1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

samsung plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jmack, Aug 21, 2002.

1. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i noticed today that www.nexnix.co.uk are selling a samsung 42 plasma for £2450.00 + vat
    does anyone know anything about this plasma ?
    is it any good?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It had a pretty poor review in one of the Magazines recently, other than that I dont really know, any way I thought you were a Philips to Toshiba convert.

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am a toshiba man and its great cant find a fault with it.
    but the price of the samsung just stuck out when i seen the price,
    so i was just intrested in people`s thoughts the price are dropping across the board with plasma now.
    which is good and bad. how long before i am not the only one out of my group of freinds with one

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
  5. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Be a little wary of *cheap* plasmas ... my first was an Orion 42 (though I think it is rebadged by other 'cheap' manufacturers/suppliers judging from their pics ...

It had a very poor contrast ratio which gave severe posterisation on most colours, especially skintones and anything below 50% grey went black !!

It also could not cope with a progressive scan signal from my dvd player ... so it went back ...

Million times happier with my panny - bizarrely only £350 more expensive than the Orion (I got a full refund despite the price drop !!)

6. England100

England100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Would this be the Samsung PS-42P2S? Now in Dixons for £2999 inc delivery. It comes with a set top box with Nicam and Teletext and 1 composite, 1 S-Video, 2 TGB.

Fanless and progressive scan, split screen, 600cd but 'only' 700:1 contrast.

Worth considering, anybody own one?

7. lidders

lidders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know about plasmas but I have had a CRT set for some time now from Samsung.
    I encountered a problem with it and I can say that the customers service is dreadful.
    It takes forever to get through to them. It took 5 months to change a tv with a problem. This was due to the fact that each time I phoned no record could be found of the previous calls. Even after getting a name of a supervisor, this person was never available.
    I only mention it as I have seen a number of posts where slight plasma problems have to be dealt with by the manufacturer. I personaly would prefer the little extra for a panny or similar and the expert advice of someone like Joe.
    If only I colud afford one. The other half wants a conservatory first!!

LIDDERS