1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Valeboy, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Valeboy

Valeboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First post - struggling a bit with a Samsung.

Have Sky Digital, which has Scart, have plasma which has s-video input, so I bought a Scart to s-video cable, and it won't work. Managed to get the plasma working with video&audio cables from DVD to video in, and with a laptop via the VGA, but cannot for the life of me get the Sky box to work.

Do I need other cables, or am I just being thick?

2. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My s-vid to scart cable is one way, the OPPOSITE of the way you want, feeds from s-vid TO scart (not used with my samsung though) , maybe yours is too?

My samsung automatically recognises an input, it fact it usually switches to it upon detection so I would guess that's not the problem.

3. Valeboy

Valeboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe that's what it is, (I'm quite new to this) - what other ways are there? Scart to composite?

4. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You have scart FROM sky ?
    Is the scart only running s-vid (or is it RGB !! ??)
    Does your samsung have scart ?
    Have you tried a scart to scart cable?
    In/Output settings (shouldn't really be many/any) are correct both ends?

Then maybe your cable is one way (or broken).

Composite should be your last option (poorer picture quality).

5. Valeboy

Valeboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung doesn't have scart, would have been far easier if it did. Cable may be only one way, I had it working s-vid to scart on my dvd to TV. Samsung has component 1/ component 2 inputs. 5 phono connectors (bnc on component 2), are these RGB and L/R audio? In which case is there a Scart to component (?) lead available, then just running normal phono leads for the audio from the Sky box to the plasma?

Alternatively, the plasma has a s-vid input, and the sky box has a s-vid output - would that work? Would I need audio leads as well?

Plasma also has a Video in (the normal yellow video phono with L/R audio) - is there a scart to this arrangement lead?

What would be the best set up?

So many questions, sorry, but I've looked for advice on the net and this the best site I've come across.

6. Valeboy

Valeboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is CCFC Cardiff?

7. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes and yes. But s-vid is not as good as rgb, though it's better than composite (yellow)

Yes, but you'd thank me for suggesting this is for 'testing only'.

Physically, best to best. Scart from Sky to component on tv, but it may not be that simple. Does your sky use RGB through the scart? If so, then you can get a scart to component (or 'Y Cr Cb' - and other names).

This throws up two issues; does the samsung accept RGB signal through component cable (your manual may tell you)? That would be cool, buy the correct cable.

** we are now exiting the john's-understanding zone**

If not, you may need to convert whatever signal your sky can offer to something better, using a gadget (not necessarily cheap, or effective - MY samsung won't work with them). There could be all manner of technical issues involved with not using same plugs on both ends of your cable.

My s-vid cable works the way yours did from device/s-vid to scart/tv. Sounds like it's one way.

8. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Coventry (don't know which is worse these days)

9. Valeboy

Valeboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much John, that pretty much answers all questions, I'll take a trip out tomorrow.

I drove past the Jaguar Arena today (is it still to be called that?), very impressive, a shame that you may be entertaining the likes of my team (Port Vale - and you think you have suffered...) in it next season.

Thanks again.

10. Valeboy

Valeboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One more thing, if the Component Scart affair does work, I'll still need the L/R audio leads won't I?

11. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yeah, scart is the only plug that will carry both.

A lot of people (myself included) handle video and audio completely separately. My AV amp receives an audio input from every device I have. My plasma shows whichever image I want to see. Basically, two cables go off in different directions from each device. Some AV amps have good enough video capabilities to be put all of your video though them as well as your audio. My AV amp only uses s-vid all-round. None of my devices operate on such a low signal.

Why not put your sky audio cables into your hi-fi? Won't be 5.1 but it will sound great. And your DVD player, and Xbox. Come one, get them all in your hi-fi.

( . . welcome to a very slippery slope . . ) :devil:

12. Valeboy

Valeboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're dead right, slippery slope indeed.

How will I know if the Sky Box is passing RGB down it's scart?

13. sandy

sandy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Valeboy and JohnCCFC

We have Samsung 42D4 and currently use Joytech scart switcher box (available from Play.com) and the JS RGB to component switcher box which allows one cable into the component RCA's and they work great.

Hope this will help cut down the cable clutter!

Sandy

14. Valeboy

Valeboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks very much for that Sandy, however, I might as well be reading Dutch. I think I'll get a cheap s-vid to s-vid for now, and then do some more research is in order before splashing out any more money.

Thanks very much both for all the advice.

15. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    sandy, what do you put through the JS box, and how improved is it? Have you tried sky+. if you could elaborate on what the box has done to various sources that would be neat.

valeboy, the stuff sandy was talking about is the gadgets I mentioned. one was an 'signal improver' (poetic licence) and one allows many cables to work neatly together. for now, your options are s-vid if you have it or yellow composite if you don't. then find out from your sky manual if RGB is sent through scart. then, look in the samsung manual and see whether RGB is received/allowed in through your component inputs. if yes and yes, then get a scart to component cable for best pic. else, get yourself a half decent s-vid cable and stop just shy of the slippery slope I mentioned.

16. Valeboy

Valeboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh no, I fancy a slide down it...

;)

Thanks all.

17. sandy

sandy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John

We have sky+ and a dvd recorder fed through the Joytech, which in turn, is fed into the JS box. Sky+ on the whole is very good and dvd, in my view, is excellent. For the money, the Joytech box (about £40) is I think, worth it as you can feed it with RGB sources. Picture quality is good too!!

Cheers!

Sandy

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    valeboy the cable you have will not work Sky boxes (one exception) has RGB and composite scart only what connections has the plasma got? sorry if this has been answered but i should be able to sort it out...(how adverse are you to spending a few quid) and what else do you own.......

19. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    sandy, I have no probs with scart issues though my missus is getting the joytech for hers. What I'm really interested in is as precise a description of the improvement the JS box gives, and you are the first person I've spoken to who has one with a D4. The D4 is not on their list of compatible panels so I spoke to the company and was not really advised to buy one. I actually asked them, initially, whether the VGA or component box would be my best step. They replied that they're not sure whether either would improve anything. What does it do the the 'effects'? (skin tones, poor greyscale etc).

Thanks

20. sandy

sandy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John

I've found the JS box makes things muted but more natural to the eye. As for skintones, can't notice much difference as it wasn't something we had a problem with anyway. To be honest, the JS box was a Xmas present and although I like the picture through the component box, it's debatable whether the difference is worth £100+. We've had this panel about 5 months and feel we've been very lucky with it as the all round picture quality is great, compared to the first one we got; an LG which lasted all of a week before returning it with lipsynch problems and Max Headroom effect! Here are my settings to see if they will help
    Contrast - 49
    Brightness - 47
    Sharpness - 37
    Colour - 38
    Colour tone - Normal
    DNIE - On
    Digital NR - On
    These work really well for me - might be a starting point for you.

Cheers!

Sandy

21. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sandy, your values are similar to mine expect I don't use the built in processing DNIE etc. Thanks for that.