Samsung PS-42P2S????????????????

Oasis-GasPanic

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a plasma at the moment and was wondering if anyone had any opinon on this display. I know it will never produce as good an image as the Panny W4/5's or tosh's, but considering currys are selling them for £3k inc. 12months intrest free, tuner/scart/scaler box, speakers and table top stand I think it's a bargain.

BTW can anyone tell me if they will accept a prog scan signal PAL/NTSC.

Regards,

To late, I've gone and got one now:D :D

Went into Currys this afternoon and asked about it's prog scan capabilities. The aswer was very funny! The guy basically said all the TV's in the store accepted PAL progressve signals including a 14" portable I pointed out looked "cool". :D :D :D Anyway in the end I took the plunge and went for the screen due to the great tuner box (2RGB scart, 2component, 2SVHS, PIP) and interlaced DVD performance (they actually setup a sony 900 dvd player for me took take a look). The thing that actually clinched it was the price. £3500 inc. wall brackets, desktop pedestal, speakers, tuner box, installation (by samsung themselves) and 4 years warranty (parts, labour & accidental damage).

All in all a great purchase (and I'm only 19, Iwonder whats next) :)

Give us the low down on how the screen performs and how well installed it was etc.....

Any chance of getting some piccies of yer new beastie in place?

I ordered it on the 19th and was told by Currys "Samsung would give me a call withih the next 3-7 working days and they would ask me for a prefered delivery/install date". So the second it arrives and is install I will make sure I post my views (and some pic's)

Regards,

Just popped into my local Currys to marvel at the plasma I recently ordered and couldn't believe I didn't notice on the back of the tuner/scaler box there is a DVI connection - just thought I'd inform everyone.

As it stands the box has the following connections;

Scart (RGB) x2
Scart (composite, Svideo) x1
Component x2
VGA x1
DVI x1

Regards,

Originally posted by Oasis-GasPanic
I'm in the market for a plasma at the moment and was wondering if anyone had any opinon on this display. I know it will never produce as good an image as the Panny W4/5's or tosh's, but considering currys are selling them for £3k inc. 12months intrest free, tuner/scart/scaler box, speakers and table top stand I think it's a bargain.

BTW can anyone tell me if they will accept a prog scan signal PAL/NTSC.

Regards,

I'm looking at this screen also for 3K its fantastic value.

Cheers,
Neil.

sorry to p-ss on your parade I think you are in for a long wait I tried to order this on the 17th & told delivery would be 8-12 weeks maybe more & I have heard RS are going to do a better deal on a Samsung or better plasma with tuner, stand & speakers included.

Just to add something to this, I saw a Dixons (same as Currys now, right?) ad in the paper today for the Samsung which stated, "order before november 17 for delivery before christmas" - or words to that effect.

I am very tempted by this whole package. I would rather go for a panasonic but by the time I add in a stand and tuner and separate finance it'll work out about a grand more.

I'm gonna pop into dixons/currys at the weekend and take a look.

I'm very keen to hear whether the DVI input on this screen offers significantly better quality than other connections.

Cheers, Peter

Hi,

After much research and invaluable info from this forum, I'm going to have to make the decision soon which plasma to go for!

The Pioneer 43" or the Pana 5 series are favourite, but I'm still keen to hear if anyone has the Samsung?

I wouldn't normally consider buying from Currys/Dixons, but the unit looked good in the one shop I could find where it was properly set up, and the value and connectivity (including DVI?) looks excellent.

Can anyone give me feedback?

Cheers, Peter

High all

Well this is my first visit to the forum and unfortunatly it si to bring bad news. Currys have informed me that the plasma I ordered on October 7th will not be delivered until December 2nd.

To get this information I had to almost camp out in the store and threaten physical violence (I too had been promised 7 to 10 days then 2 to 4 weeks, then 4 to six and so it goes on).

The real problem here is that I got to see the shipping list for the set and I was 82 on the list. Unfortunatly Currys didn't order a large amount of sets and so priority has gone to other Samsung outlets. If you order now its unlickly to arrive pre christmas.

On the plus side I already have a samsung plasma set up in my offices (same screen without tuner) I connected it up using my Iscan Pro and Tag DVD, the picture was excellent and comprable with even the pioneer. the added advange here is that the samsung doesn't have fans and beleive me that small backgound noise can really hack you off when youve shelled out a years sallery on your sound system!

Summery

Good set if you can wait for deliverey :)

Hi everyone,
I to have know been told "due to demand your plasma should be with you by early December:( ". And for anyone interested I've just seen a Pioneer 433HDE in action at a friends and I must say the blacks on the thing aren't as good as I would have expected (strange considering the pioneer having a superior contrast ratiocompared to the samsung).

Regards,

My local Audio-T (Swindon) has the Samsung on demo, and i was very impressed with it. Audio-T man quoted 2900 pounds (I think). He maintained it does NOT do PS - omitting the circuitry for that was one way of keeping down the cost. I heard from another source also that it is not PS capable which was a big drawback for me but may not be for others. Nevertheless a good screen.

I have a Pioneer 433 - MXE not HDE - and the performance of the MXE is well ahead of the HDE. Blacks are not quite upto Panny standard but not far off. In all other respects it is a belter - brightness, colours, detail etc are excellent. Check out this forum, a lot of very satisfied MXE buyers around now - although availability currently is not much better than the Samsung I think.

Check with your local Audio-T branch if you're after a Samsung - last Thursday the Swindon branch still had its demo model.

Update on delivery

Currys have confirmed that the delivery date for the set is indeed December 2nd. I have tried to get a closer date but currys maintain its out of their control. Unfortunatly i will be in Canada trying to earn a crust to pay for my AV habit and will not get to play until christmas eve!

As to the progressive scan issue., you can download the manual form samsungs site and it clearly states that the set is PS. The other point to make here is that currys advertise the set as PS. If this is incorrect I a sure that this backlog of orders will turn into a plasma mountain of returns. I must say that I have never come across a plasma set that dosn't do PS!

Phil

Let us know how you get on....

This isn't a 'rub it in' (for info of rest who maybe dont know) but its in WhatHiFi for £2300 inc this month, from you guessed it, richer sounds.

Very very tempting :)

Magsy,

I don't have a copy of the mag yet. Does the advertisied version include the tuner? I'm not bothered about the stand or speakers, but the tuner helps significantly to meet the requirements of the rest of the family!

There also seem to be many variants of this screen with different connections - I've seen ones including 2 x component, 2 x SCART, and even DVI, although its never clear whether the connections are on the screen itself or via the tuner STB.

If anyone can track down a spec or (better still) a manual for the UK model(s) sold by Curry's and RS I'd be very grateful.

Cheers, Peter

Ditto the varying specs, i think dvi must be via TV Tuner coz every PDF or Samsung doc i`ve seen says only plain pc 15pin dsub input.

The richer sounds ad basically says nothing, scan attached. U do get free speakers tho!

Scan of Advert

The DVI would be nice but if u have to get the tv box for that it kinda defeats the point (personally i'd scale TV via the PC as first choice, I`d have a tuner box doing nothing..)
Plus if its DVI on the tuner box, how does it get to the plasma? via analogue vga? lol

:mad:

Well Curry's have yet again changed their delivery dates and I am back to a none specific delivery time. The 2nd of December, I am now informed, was never a firm date but simply an indication of when I could expect the actual delivery to be arranged. What a load of rubbish (I was a little harsher with Curry's). I decided to cancel the set and go elsewhere, guess what "we will have to charge you a cancellation fee sir".

After a heated echange of viewpoints I left the store with a promise that if the delivery was not organised by Thursday then I would recieve a full refund and that ellusive entity, the phone number of the currys area manager.

Now this fiasco just goes to show how crap we are with customer service in this country. I have sourced most of my AV kit in the US and had it imported. The longest I have had to wait is four weeks for the Lexicon amps (too heavy for normal courrier so it had to be sent by sea). Oh well it will teach me to buy from a box shifter like Curry's

This one purchase for the family room has caused me more hassle than building the entire home theater.

I really hope they dont call tomorrow!

Phil

...on the Tuner box (or at least the one in my local Dixon's did).

Does that mean that there's digital transfer to the panel, or is it converted to analogue (thereby defeating the object of DVI!)?

Cheers, Peter

P.S. Anyone got one yet?

was looking at a samsung today at a customers house no tuner no speakers 1 x scart 1 x svid 1 x comp it was a 42p2s brand new will ask tomorrow where thay got it from and to see what picture quality like

I have owned the samsung for over a year and i would like to say that the picture is not much worse than the panny i was going to buy the panny but the buzzing was to loud also there was not much difference in the blacks of the picture ok the panny was a bit sharper in the shop but once i got the samsung home it looked brilliant after a DVD THX colour set up.
Also yes it has got a dvi input on the box also your box connects to panel by DVI connection i tried my friends samsung dvd-hd935 dvi dvd on it and it had to be seen to be believed as now i am going to change to that model hope this helps anyone who is considering buying one of these screens

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom