1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung PS-42v4s

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by maddogmcq, Sep 2, 2004.

1. maddogmcq

maddogmcq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    For anyone considering buying a Samsung PS-42v4s, I thought I'd give my mini-review of it...

Cheap(!) at less than £1800 delivered. Free base stand, two built-in tuners, speakers and a pretty good looking unit overall.

As for picture quality, I have to say that I'm quite disappointed!! Its really quite blocky and gives you the appearance that it can't generate enough colours, so you end up with a kind of banding. For example, if watching a music-dvd and there's a spotlight on stage, pointing directly to the camera, you end up with "radials" of light instead of a nice even spread. Skin tones suffer significantly too. Blacks are superb!

Thking that I could make big improvements, I just bought the progressive scan Samsung DVDHD935 dvd player which (at the time of writing) is probably the only player under £200 which has a DVI-D Connection. Surely this would make a difference?

NO! Slightly better, but still annoyingly inadequate picture quality. Luckily, I have a 37" glass tube Toshiba in the other room. The plasma will have to be relegated to the duty of watching Music DVD's only. It just doesn't cut the mustard!

I know that this is nobody's fault but my own - I should have researched plasma's more b4 buying and I guess that at less than £1800, you can't expect too much. Lesson learned.

Save up another £500 to £1000 and be happy. No point saving money if you're watching movies with a sulk on your face :laugh:

Tom.

2. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thats really interesting to hear the first review of the V4, I also have one.

I do agree with what you say to be honest. Blacks are really good but I do know what you mean about the banding. However, for the money I don't think it's a big problem.

I am also about to purchase a Sammy DVI-D dvd player to see if it makes any difference but obviously not!

One thing i would not necessarily agree with is the skin tones, I think they are generally pretty good.

How do you find your component connections? I find i get a better picture through scart!

John

3. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hicksy,
    Just ordered a V4 for delivery in 2 weeks but could cancel.Whats your overall opinion on the PQ? Would you talk me into cancelling the order? Otherwise the spec looks to be perfectfor me.
    Cheers. Happyh.

4. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok heres the pros and cons from my point of view.

Pros
    Very nice looking display.
    Good connectivity.
    Twin Tuner
    Price
    Good PQ for the money
    Good blacks
    High contrast
    rich colours

Cons
    PQ is slightly blocky with my cable but thats to be expected as cable is crap.
    PQ on DVD is good, banding occurs on brighter colours sometimes.

Basically, for the money I am really happy with it. Its a gen 4 display, has all the coonections you would want and looks good.

Yes you could spend another £300/£400 and get a panny. then why not spend another £300/£400 and get a better panny or Pioneer. At the end of the day you have a limit like most of us. I don't think you will get a better plasma for that price.

Hope this helps.

John

5. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, thanks very much for that . Will leave the order and look forward to delivery.
    Regards.
    Happyh :smashin:

6. maddogmcq

maddogmcq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    I've not tried the Scart connection. I started off with S-Video which would normally trounce all over a scart. I use S-Video on my other TV and the benefits are enormous.

When the connection didn't prove to be too good on the plasma, that's when I decided to go for a DVD player that sported the excellent DVI-D. I was pretty sure that this would get rid of my gripes. It didn't. I guess I was expecting too much for the money. I should point out that my only REAL gripe is the colour banding. The contrast is second to virtually none and the blacks (with DVI-D) are outstanding!!!

I'll have to just accept the limitations at this price and put the wife on the streets so I can upgrade in the future.

I'd like to point out that the Samsung DVDHD935 is an AWESOME player!!! Do not hesitate to buy this machine, especially if you have a plasma with DVI-D connection. It also benefits from seemingly being able to play any type of disc you can throw at it, including (backup) copies.

One MINOR whinge is that although the DVD player remote has TV functions, they don't appear to work on the plasma. Shame.

I bought my DVDHD935 from www.unbeatable.com for an amazingly low £139 and that even included a DVI-D lead. It arrived on my doorstep the day after I ordered it. Pretty damned good!

Tom.

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I hate to point this out, but s-video is a fairly low bandwidth connection
    RGB SCART is far better quality, and should always be chosen over s-video.

8. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TOm,

thanks for the reply. I was always under the impression S-Vid was not as good as RGB scart!? I may try my S-Vid to see if i see any differences.

Cheers,John

9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Hicksy
    I thought you said your "V" only had a single tuner

10. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty sure I didn't because Empire (where I bought it from) states twin tuner.

I only ever use cable when watching tv.

PJ, you are interested in the V4, I am, and Empire, are correct in saying that aren't we? :confused:

11. maddogmcq

maddogmcq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't admit to knowing the definitive answer regarding the bandwidth of RGB and S-Vid, but can tell you that on my 37" Toshiba (glass tube), the difference in picture quality between the Scart and S-Vid was startling! S-Vid was far, far better.

I have two DVD players connected to my plasma, so I'll try one with a Scart lead instead of S-Video and see what its like.

Thanks!
    Tom.

12. MrPudding

MrPudding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HHhmmm reviews are very mixed on this set. I have to admit though, of late i have seen a lot of positive reviews. One thing i would love to know is the resolution of the Samsung PS42V4 as, i have been told by Martin Dawes that is is 1024 x 1024. Anyway know if this is true, as the Samsung website has NOTHING about it!

13. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    maddog
    you have a fully wired scart cable that is causing a problem
    snip pin 19 from one end, and pin 20 from the other.