Samsung PC Mode and Uverse 720p/1080i

Justin Brushett

Novice Member
Reaction score
First off, since this is my first post I'd like to say that this forum has been very helpful over the
past couple days with calibrating my TV picture. Up next is Audio and I know I have lots of
interesting reading ahead of me.

Anyway, my question is regarding Samsung PC mode and why the settings are different when using Uverse set on 720p vs 1080i.

I have a Samsung FH6030 series TV. The Uverse is connected through a Panasonic AV receiver (not sure of the model right now).

Since both my PC, PS3, and the Uverse box are connected through the AV receiver and then to my TV, I have the TV set to PC mode to view the PC correctly. When I select the PC, my TV switches to PC mode, when I switch to Uverse, it switches PC mode off. However when I use Uverse it must be setup to 1080i for this to work. If I have the Uverse setup to 720p the TV remains in PC mode.

Does anyone have a reason why this would be happening? For reference, the PS3 menu also keeps the TV in PC Mode but Bluray/Video Games switch PC mode off. Could this be a color (limited vs full) or an overscan issue? What exactly is Samsung's PC mode?

Its not really a big deal since I don't believe there are many major differences between 1080i and 720p with Uverse (I find they both look pretty bad at times compared to when I used to have DirecTV), but this just had me very curious. I tried searching and could not find any answers to this.

Thanks for your time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom