Samsung picture problem

P

puffypuss

Can anybody please help me?

I bought a samsung ps42v4s plasma from comet on saturday for £1650!! I thought woo hoo!

The shop assistants layed the box on its front in the back of my car (Ive been told by a few people that this damages them?!? is this true? don't say owt in the manual)

Got it home, unpacked and put it on the stand rigged her up and turned it on! MMmm poor picture from the sky + i though scart leads so i typed into google "is s-video better than scart" and found you guys and a very helpful post!

I then changed the scart to a s-video lead then found a post about moving the sky dish, so out came the ladder alot of fine adjustment got the picture quality to 75% on both recivers and 100% signal strenth!

Still a bad picture!!

Its only sometimes close ups of faces look very bad and there seems to be a lot of ghosting (like a really poor grafix card on a pc)

Its the same on the PS2 (scart) and the dvd player (s-video)

Is this supposed to be like this of is it a duff one ??

Please help im going mad £1650 is alot of money :lease:

I bought a 42" plasma from currys and it was delivered to my house. The picture quality is not that good. Very fuzzy. Im goning to get better quality scart lead.

OK

first thing is make sure you have your sky box set to RGB and going into the correct input on the plasma.

Go to the picture settings and do the following.....
have you got a setting like, dynamic, ciema, standard etc. etc. if so try standard or cinema.

Next make sure the contrast is below half way.
Turn the colour down till it doesn't look like a cartoon, and people dont look like they have been on a sunbed for far too long.
turn the brightness down with a dark scene untill you start too loose detail, then knock it back up a touch.
have you got a sharpness setting? if yes put up the sky tv guide and turn down the sharpness untill it starts to look soft, then turn it back up, you will see when the sharpness is set too high cause you it will start to see ghosting on the right hand side ege of the text.
See if you have colour temp or similar, see what it says in your manual as one of them may be D65, normally normal but sometimes warm.

It would be well worth getting a calibration DVD and getting the most out of it.

Also some displays work better with a contrast round 50% on the panel and a low setting on the sky box.
Mine tends to look better with medium setting on my sky box and the contrast on my plasma set around 35%.

I used to own a PS42V4SX and the problems you are describing are normal. The Samsung suffers from 'dragging' of colours during panning, or objects moving steadily along the screen. It's most noticable on flesh tones which get nasty red borders during pans. You don't have a faulty model, this ghosting is normal on the PS42V4SX.

To improve the picture turn off DNIe which over sharpens everything whist losing a lot of gradient and colour detial. Maybe also turn off DNR. If you connect your DVD via component, you should notice a large improvement in picture quality, s-video is rubbish. Make sure you buy a component cable for your console too. You can get one for PS2 and XBox. Oh yeah and make sure your scart is set to 'RGB' in the Sky service menu.

I orderd the samsung but after reading loads of posts on here I had to return it.

I bought a PW7 from av-sales and it is so much better than the samsung, you should be happy the first day you set it all up not fealing down !

send it back mate and buy the PW7 or PW6, you wont find 1 bad post of these plama forums every 1 bums them big time.

good luck !

jamieuk23 said:
every 1 bums them big time.

good luck !

I must be getting too old as I have no idea what is meant by this, :laugh:

Thanks all for the advise :)

Cant take it back now left the (massive) box outside last night (missis winging) and it rained (D'oh)!

Have had a good play with the picture settings and it don't look to bad now (standard setting for the contrast is 80 looks good at 46!)

Anyway the moral of this story is DONT IMPULSE BUY CHECK WITH AV FORUMS FIRST! i wont be doing it again LOL

You can get a pretty decent picture out of it if you try. Make sure you get component cables for your consoles and DVD player. It makes a world of difference.

bought a PS42v4s from Empire in Bradford for £1599. Just getting my head around it but the Picture in Picture mode is still baffling me. Has anyone found out how to display a TV picture with a second source other than "component". I can select TV from the list and then select the swap mode but when selecting the second souce only Component is highlighted in the list.

Not got much hair and its getting less with this one......D

voo_doo_100 said:
bought a PS42v4s from Empire in Bradford for £1599. Just getting my head around it but the Picture in Picture mode is still baffling me. Has anyone found out how to display a TV picture with a second source other than "component". I can select TV from the list and then select the swap mode but when selecting the second souce only Component is highlighted in the list.

Not got much hair and its getting less with this one......D

For PiP, one source MUST be component.

JohnCCFC said:
For PiP, one source MUST be component.
Thanks for that John...theres a bit more now. I have my dvd player on the component input but when I turn on the player, the PIP turns itself off and refuses to be turned on until the dvd is put into standby.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom