1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung PS-42S5H review

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by assetman, Sep 11, 2005.

1. assetman

assetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: After trawling the forum, visiting Currys and Comet for a look and asking everyone at work, I decided for 42" palsma and Samsung. Originally I wanted the black one due for release in the UK in Sept 05. That was before Samsung decided at the last moment not to release it here. Still having done the research it was a quick job to go for the PS-42S5H. I received it from PRC Direct, just in time for the test match at Trent Bridge. Absolutely brilliant!!

Now I use this as a TV connected to Freeview and to show DVDs - so I cannot comment about gaming etc. But as a TV is works really well. Crisp clear picture with no smear of problem with fast motion. It looks like all those problems you pick up in other threads about other plasmas have been addressed by Samsung in this fairly recent model.

Sound is 15w per channel plus SRS surround sound. Sound is very good and goes up to nan-volume. I also run DVDs into my stereo. I found that you need to use the AV out on the TV to connect to the stereo, not the DVD player AV out, and you need to turn off the STS if you have the TV sound and the stereo on. Otherwise there is a slight echo and it sounds as if the film was recorded in a biscuit tin.

2. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I wish mine was the same :(

3. Tommymang

Tommymang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I bought this plasma a few weeks ago. At first I thought it was a great plasma, but then I watched some DVDs and some HD trailers (xbox360). Bright scenes looked ok. I'm sorry to say this but dark scenes looked terrible! No detail at all! Tried all settings but nothing seemed to help. For instance watch the DVD of LOTR (1). First the New Line cinema logo looks awful (solarisation)! Then watch the scenes that take place at night, no detail at all, I almost couldn't see what actors where onscreen...

I was very disappointed and decided to return my Sammy. Now I have a Panasonic 42PV60. Looks far more better!

4. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    thanks for reminding me i made the right choice :smashin:

5. Tommymang

Tommymang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No problem mate ;-) I just can't understand how Samsung could mess up with this plasma. Is this a general problem with Samsung plasmas? I suppose they are better at making LCD screens...