• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung Plasma 2012 TV recommended picture settings shown with menu examples

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
pictureperfect_130.png
The following menu examples are from the Samsung E8000 (PS51E8000) Flagship 3D Plasma TV, other Samsung TVs may have fewer settings.

Note: If your TV has been previously calibrated by a professional, then making adjustments to your TV's picture will undo that work.

Disclaimer: We have suggested the settings below as a starting point from which you can proceed to Step 3 of our guide to further refine your TV's picture. We provide no guarantee that making the adjustments below will improve your TV's picture but, broadly speaking, it *should* do.

Basic Settings Page 1.
This is the first page of settings in the Picture Menu.
Select the Movie Picture Mode but do not change any of the other settings on this page without the appropriate tools, such as test patterns. We will show you how to do this in Step 3 of the PicturePerfect campaign.

Samsung_2012_Plasma_Menu1.jpg

Move down through the options in Basic Settings Page 1 to reach Page 2.

Basic Settings Page 2.
The Picture sub-menus (Screen Adjustment, Advanced Settings and Picture Options) are found on this page of the basic settings.

Samsung_2012_LCD_Menu2.jpg

Note : If you think you have made a mistake with any of your TV picture adjustments, selecting the Reset Picture option will return the TV picture to its default settings. From here you can start your picture adjustments from the beginning.

From Basic Settings Page 2 select Screen Adjustment.
On this menu page, for High Definition content, select a Picture Size of Screen Fit.

Samsung_2012_LCD_Menu3.jpg

From Basic Settings Page 2 select Advanced Settings to get this first of two advanced settings pages.
We recommend you copy these settings to your Samsung TV.

Samsung_2012_Plasma_Menu4.jpg

On the Advanced Settings page, navigate to the bottom and scroll down to see Advanced Settings Page 2.

Samsung_2012_Plasma_Menu5.jpg

From Basic Settings Page 2 select Picture Options.

Samsung_2012_Plasma_Menu6.jpg

And that's it for Step 2 on Samsung TVs. Proceed to Step 3 for information on how to adjust the final controls.

Last edited:
Hi Stuart. This might be ever so slightly off topic (so please feel free to move this to a new thread) but when using Game Mode, Dynamic Contrast and Edge Enhancement are set to Medium and On respectively.

Given Game Mode reduces input lag by disabling most video processing, would turning these default settings off reduce lag further or would you recommend keeping the settings as they are and if so can I ask why?

Last edited:

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
Hi stuart, I feel that this can be great, but can also cause a few problems, with adding warm or warm2 colour temp( things can look very orange) now this is gonna chuck the picture out unless a 2pt wb is done shorely.

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Hi Stuart. This might be ever so slightly off topic (so please feel free to move this to a new thread) but when using Game Mode, Dynamic Contrast and Edge Enhancement are set to Medium and On respectively.

Given Game Mode reduces input lag by disabling most video processing, would turning these default settings off reduce lag further or would you recommend keeping the settings as they are and if so can I ask why?

We'd recommend those processing features were turned off in any case Paul, so it's certainly not going to do the cause any harm but those types of processing don't really contribute to lag in a meaningful way.

Hi stuart, I feel that this can be great, but can also cause a few problems, with adding warm or warm2 colour temp( things can look very orange) now this is gonna chuck the picture out unless a 2pt wb is done shorely.

Hi Scott

Yes, point taken but our recent experiences with Samsung's would definitely indicate that Warm 2 will give the most accurate (and nicest) pictures over the other Colour Tones (Temps).

Of course there will be some panel variance and the odd time Warm1 will come in a bit closer but, as broad-brush advice, Warm 2 is a better bet. It's also the reason why the disclaimer is placed firmly at the top of the page:)

Cheers

Mark

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
Hi Scott

Yes, point taken but our recent experiences with Samsung's would definitely indicate that Warm 2 will give the most accurate (and nicest) pictures over the other Colour Tones (Temps).

Of course there will be some panel variance and the odd time Warm1 will come in a bit closer but, as broad-brush advice, Warm 2 is a better bet. It's also the reason why the disclaimer is placed firmly at the top of the page:)

Cheers

Mark
Hi mark, no i totaly see where your coming from im just going from my own experiance from my panel, that when i did it recentaly i used warm2 on my d550 59" and it tinted everything orange/red and was very unnatural(even know it is the closet colour temp to d65)
and without a 2ptwb adjustment people like me will think well if this is close to calibration it looks terrible, even a 2pt wb adjustment by eye can make a world of difference(just my op) but thanks and its a great idea

Last edited:

keww

Standard Member
ill give your settings a go; but ill need to photograph my settings first incase the other half doesn't like it.
A good option you (stuart) could suggest to manufactures is the ability to save your presets and name them i.e. movie, ps3, sky hd.
I recently purchased WOW and spent a bit of time altering settings (using my ps3) and i was ish ok with the results but when i switched back to sky hd content i got the impression id lost some vibrance of colours and even the hi def pictures seem to be somewhere between sd-hd.
looking forward to the completion of your video tuts.
keep up the good work.

madmackem

Would you recommend the same settings for the 2011 model PS51D8000 ?(just got a new one from ebuyer) I have everything connected through an Onkyo HT-R380 amp.

Cheers

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Can you make it clear that the settings in the first image are not what you’re recommending to people(i.e. contrast and cell) these are as you state the controls that need to be adjusted with the correct patterns ideally. Also contrast and brightness settings will vary depending on lighting and the individuals set.

The picture is just to show the options available.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
With the exception of the first page, those are our recommended settings.

On the first page we say:

Basic Settings Page 1.
Select the Movie Picture Mode but do not change any of the other settings on this page without the appropriate tools, such as test patterns. We will show you how to do this in Step 3 of the PicturePerfect campaign.

falkirkdaft

With the exception of the first page, those are our recommended settings.

On the first page we say:

Basic Settings Page 1.

where is step 3?

omar01709

Standard Member
I've just bought the PS51E8000, and the screen fit option isn't there, but the "Auto Wide" option is... Should I use that instead?

EDIT - I think it may be because I haven't hooked up my Sky HD box yet to the TV... Have done all the other settings though, and the TV will not be touched again til after installation, so fingers crossed, it should all be good :)

Last edited:

omar01709

Standard Member
Is it ok to use BD Wise during the break in period? I have inadverdently been using the out of the box settings for it whenever I have been adjusting the settings of my Home Cinema, so its mainly been static images, and was only recently changed to break in BD Wise mode settings a couple of nights ago. I checked my MRT that night, just before I changed the settings, and it was at 78hrs, of those hrs, the out of the box BD Wise settings probably accounted for 2-3hrs of infrequent use of menus with a static background, with the scrolling bar being left on overnight semi-regularly as a precaution against IR/burn in.

Are the use of the scrolling bar and adjusted BD Wise settings ok? The cell light is set at 14 (now to 10 as extra precaution) contrast at 55, brightness was initially set at 45 by myself, and is now at 35, and sharpness isn now set at 10 on the BD Wise mode...

Many thanks.

omar01709

Standard Member
Yeah, I wanted to be sure that those pesky phosphors didn't get too excited lol. Would it be advisable to slightly increase the settings and delay using my spears and munsill disc for another 50 or so hours? I was originally going to use the disc after 150hrs. I have done as of this morning, 88 hours with the vast majority on the conservative settings that I quoted previously, with the exception being that I had set it to Movie mode rather than BD Wise.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
I would use Movie mode as it's more accurate but there's nothing stopping you from using your S&M disc to setup the Brightness and Contrast now, you can always double check once you've put 200 hours on your Samsung.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
Yes it is really, it's designed to deliver the optimal settings when you connect your Samsung BD player but it doesn't do that; my advice is to turn it off and follow our guidelines.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom