1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung PS-42D4S

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tutin, Feb 15, 2005.

1. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm very new to Plasma, read the usual warnings about burn-in, lifetime etc, but I also have a number of people telling me the opposite, that those issues have been solved now etc.

I've stopped my eye on this model - Samsung PS-42D4S, it's has a rather good price tag, specs look real good too.

However, I couldn't find any reviews on this model and oppinions were very difficult to find too. I did read the other subject from 6 months ago on this model and the V4 model, but people there didn't mention much about burn-in.

For me the major worry at this point seems to be burn-in. Lifetime of 30 000 or 60 000 hours is anyway too much, I dont intend keeping my TV for 20 years ;) But burn-in.. hmmm

Since some of you people have those already for almost a year, do you have any issues with image retention ? How do you prevent it ? Does it take a lot of care to keep it in good health or can you treat it like a normal TV - get 20 beers and Rambo, watch drink and eventually wake up in the morning with a non-damaged TV ?

Got a colleague at work who bought an LG if i'm not mistaken and he says his plasma has a number of burn-in protections, like the picture on the screen moving every n minutes a bit in all directions, then some sort of color inverse which will balance pixels etc.

I couldn't find ANY information on similar protections from Samsung, at least not on that model. Does that mean this model is doomed to get burn-ins unless you treat it like your own child and look at what's on screen all the time etc ?

I'm from Belgium and here we can get a hold of this model for about 2400 euro, which is a pretty good deal considering all..

I would very much appriciate it if you'd share your experience / thoughts on this model.

Thanks
    tutin

2. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to own the V model, it's the same as the D but has no VGA port. I suggest steering clear of it, mine broke down on me twice with the same fault within 2-3 weeks. The quality of the screen is ok, but not nearly as good as the Panasonic PWD7 which you can pick up for around the same price now. It's main problem is with motion, it blurs quite nastily during pans, there is also quite a bit of banding. It's pretty good via component, but not brilliant. That said, I was happy with the picture quality while I owned it (the blurring during panning was still very annoying) but I never knew that the Panasonic would be so much better until I sent my Samsung back since it kept breaking and bought a PWD6 with the refund money.

3. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info..

So it's not as good as I initially thought .. What broke on yours ?

Provided you only owned it for 2-3 weeks, I dont suppose you had burn-in issues yet.

Anybody else share experience on the model ?

4. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I also had the V model. I sent it back because of terrible picture quality. I also got a Pany and the picture knocks the Samsung into a cocked hat.
    Have a search for my views. If you buy the Samsung don't say you were not warned. :eek:

5. bluevortex

bluevortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    i was tempted by the samsung to start with, that was until i read about the panasonic on this site initially and then went to view it in the local panasonic shop. it seemed far better pq for the same price. . .

6. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But I see the PWD7 has 408,960 pixels ONLY !

The sammy has 1,227,000 pixels, doesnt that make like HUGE difference ?

7. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They both have the same resolution, don't worry. There is *nothing* the Samsung does better than the PWD7.

Mine developed a vertical line of dead pixels, then another, then another till there were 5. The replacement set did the same thing. The retailler I bought from told me not to get it replaced again since many people had been experienceing this fault. Even though I had it for 3 weeks, there was a little burn in! No such thing on the Panny and I've owned it since the beginning of January.

8. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't know what the Samsung does with al the extra pixels.They must hide, or be on strike , or something. Coz you can't see them :(

9. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll defo have a look at the panny this weekend, may be indeed it is a better choice.

How's the burn-in on it ? Does it have any protections ? Noise levels ?

The thing the most I fear is getting logos of programs burnt into it, most programs have those static things like CNN, BTV, Euro News etc etc...

And then it's movies that often have those black stripes on top and bottom.. I hear those are also visibly and easily burnt-in..

10. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    The pixel counts are not being compared equally - that is all that's wrong.

The Panasonic is 852*480 (408,960) * 3 (RGB) = 1226880

We've installed lots of Samsung panels (the S3 version) - I can tell you that the Panasonic comfortably outperforms it in all respects.

Steve

11. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha, nice ;)

I was actually looking for a minute the other day at the sammy in a shop and another brand (dont know what any more) and was kinda staring from 5cm away trying to see the 3 times more pixels, but couldn't ;) So I thought, heh it must be something that isnt visible that easily ;)

How about image retention and burn-in on the PWD7 ?

I red plenty more posts here on the forum about plasmas and the PWD7 seems to get mostly very high scores, except for no HD compatibility (which i dont really care about, as long as I can play my DVDs with Progressive Scan) but none of them really mentioned the dangers of retention and burn.

I'm really scared about this as I know i don't really care about what's shown on TV. I often just leave it on so that there's noise in the living room and go on the PC, or work on my laptop. I've red so much about these problems to the point I think I'll damage my screen in a week, if I just treat it as a normal television (plenty of ON time with not much focus on what's showing)..

12. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PWD7 has CRT level burn in protection. Basically, you're going to have to try VERY hard to get this puppy to burn in! :smashin:

13. Tommo41

Tommo41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

New bod Tommo here. Hope not duplicating, although couldn't find anything that was.

I have one of these Samsung models, and it's suffered none of the problems described here, BUT it does emit a loud buzzing noise.

An engineer came out to see it for my wife, and said ' that'll be the panel love, you'll need a new one'. We have never heard from him again.

Can anybody shed any light on this problem, likely causes, possible solutions?

Cheers

Tommo