1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Plasma help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MrPudding, Sep 1, 2004.

1. MrPudding

MrPudding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This is my first post and would be really grateful if someone could help me out.

Ive been looking at a few plasma screens lately and there looks like there is a lot of difference between performance. However today i looked at a Samsung PS42v4s which for the price didnt seem to bad.

However i cant find anything review wise in magazines and on the Internet. Its not even on Samsungs website. I normally wouldnt go for a Samsung, but i made the salesman play the same DVD same scene on 3 plasma screens and the Samsung hold its own pretty well.

The other plasmas was a Sony and a Phillips, not sure of models though. If anyone knows of somewhere i can read up on this screen i would be most grateful.

Im not after something that is simple stunning, just something that i can watch a movie/football matches on and play some X-box, ps2 games.

Hope you can help!

Cheers

Mark

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    What price was the samsung, and how much are you prepared to spend? I'm afraid that the superior quality on the samsung, if all setups were equal, is merely a sad reflection of the current state of play with Sony and Philips plasmas than brilliant Samsung picture. New ones are by no means as dreadful as previous models, but it's usually possible to improve on without breaking the bank.

3. MrPudding

MrPudding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. Im going to rent the TV as its only going to cost me £69.99 a month from Martin Dawes. I would rather do that than spend £1799.99 which was the price i could of got it for.

I wasnt sure what the Sony was that he compared it to, it was Sonys new Wega Plasma which was a horrible looking big bulky black plasma. We compared Monsters Inc on both sets, and i was surprised the way the Samsung delt with it.

So what ya reckon??

4. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Go and have a look again but get them to play a non-animation DVD. Animated DVDs have a reputation for looking pretty good on all plasmas - but you really want to see how it deals with "normal" DVDs - with people (skin tone) etc.! :)

5. MrPudding

MrPudding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Ooopss yeah i forgot, i got em to play HULK the movie. Yet again its seemed pretty good. When they tried it on the Sony, the black was almost a tint of green in it and looked very blocky.

I never relised how tricky this would be hahaha

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Check your finances, £70 PCM = pay for plasma in 2 years 2 months. Gulp!

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Samsung "V" is now £1650 online

8. MrPudding

MrPudding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HHHmmm, now i am confused, but is it any good for that money. Thing is i can change it for a better one in 6 months if i dont like it, if i buy it and it doesnt do what i wanna do, then im £1650 out of pocket.

Ive been renting for over 7 years now and i get to change sets every 6 months if i like, so i can keep up with whats coming out. I just wanted to know if this is a good start to get into the world of Plasma at a relatively small price per month.

I also get a DVD recorder and a Phillips LCD flatscreen thrown in for a extra £10 per month.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you can afford it, why not then? If you like plasmas after that I'd recommend buying a good one though, Pioneer or Panasonic, maybe Fujitsu.

10. resolution

resolution

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would normally never look at "Other" no brand units like Samsung etc.. but I was very surprised to hear that Sony don't as yet make a Plasma unit but receive units from Samsung (Respect) ...Apparently Sony are setting for production but they are not yet online. If you wish to see a review of the Samsung PS42P4A it along with the Philips 42PF9986 (LCD) /Pioneer PDP435FDE/Panasonic TH42PW7/Toshiba 42WP46 are all reviewed...Philips came out on top (No surprise given its £4600) then the Pioneer followed by SAMSUNG...Panasonic..Toshiba. With the above in mind how can the Sony units be different to view unless the (Wega engine and bits help change the screen? I suppose so?)

Purchase the Home Cinema magazine to read the review..as I did today
    (W H Smith) issue: 113 £3.99
    Good luck.

11. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The samsung isn't very good with motion (lots of banding and blurring with pans) and dark pictures (loses a lot of detail). I used to own one and it was an ok TV, but nowhere near as good as the Panasonic PWD6 that I ended up replacing it with.

The Samsung broke on me twice with the same fault and apparently lots of people have been returning them for this reason (sudden appearance of vertical lines of dead pixels).

12. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a thought:

if you like the Samsung, try renting the Philips 42PF9956 if the shop can get it. its even better than the Samsung. the old version, the 42PF9946, is around every dixons/currys for you to demo - i think you may well love it.

and i dont think the samsung is bad at all, as you found out yourself. funnily enough i just mentioned in a post earlier today how i thought they were underrated, so it doesnt surprise me you preferred it. MAW informs that the Philips uses the Samsung panel.

renting's a great idea by the way - is there any minimum length? might be a good way to live with a plasma for a month before spending £2-4k on one for us buying them...

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215