Samsung PROTECTION??

kenny_1986

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey

On Sunday my brand new Samsung surround sound decided to keep playing up. THe sound kept cutting out along with the display if the main unit but the DVD would carry on playing. There would be a pop and all the speakers would go out. I had to turn it off and on then it worked again until it happened again. A couple of time PROTECTION scrolled acorss the screen before it went out. Any ideas? The system worked fine last night.

'PROTECTION' is a short somewhere, sometimes the speaker connections or if its housed in a cabinet getting hot due to poor ventilation

Intresting great thanks for that. It seems to work fine now thats the funny thing. I could return it and get given a replacement would you do this or do you think it will be all Ok now?

Actually, I know the exact problem.

I had the same problem with my DVD home theatre with surround sound. the problem is with overheating in the main unit.

Customer service will tell you it needs to sent off to a repair technician or engineer, but it is easily fixed if you happen to have knowledge of electronic or PC repair. If you're interested in fixing it yourself. all you need to do is replace the case fan.

There is a website called 4 my samsung that has the exact parts you need for every samsung product. it cost me £25 for a new case fan but it's much better than sending it off for a couple weeks and then probably paying more.

Before opening anything up, make sure you have full anti-static equipment and only do this if you're sure you know what you're doing. if you aren't sure, then you shouldn't be doing this.

unscrew the case,
take the case off,
remove the case fan,
put the new case fan in,
screw it all back up,
done.

make sure you have the exact same case fan. mine was 50mm x 50mm x 10mm at 12V by 0.14amps with a 2 pin connection. you can't use a PC case fan because they use 3 pin connections or molex connectors.

hope this helps.

In my own situation, I accidentally put in the new case fan the wrong way round and of course, caused the protection message. no threat - just open it back up and switch it round again. By doing it myself i had fixed it in 3 days and it only cost me £25.

Actually, I know the exact problem.

I had the same problem with my DVD home theatre with surround sound. the problem is with overheating in the main unit.

Customer service will tell you it needs to sent off to a repair technician or engineer, but it is easily fixed if you happen to have knowledge of electronic or PC repair. If you're interested in fixing it yourself. all you need to do is replace the case fan.

There is a website called 4 my samsung that has the exact parts you need for every samsung product. it cost me £25 for a new case fan but it's much better than sending it off for a couple weeks and then probably paying more.

Before opening anything up, make sure you have full anti-static equipment and only do this if you're sure you know what you're doing. if you aren't sure, then you shouldn't be doing this.

unscrew the case,
take the case off,
remove the case fan,
put the new case fan in,
screw it all back up,
done.

make sure you have the exact same case fan. mine was 50mm x 50mm x 10mm at 12V by 0.14amps with a 2 pin connection. you can't use a PC case fan because they use 3 pin connections or molex connectors.

hope this helps.

In my own situation, I accidentally put in the new case fan the wrong way round and of course, caused the protection message. no threat - just open it back up and switch it round again. By doing it myself i had fixed it in 3 days and it only cost me £25.

I opened my device and the fan looks like its spinning. Did your spin too? Does this mean my fan is working fine and its not the problem or maybe even though its spinning its still shorting out from the fan. Thanks

Hi,
I changed the fan in my 315R and this did not solve the problem for me. I do not think it is as straight forward as this in all cases - I have had the `protect` fault on two systems. There are no overheating / ventilation issues with my set up.

protect can be a multitude of things,so samsung would be the ones to contact, as you have found out, its not always the fan/overheating, it can also be loose/touching connections, or something else.

If you've opened it up and messed about with it I'm not sure how sympathetic Samsung will be to your plight.

i would take it back and get a brand new one mate, it shouldnt be overheating so soon after your purchase.:smashin:

The “PROTECTION” mode is commonly caused by a bad power regulator ic on the amp board. I have repaired many Samsung receivers and dvd players with this issue. Sometimes the regulator is shorted out and sometimes it may output insufficient voltage. In both cases, the protection circuit will kick in. The regulator is a 3 prong TO220 type transistor ic attached to a heat sink. There may be several so you will have to test for your specific model using a multimeter. Good luck!

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I did manage to fix an issue with my very old home theater with the suggestion from @ny-prince. One of the two SBR20A200CTFP (ITO220) was not reporting same voltage drop when keeping black pole on cathode, test red pole on anode 1 and then on anode 2. I followed some tutorials on how to test this Schottky diode using multimeter.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom