what I've read on the pro's/con's of HDMI cables, that sounds like the description of signal degradation with HDMI if you have a poor cable feeding high bitrate stuff or a bad connection. Lost data can show as speckles or graininess.

As a quick test, try turning your HDMI cable around incase the plugs arn't seating correctly or you have a loose/poor connection.

Cheers mate, I'll try that.

I should have mentioned that when this interference/white noise comes on screen it's the whole screen that goes and nothing of the game is visible. It's not like interference over the game, the whole screen just flashes up this interference and the game is "replaced" by this screen for 2 seconds.

On GT HD this morning it happened six times in the space of a minute, and each time this digital white noise replaced the game picture, the sound cut out too.

psikey

Distinguished Member
Cheers mate, I'll try that.

I should have mentioned that when this interference/white noise comes on screen it's the whole screen that goes and nothing of the game is visible. It's not like interference over the game, the whole screen just flashes up this interference and the game is "replaced" by this screen for 2 seconds.

On GT HD this morning it happened six times in the space of a minute, and each time this digital white noise replaced the game picture, the sound cut out too.

Sounds like a cable issue to me for certain. Lots of people on AVForums use Samsung LCD with PS3 with no reported problems I've read via HDMI connection.

M

Mindvox

Sounds like a cable issue to me for certain. Lots of people on AVForums use Samsung LCD with PS3 with no reported problems I've read via HDMI connection.

As long as it's a cable issue, I'll be happy since I plan to buy the Official Sony cable next week. I was just more concerned that it was an problem with my PlayStation 3, since the TV has been fine with the V+ box using HDMI for months now.

psikey

Distinguished Member
As long as it's a cable issue, I'll be happy since I plan to buy the Official Sony cable next week. I was just more concerned that it was an problem with my PlayStation 3, since the TV has been fine with the V+ box using HDMI for months now.

Try using the V+ HDMI cable then with the PS3 to see if it goes away :thumbsup: (unless you already are using that one!).

M

Mindvox

Try using the V+ HDMI cable then with the PS3 to see if it goes away :thumbsup: (unless you already are using that one!).

Yeah, I mentioned in the first post that I'm currently using the same HDMI cable that came with the V+ box.

I mean, watching GT HD going through it's paces now, there's nothing wrong with it. The only issue I (and some others I know with Samsung TV's) have is the overscan when using HDMI. Look at the character select screen on Virtua Fighter 5 and around 2cm top and bottom are off the screen, resulting in character names/on screen captions (Press Start, etc) being cut in two.

Right now though, my concern is about this interference/white noise which, as you said, sounds more and more like a cable issue. It does it so infrequently that it's tough to keep an eye on. It can do it one day, then not show up for another two or three days before acting up again.

Tony Hoyle

Overscan is likely to be a TV issue - you may be able to correct it on the service menu.

If the signal breakup is intermittent like it could be some kind of intereference from a nearby device. You haven't got your cable wrapped around a microwave have you? :D

M

Mindvox

Overscan is likely to be a TV issue - you may be able to correct it on the service menu.

If the signal breakup is intermittent like it could be some kind of intereference from a nearby device. You haven't got your cable wrapped around a microwave have you? :D

:D No microwave last time I checked mate, although it's something I'm sure the games room could use!

I don't have the PS3 hooked up to any home networks either.

Strange. :confused:

psikey

Distinguished Member
:D No microwave last time I checked mate, although it's something I'm sure the games room could use!

I don't have the PS3 hooked up to any home networks either.

Strange. :confused:

Well other than trying your PS3 & cable on another HDTV, the cheapest way of trying to solve the problem is to try another HDMI cable.

I only need 1m length cables & after advice from the guys on the cable part of AVForums use the Molex brand as cheap but great quality leads (according to them) from 1-5m.

I have no problems at all & using 3 of them. You can get them on ebay but they charge more I find.

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Cable/Cable+Assemblies/MOLEX/887689800/displayProduct.jsp?sku=8749981

Tony Hoyle

Wow that's a good price for molex - most places charge around £17 for that.

psikey

Distinguished Member
Wow that's a good price for molex - most places charge around £17 for that.

Farnell is like RS Componets selling to industry usually. That price is unlikley to include VAT or delivery.

I actually bought mine off ebay at about £15 each before the cable guys posted this link.

Yep, £8.78 with VAT then delivery on top.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom