Samsung PS-50P96FD Green dots?

FiremanSimon

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, seem to have a problem that I hope someone out there could help me with.:lease:

I have a Samsung PS-50P96 plasma and have noticed a problem with the picture, I have lots of green dots dancing all over the blacks on my screen even through HDMI inc Blu Ray and Xbox 360. The only way to make them dissapear is through setting the brightness upto 100!!

I have the picture running through an Onkyo 805, but it still does it even through the freeview or when no signal is displayed.
Have a major fault??

Thanks Simon

Mine appears to be developing the same problem. :(

It seems worse when it has just been switched on.

Thanks for the reply, Seems to be ok but with the brightness set on 100, To be honest the picture looks fanastic being set at 100 brightness and 45 contrast, but obviously it's not right, e-mailed Samsung yesterday and they asked for my Serial/model etc. Just waiting to see what they say, will let you know what happens.:thumbsup:

How old is yours?

thanks
Simon

a friend of mine had the same problem when he played blu ray or played games on his ps3 but i managed to fix it changing the tv output from 1080i to 1080p or else it was the other way round im not sure but it sorted it out.
i hope this helps a little to someone!

i also got the green dots, they drove me insane, i just replaced it with a pioneer, id lobe to fix the problem though, as ill be putting it in another room.

thanks

All sorted the men from Curries fixed it...Nice

Hi, are you kidding me?

There are two approaches to fix a problem:
a) circumventing it, basically what you did whit cranking up the brightness
b) solving it, getting help from cs or replacing the set

Imagine, I had this TV too and I can tell you what the green spots are:
defects. And not defects that could be solved, these come with the low colour depth and grayscales of this model - let's face it.

Therefore, how in the world would a technician have fixed your problem? That false contouring (green dots) are proprietary to this model, since it has insufficient grayscales due to its affordable price (for 50inch).

Best practice, is as mentionned and I did: trade it on e-bay, claim the cash for a panasonic or a pioneer and you'll be better off this way.

Hi, are you kidding me?

There are two approaches to fix a problem:
a) circumventing it, basically what you did whit cranking up the brightness
b) solving it, getting help from cs or replacing the set

Imagine, I had this TV too and I can tell you what the green spots are:
defects. And not defects that could be solved, these come with the low colour depth and grayscales of this model - let's face it.

Therefore, how in the world would a technician have fixed your problem? That false contouring (green dots) are proprietary to this model, since it has insufficient grayscales due to its affordable price (for 50inch).

Best practice, is as mentionned and I did: trade it on e-bay, claim the cash for a panasonic or a pioneer and you'll be better off this way.

Thats not completely true..The problem doesnt appear all the time. The green pixels does not appear all the time for me, but in random periods.

I had a simmilar issue on a previous samsung plasma, but if anything, I used it as a guide to set my brightness/contrast. By setting my contrast around the 90's and going to a dark scene on the source, I would adjust the brightness down until the "green dots" went away, which was usually around the 50-60 mark, which arguably is what the plasma should be at anyway.

It's the panel that is broken.
I hade a service repair man over at my place to take a look at it.
He replaced the MAINBOARD but the dots were still there, so now they are going to replace the whole panel.
So there you have it. Green dots=bad panel.

hi,what model would they replace it with, as they dont make these anymore, and the new ones are a lot cheaper than the origional price. did yours do it all the time, or just now and again

thanks

hi,what model would they replace it with, as they dont make these anymore, and the new ones are a lot cheaper than the origional price. did yours do it all the time, or just now and again

thanks

They opened upp the back off the tv en wrote down some numbers..they hav'nt replaced the panel yet but i think i will get the same panel as the original.
The model is not even 2years old so they have the panel i storage.
And it's warranty so i dont pay anything.

mine is only arond 15 months old also, but they hav'nt had this model for a long time, i would check up on that if i where you. i will be ringing comet soon for them to come look at mine, well d&g are the company who issued the extended warranty, so it will be them ill be ringing, who did you get your tv from? was your warranty with them or D&G, just wondering how long they take to come out, and how long my panel would be away.

mine is only arond 15 months old also, but they hav'nt had this model for a long time, i would check up on that if i where you. i will be ringing comet soon for them to come look at mine, well d&g are the company who issued the extended warranty, so it will be them ill be ringing, who did you get your tv from? was your warranty with them or D&G, just wondering how long they take to come out, and how long my panel would be away.

First of all i live in sweden and we hav 2y warranty on electronics.
I don't have to send my plasma away they are comming home to my place with the new panel.

Now i've got the panel replaced to a new one, and the picture is back to normal.
If you have gren pixels all over youre screen in dark areas then youre panel needs a replacement.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom