Samsung Plasma as a PC monitor

Do you use/have used a Plasma as a monitor screen?

• Yay

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

hjn123

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello All and Happy Holidays!

I'm looking for my next TV

Samsung Galaxy S and previous 40 inch LCD have both been working flawlessly so I'm feeling another Samsung product.

Got my mind set on 46 - 55 inch range and my budget is up to a £1000

Possible contenders:

- Samsung PS51D6900 - Samsung PS51D6900 51-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

- Samsung PS51D550 - Samsung PS51D550 51-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

The idea in this set-up is this TV will do everything, the connected devices will consist of:

- PS3 ~ gaming, blue ray 3D

- Xbox 360 ~ gaming

- SEGA Dreamcast ~ Soul Calibur!

- PC ~ gaming, flims, general browsing

All the devices will probably see about equal use mostly PC, but never for more than a few hours at a time, I'm pretty good when it comes to making sure things are not left on and will take proper precautions like screen savers/TVs anti burn in tech, etc.

Is this a good idea?

Would it be best to go for the more expensive option due to the amount of use it will see, and the newer model might have more burn in prevention tech than the older model?

Would it be better just to go for a smaller LED in this case?

I'm aware that burn in is Plasma is more of a thing of the past but still very possible on modern sets, the question is, is it up to the task.

Many thanks
hjn123

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Looks like you get a bit of IR when using as a monitor for a few hours, but it goes away after a while, this is backed up by a few reviews for the more expensive one.

If anyone has one of these models and would like to add their 2 pence, that would be great.

Regards
hjn123

I've got the 59D6900 and it is an excellent screen.

However I am confused about your requirement, you pool title is use a PC Monitor hence I said no as it is to big and too low a resolution. But then I read your post and you do nothing classed as pc use...So yes possibly

Hello

I am aware of how "big" it will look, 1080p over 51 inches is rather large, what I am asking is:

Is it a good idea to use a Plasma as a monitor? as being used as a monitor would subject it to a lot of still images for long periods of time.

I am going to be sitting far back from it most the time.

I would not use a plasma for still images. In the past, for call centres and the like, I've had pixel shift boxes installed to reduce the burn effect kicking in but it still does over a period of time. For example whilst the container inside a browser changes you can still see the outside of a browser. However in those applications it was a) a very long time ago and b) the screens were on 24 hours per day ;)

The 59D6900 does have a built in pixel shift mechanism but I haven't tried that out and no intention of trying either :)

The 59D6900 does have a built in pixel shift mechanism but I haven't tried that out and no intention of trying either :)
It's a bit rubbish. Introduces thin black borders on the edges of the image which kind of defeats its purpose. :thumbsdow

There are a few reasons I wouldn't use my D6900 for typical PC (or even gaming) duties. The main one is the risk of IR and screen burn: I really don't want a Windows task bar burned into the screen, or a browser window. Another annoying thing is line bleed. You don't see it often when looking at normal video material, but start looking at a white window with dark text or images on it and it becomes more apparent.

As much as I love my D6900, I'd rather have an LCD panel dedicated for PC use.

It's a bit rubbish. Introduces thin black borders on the edges of the image which kind of defeats its purpose. :thumbsdow

There are a few reasons I wouldn't use my D6900 for typical PC (or even gaming) duties. The main one is the risk of IR and screen burn: I really don't want a Windows task bar burned into the screen, or a browser window. Another annoying thing is line bleed. You don't see it often when looking at normal video material, but start looking at a white window with dark text or images on it and it becomes more apparent.

As much as I love my D6900, I'd rather have an LCD panel dedicated for PC use.

I have faith that a 2011 model plasma should be up to the task, problem with LCD/LED is the response time, Is there anything you could recommend as a good alternative?

46 inch LED from sony might be a good start, maybe Ill just bite the bullet and get a plasma and run it as a monitor anyway :rolleyes:

I have faith that a 2011 model plasma should be up to the task, problem with LCD/LED is the response time, Is there anything you could recommend as a good alternative?

46 inch LED from sony might be a good start, maybe Ill just bite the bullet and get a plasma and run it as a monitor anyway :rolleyes:
You'll be fine if you use a plasma sensibly. Probably anyway. I've yet to see any form of IR on my D6900 panel (but then I don't have the cell light or contrast on max like others tend to do).

I have mine hooked up to my HTPC, but don't do anything PC-centric on it. If I do fire up the browser (which is exceedingly rare these days), it's only for a few minutes (e.g. to download software or drivers in the background). Mostly it's just stuck on Windows Media Centre for viewing TV etc.

You'll be fine if you use a plasma sensibly. Probably anyway. I've yet to see any form of IR on my D6900 panel (but then I don't have the cell light or contrast on max like others tend to do).

I have mine hooked up to my HTPC, but don't do anything PC-centric on it. If I do fire up the browser (which is exceedingly rare these days), it's only for a few minutes (e.g. to download software or drivers in the background). Mostly it's just stuck on Windows Media Centre for viewing TV etc.

I'm sure if I just set a screen saver to run after 5 minutes and make sure I don't let a static image on screen for more a hour or two that should cover me, for PC side of things, it will ether be used for listening to music on youtube or gaming, and never more than a couple of hours at a time. I'm sure it will be fine, really hoping to move on from LCD tech, and Plasma looks the way to go.

I would not use plasma for a static image for an hour or two. Really would not do it and stay with LCD tech.

I would not use plasma for a static image for an hour or two. Really would not do it and stay with LCD tech.

Nearly 15 years for tech development and a hour or two would cause permanent burn in?

Maybe I will have to use a LCD

hjn123 said:
Nearly 15 years for tech development and a hour or two would cause permanent burn in?

Maybe I will have to use a LCD

Well you might be able to adjust the panel settings but then the image is such poor quality that the benefit of a plasma is gone.

I think there is room for both systems and each have their advantages and disadvantages. Pick those that match your habits best.

I voted yes as I have used a plasma for PC use when I had no monitor. After around a week I had bad IR of the UI from 3DS Max. Id used the set for around 6 hours per day for about 6 days, I had bad IR for over a week. I now use a monitor.:)

For movies and games, yes, for use with PC software, no, not a good idea.:nono: LCD was I believe, created for static display, plasma was invented with motion in mind.

Well you should not have voted yes then :D What are moderators coming too these days? ;)

i voted yes to this "Do you use/have used a Plasma as a monitor screen?" I have;)

This forum is so big they can afford to make us now........something went worng with the last batch though and Im all thats left, defective but I have my uses:laugh:

I have decided to get a 27 inch LED monitor instead... I know, random.

Reason being every single plasma out there at the moment seems to have some inherent fault with it, and if this is the most money I'm going to be spending for a while, I don't want it to arrive "broken" out the box.

Lets see what 2012 has to offer, but unless company's up the anti then I'm going to give up on TV altogether, put my money towards that 250cc I always wanted :D

Thank you all for your suggestions

hjn123

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom